TYW Themed Event - The Insurrection

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: TYW Themed Event - The Insurrection

Post by rexhurley »

rbodleyscott wrote:
awesum4 wrote:I will be in for whatever tournament is set up. I like the random armies, not so sure about potluck terrain but it certainly makes it interesting.

I think 30 years war is probably the most evenly matched period, but would be happy to play age of Machiavelli.
Certainly Age of Machiavelli will have more variety than Italian Wars. However, for both periods I am not sure that "Large" armies represent the period well (that was my main reason for not wanting to enter the proposed Italian Wars tournament). It would be more realistic with "Medium" armies

Also there is Le Roi Soleil to be considered. With Pot Luck armies this should be quite well balanced, as people will not be able to maximise their foot, and "Large" armies are certainly appropriate..
Thanks Richard will keep both of those comments (re size) in mind for future events
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Imperialists having a Turkish Bath.jpg
Imperialists having a Turkish Bath.jpg (206.09 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
The Turkish Generals, Viziers, beylerbeys, sancakbeys and high ranking Kapi Kulu were heard earlier today chanting "I know I can, I know I can,..." :D
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Maybe next time we shouldn't do attack scenarios. Reading the most recent battle report in the results thread, and looking at the two attack scenarios I'm playing atm, it seems we all march around the walls and flank the fortifications. The walls work against the AI, but i suspect we're about to see a whole lot of attackers winning.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ianiow

Post by ianiow »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:Maybe next time we shouldn't do attack scenarios. Reading the most recent battle report in the results thread, and looking at the two attack scenarios I'm playing atm, it seems we all march around the walls and flank the fortifications. The walls work against the AI, but i suspect we're about to see a whole lot of attackers winning.
I agree. The tactics are always the same and the attacker invariably wins.
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

ianiow wrote:
SnuggleBunnies wrote:Maybe next time we shouldn't do attack scenarios. Reading the most recent battle report in the results thread, and looking at the two attack scenarios I'm playing atm, it seems we all march around the walls and flank the fortifications. The walls work against the AI, but i suspect we're about to see a whole lot of attackers winning.
I agree. The tactics are always the same and the attacker invariably wins.
Yup how about the reinforcement options as a game mode?

The other option is perhaps in the future if as the defender you had the option to breakdown your defences and redeploy them as you choose should negate that
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Maybe next time we shouldn't do attack scenarios. Reading the most recent battle report in the results thread, and looking at the two attack scenarios I'm playing atm, it seems we all march around the walls and flank the fortifications. The walls work against the AI, but i suspect we're about to see a whole lot of attackers winning.
Now, now gentlemen... if you are defending you will always surrender the initiative. For every problem there is a solution! You know the opponent is always going to outflank you so now you know the opponents plan before you deploy. Deploy accordingly and let him come on. When the moment is right do the unexpected!
I'm not saying I have the answers but tactically the unexpected can throw an opponent off balance long enough to enact your own plan. I am so enjoying the tourney and I haven't won a battle yet! Very few battles in history were even but the flair and the surprises, and the unexpected results throughout these battle are a constant source of enjoyment... to go in at a disadvantage and pull it off... that's the real excitement! Give me some untrained mobs and concentrated fire, and if I rout a Tercio what a grand achievement!
Pardon the dismissive tone, I'm new at all this. Wouldn't being able to design your army to reflect the tactic you are going to use help in these types of battles?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The mob gets in on the action.jpg
The mob gets in on the action.jpg (184.92 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
This mob doesn't have the common sense to be afraid of Heavy Horse when their blood is up! These poor souls must be from the further reaches of the Ottoman Empire. At the same time, they ARE chained together and being prodded by select islamic fundamentalists. Some levy, I believe have been soaked in oil and been given torches to carry :D
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

I think I am going to lose as the attacker, have ended up fighting several of his units behind the fortifications as he has used his flank protectors very well, and also rushed my guns with dragoons forcing me to chase them with tercios, I've destroyed the dragoons but weakened my main attack for several terms. Its an exciting fun game.

I wasn't too sure about the format, but it works in my opinion. But we have reached the limits in how many games is a reasonable number to play at one time. My suggestion for the next tournament is get pools of 5 players, do 2 open battles and one flank march and one defend against flank march. Top two players in each pool go into a second round of two open battles and two attack/defend games. The highest scoring losers get added in to make the pool up to five players.
If we had 20 players to start (which is 6 more than this time and easily achievable I think) we could have a 3 round competition. 4 pools of 5 in the first, 2 pools of 5 in the second and a grand final of 5.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I think attacker battles/defender battles could be tweeked by using the custom option to decrease the map width to the minimal allowed , which is 16 hexes. With large armies the fortified hexes will stretch closer to the "edge of the world" and the attacker cannot so handily go around the flanks..

I did a quick test, potluck , large armies , custom reduced map width: the AI as the defender had fortifications across 9 of the 16 grid width ( 3 open on one flank, 4 on the other)
So, the attacker can bash against infantry behind fortifications or they can attack on a narrow three or 4 grid front on one or both flanks.. Seems would be a bit harder, but the would need to be tested. Would such battles be fun? too hard for the attacker?

NOw, if the defender player could place their own fortified lines.. well, that would be awsome.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Attacking across fortifications is extremely difficult. standing back and shooting them requires time and extra units to make up for their defensive factor. Charging them is suicide most of the time. I had 3 tercios able to attack a single tercio behind fortifications, mine were the same size and had exactly the same armour and fighting factors , I would win 1% of the time and lose 33%. So I had no choice but to stand back and shoot at a 34% disadvantage.
I admit attack/defend games are less enjoyable than the others, but do give variety, and as long as you attack as often as you defend the should still show the better general (or better luck) in the final results
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TheGrayMouser wrote:I think attacker battles/defender battles could be tweeked by using the custom option to decrease the map width to the minimal allowed , which is 16 hexes. With large armies the fortified hexes will stretch closer to the "edge of the world" and the attacker cannot so handily go around the flanks..

I did a quick test, potluck , large armies , custom reduced map width: the AI as the defender had fortifications across 9 of the 16 grid width ( 3 open on one flank, 4 on the other)
So, the attacker can bash against infantry behind fortifications or they can attack on a narrow three or 4 grid front on one or both flanks.. Seems would be a bit harder, but the would need to be tested. Would such battles be fun? too hard for the attacker?
The current balance between armies in MP attack/defend scenarios is based on the attacking player being able to outflank the fortifications. If this were not possible the force balance would need to favour the attacker more (as it does for battles vs the AI as the AI tends to adopt a more frontal assault).

At present the attacker only has a 10% advantage in point in MP attack/defend scenarios and SP attack scenarios, certainly not enough for a frontal attack. In SP Defend scenarios, the AI attacker has a 30% advantage in points (in addition to any points advantage resulting from the difficulty setting).
Richard Bodley Scott

ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Congratulations to rexhurley on a well-played game as the Defender (Protestant). As I went around both flanks with my Catholic Spanish Army. At the perfect moment he charged out of his fortifications destroyed my 'covering force (to small to stop him; large enough to be tasty!). He then crushed my weaker left before my triumphant right, having occupied his defenses could intervene decisively against his troops.
Catholics (Spanish) 62 percent loss;
Protestants 59% loss!
Ulysisgrunt
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

Ulysisgrunt wrote:Congratulations to rexhurley on a well-played game as the Defender (Protestant). As I went around both flanks with my Catholic Spanish Army. At the perfect moment he charged out of his fortifications destroyed my 'covering force (to small to stop him; large enough to be tasty!). He then crushed my weaker left before my triumphant right, having occupied his defenses could intervene decisively against his troops.
Catholics (Spanish) 62 percent loss;
Protestants 59% loss!
Ulysisgrunt
Cheers mate a slight correction your centre right as your victorious right was actually heavily defeated by my cav :wink: which then promptly proceeded to pursue deep then marched to your left via your deployment area thus avoiding being shot to ribbons 8)
ulysisgrunt

Challenge up for Lascar

Post by ulysisgrunt »

I defend, You attack!
pw : Lascar
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

To Egos, Pantherboy and SnuggleBunnies,
I am away to CANCON in Australia to play Table Top Renaissance Wargames and will be back next week to play PC Wargames.
bloodphoenix
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bloodphoenix »

My apologies for my tardiness in putting up some of my games...
I just posted my flanking battle against Ulysisgrunt and my attack against rbodleyscott.

At present, the only match I'm missing is Snugglebunnies Round 4 attack against my (hopefully) stalwart defenders.

Oh, and the initial battle Rexhurley told Egos and myself to play when we first joined. Haven't heard a peep from him.
BrentBJ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrentBJ »

I think I'm supposed to play Ulysisgrunt for my final game. just waiting for him to challenge me.

regards
Brent
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

My apologies bloodphoenix I had misread the edited first post and had been waiting for you to host. I'll post the challenge this weekend.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Game up for bloodphoenix. Pw: blood

Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

Sheesh, I take a 2 month break and I miss a tournament. Probably for the best, my cutoff is early TYW. Once firepower dominates, 500 man firepower pike and blocks, I am out.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”