Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: ECW Campaign 2017 Common Thread

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
awesum4 wrote:I have set up my battle against Kerry. Hopefully my brave Cornishmen will finally triumph over the rebels.
I think you two down there have your own war going on... I might have to compile a tactical map just for Cornwall with micro-campaign-managing if this continues :D :D :D :
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

Hi GDod, I have some questions concerning the coming battle I have with Grumpy Dodge in Kent. It is a meeting engagement because we are both moving into Kent. Who is the attacker in this case?

Terrain is pot luck even though there is possibility of mountain terrain.

My base army points are 1,250

Grumpy Doge points are 1,050

Not sure about modifications to the base points of Grumpy Doge
regarding possible reinforcements.

Please clarify.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
lascar wrote:Hi GDod, I have some questions concerning the coming battle I have with Grumpy Dodge in Kent. It is a meeting engagement because we are both moving into Kent. Who is the attacker in this case?

Please clarify.
1. If one force is already occupying a county.[which he is] and Ulysisgrunt's reinforcing means reinforced battle.
Rule: If (b) applies {one force is already occupying a county] & a defender friendly force is adjacent to the county being attacked.....Reinforced battle for the defender
[army pts total + extra 180pts reinforcements rounded up in favour of attacker]

2. Terrain is agricultural in Kent/Essex border (only Pot luck up north and west)

3. Base points are correct Lascar points 1,250 Grumpy Doge points 1,050. but Grumpy receives additional 180 points as reinforcements rounded up in his favour.

Interesting this one; The battle is presumed to take place somewhere near the Border between Kent and Essex as Grumpy arrives in Kent first. It is assumed you are attacking Kent since the rules state that a player defends if one force is already occupying a county and because of the reinforcing force it is regarded as an reinforced battle for the defender.

The point raised is since the addition of multiple moves are moves processed one county at a time... and the answer is yes. Similarly, it's worthy to mention that a battle ceases all further movement apart from retreat or advance as a result.
Last edited by GDod on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lascar

Post by lascar »

GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
lascar wrote:Hi GDod, I have some questions concerning the coming battle I have with Grumpy Dodge in Kent. It is a meeting engagement because we are both moving into Kent. Who is the attacker in this case?

Please clarify.
1. If one force is already occupying a county.[which he is] and Ulysisgrunts reinforcing means reinforced battle.
2. Terrain is agricultural in Kent/Essex border (only Pot luck up north and west)
3. Base points are correct Lascar points 1,250 Grumpy Doge points 1,050. but Grumpy receives 180 points as reinforcements

Interesting this one; The battle is presumed to take place somewhere near the Border between Kent and Essex as Grumpy arrives in Kent first. It is assumed you are attacking Kent since the rules state that a player defends if one force is already occupying a county. But because of the reinforcing force it is regarded as an reinforced battle for the defender rather than a defended engagement.
So hypothetically if I had started in 4 and moved to Kent that would be a meeting engagement and in which case how would the attacker and defender be determined? We both would have arrived in Kent at the same time.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

lascar wrote:
GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
lascar wrote: So hypothetically if I had started in 4 and moved to Kent that would be a meeting engagement and in which case how would the attacker and defender be determined? We both would have arrived in Kent at the same time.
Do you mean 14? I presume you do.

Then you arrive in Kent at the same time and are both regarded as attacking. Hence, it is regarded as an open battle.
Rule A applies [ a. Two forces moving into a county, or move into each others occupied county..............Always open battle....]

The importance of processing has been highlighted with the addition of multiple segments within a whole move for one cycle. I was confronted with two options:-
a) ignore the consequences of each segment and focus on the last segment or
b) process each move in a sequential order

The logic to my rulings is based on the last assumption. I hope this helps to explain. It's interesting to note that if Grumpy had not ceased movement in Kent and was continuing to advance to 14 the battle would have been an open battle as both forces would have been advancing so rule a) would have applied.
lascar

Post by lascar »

GDod,

For my army of 1250 pts. the game allows for 1280 points. 30 points over
For Grumpy's total of 1230 the game will assign 1300. 70 points over.

Are these totals in accordance with the rules?

Thanks.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I took the liberty of creating the MP challenge for Ianiow for our battle. The password is Berks. Good luck.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
lascar wrote:GDod,

For my army of 1250 pts. the game allows for 1280 points. 30 points over
For Grumpy's total of 1230 the game will assign 1300. 70 points over.

Are these totals in accordance with the rules?

Thanks.
The increments vary depending on the difficulty level, size of the force entered and the size of the field before it changes itself to custom . So long as the the ratio is close to the determined points for each side then that's as close as can be expected of anyone. You could play around with the customizing if you wanted to try changing the difficulty level, and other variables to not disadvantage yourself so much [awsum is the man to ask about setting battle points] but hey, if you're happy with it... because it seems like it's going to be an exciting game, I say go for it ...
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
w_michael wrote:I took the liberty of creating the MP challenge for Ianiow for our battle. The password is Berks. Good luck.
Great job William! I will give you 1000 extra points for initiative but unfortunately I have to take them away again for unintended profanity!.

ie: I presume you mean the password is short for Berkshire not British cockney slang for [censored]. Known from the 1920s if not earlier, short for Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt, even though in British English the first parts of both are pronounced “bark”? :roll:
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
w_michael wrote:I took the liberty of creating the MP challenge for Ianiow for our battle. The password is Berks. Good luck.
Great job William! I will give you 1000 extra points for initiative but unfortunately I have to take them away again for unintended profanity!.

ie: I presume you mean the password is short for Berkshire not British cockney slang for [censored]. Known from the 1920s if not earlier, short for Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt, even though in British English the first parts of both are pronounced “bark”? :roll:

I'll add that to my list of Things I Didn't Know :D

I read in Wikipedia that Berks was the abbreviation of Berkshire. This doesn't come naturally for colonials like me. 8)

Proper pronunciation is difficult if you have never heard the word spoken before. I remember finding it humorous listening to someone in Scotland (decades ago) talk about relatives in Michigan (pronounced with a ch like ditch). On another trip to the Outer Hebrides we landed in Lochboisdale, which as Canadians we pronounced as the French would, but found that it was an Anglicized Gallic place name which had a different pronunciation.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5136 times
w_michael wrote:
GDod wrote:
The attachment The Naki Bardman.jpg is no longer available
w_michael wrote: I'll add that to my list of Things I Didn't Know :D

I read in Wikipedia that Berks was the abbreviation of Berkshire. This doesn't come naturally for colonials like me. 8)

Proper pronunciation is difficult if you have never heard the word spoken before.
No criticism intended William, just cheeky wordplay. Try coming from the antipodes! I like to think of our English as a refined mixture of poor enunciation [or should that be annunciation? :D] and lazy vowels :D I feel a sonnet coming on :roll:
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Att Damatrois

Challenge posted

Damatrois (Royalist Raiders 1643 - 45) 1250 pts attacking
vrs
Iandavidsmith (Parliament 1643-45) 1000 pts defending

Terrain Agricultural

Hope i set it up right
Ian
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

GDod wrote:No criticism intended William, just cheeky wordplay. Try coming from the antipodes! I like to think of our English as a refined mixture of poor enunciation [or should that be annunciation? :D] and lazy vowels :D I feel a sonnet coming on :roll:
No problem. I didn't take it as criticism. With cultures becoming more homogenized with world trade and the Internet, there are still local differences to enjoy.
lascar

Post by lascar »

ECW challenge posted for Grumpy Doge.

Royalists 1280 pts attacking
Parliamentarian 1300 pts. defending with reinforcements.

Agricultural
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
A Sonnet entitled "May all your rolls be wobbly and jolly"; Dedicated to all the disadvantaged players in this round. Luck be a Lady tonight! [as the song goes, apologies to Frank Loesser and the Bard]

All the battlefield's a stage,
And all the pike and shot merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one force in it's time plays many parts,
It's strength made on the back of fortune gained
And fortune lost; On player scheming
But lady chance also has plans
Astride your shoulder with Madonna smile
Snake eyes thrown your way
Hard fought efforts add to nought

Oh, the tragedy of advantage lost
To unkind chance tossed!
Kelen2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Kelen2 »

lascar wrote:ECW challenge posted for Grumpy Doge.

Agricultural
By my reckoning Lascar you should have 1350pts vs Grumpy's 1230pts. 1000pts + (5 x 50) + 100pt for Div. You should have a 120pt advantage not a 20pt deficit!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5117 times
Kelen2 wrote:
lascar wrote:ECW challenge posted for Grumpy Doge.

Agricultural
By my reckoning Lascar you should have 1350pts vs Grumpy's 1230pts. 1000pts + (5 x 50) + 100pt for Div. You should have a 120pt advantage not a 20pt deficit!
Quite Correct Kelen, we will have to defer to your superior math, I didn't account for lascar's ownership of the Eastern Association, I should have checked back to confirm that "..the player that owns the most counties in a district receives the benefit." I'll pm lascar to reset the battle
lascar

Post by lascar »

I have posted a new challenge for Grumpy that reflects Kelen2's superior math.
TheGrumpyDoge
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheGrumpyDoge »

i ended up with 820 points??
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Can someone please explain to this old knight what forces I have available, my opponent forces , what type of battle, and what type of landscape?
The best I can determine is it will be attack versus defend, defenders( ianow's) choice of terrain, he gets reinforcements, I do not...

I am trying to understand the impudence of a foe outnumbered two to one and has the gall to receive reinforcements for both his battles, whereas one of the invaders must fight on unequal terms. Makes a combined strike seem more a liability than a benefit :) Regardless, we shall do our duty to the king but must protest his bizarre strategims.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”