ECW Campaign 2017 Royalist Line of Communication

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

BrentBJ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: ECW Campaign 2017 Royalist Line of Communication

Post by BrentBJ »

My forces move from 26 to 24, then into 44.
regards
Brent
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
BrentBJ wrote:My forces move from 26 to 24, then into 44.
regards
Brent
Locked in Brent
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

I accept the 1.5 cavalry to 1 infantry that contains pike. It makes flying columns risky, but not suicidal. This is as it should be.

I have worked out the ratio of the various armies,

The old flying column had 1800 cavaliers, 5,440 muskets and 1,820 pike

The new flying columns had 2,800 cavaliers, 3,560 muskets and 755 pike.

The parliamentary standard army had 1,200 cavalry, 6,740 muskets and 3,075 pike, presuming you took as many average units of foot as possible.

Cavaliers are way better than cavalry as long as you charge as soon as you can hit one, they cannot beat pike and shot until they are disrupted. Musketeers get to shoot and then when they fight are the equal of pike (pike and protected shot get bonuses only against mounted units) so a musketeer is way more useful than a pikeman.

All these figures are based on the units being full strength (which is how you buy them), one of my practice Royalist armies had cavalier units of 140 men only. Infantry units tended to be closer to full strength for some reason.

I will work the ratio for the new flying column and post it here
Kelen2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Kelen2 »

Despite the change I will remain with my original intent, standard Royalist force moving by flying column from 31 to 35 then 37.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

I will also stay with my posted move. Cornish Royalist flying column from 21 to 17 to 18.

I worked out the new flying column;

2,400 cavaliers, 4,390 muskets, 1,320 pike. So 2/3 the muskets and less than half the pike of the rebels.

I forgot to list the standard parliamentary army also had 200 artillerymen. TGM did well to beat Danny, defeat was likely for Kelen the only advice I would give for future battles is "if your cavaliers can charge a cavalry do so immediately' you have advantage at impact except against superior determined horse, and if you hang around you will just get shot to pieces.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
awesum4 wrote:I will also stay with my posted move. Cornish Royalist flying column from 21 to 17 to 18.

I worked out the new flying column;

2,400 cavaliers, 4,390 muskets, 1,320 pike. So 2/3 the muskets and less than half the pike of the rebels.

I forgot to list the standard parliamentary army also had 200 artillerymen. TGM did well to beat Danny, defeat was likely for Kelen the only advice I would give for future battles is "if your cavaliers can charge a cavalry do so immediately' you have advantage at impact except against superior determined horse, and if you hang around you will just get shot to pieces.
Thanks for the research Awesum... So a ratio of 1:1.5 is settled as the standard for a flying column then?
As far as the appearance of the London trained bands as a random event...just a note,:- that random events based on historical events are equally possible each turn.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
awesum4 wrote:I will also stay with my posted move. Cornish Royalist flying column from 21 to 17 to 18.
Locked in Awesum
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Lord Quiggly reports he has read the Kings orders and will march our **Royalist 43-44 style flying column from 27 to 9 then to 8**

To ensure my maths are the same as everyone elses, I assume a 1-1.5 cavalry pike ratio for a "flying column" is as such:

if I field 4 pikes I need to field at least 6 cavalry...

but if I field 3 pike then I assume round up ?? ie 5 cavalry?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
No rounded down Mouser If you field 3 pike then you need to field 4.5 cavalry rounded down in favour of the infantry (4 cavalry) locked in
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

The army of East Anglia, in the form a flying column, shall advance from 15 to 13 to 11.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
Locked in lascar Good luck
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

how are you getting on with getting this thread secured so only Royalist players can read it?

I heard a rumour yesterday at the local wargames club that the Rebels have set up a secure facebook page just in case one of us was a base person who would sneak in and read their pathetic scribbles and vile plots of treason. Should we do something similar? I am not signed up to facebook for a number of reasons, but maybe I will have to if we cannot find another secure location. I do use WhatsApp and my family have our own group that you have to be invited to join. Is that a feasible alternative to Facebook?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
I haven't had any luck securing a private thread, apparently it's got to come down from on high :roll: Yes, the rebels use a facebook page and I use my wife's facebook account to access this as question pincushion. My Whatsup savy wife says you can start a group chat if the members are on your contact list so that's an option. Otherwise you must trust in your fellow man :twisted: The beauty of the facebook page is that you don't need to pm me moves. It's a trial by LFDM and it seems to be working for them (However, not all "rebels" are members, so the threads are still the only avenue for some.)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Is anyone in touch with Damatrois to ask for his move?
Keep a lookout.jpg
Keep a lookout.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
lascar

Post by lascar »

I mention it to him the other day and he said he would submit his turn that day. But apparently he hasn't. I will nag
him some more.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
Although I haven't heard officially, it appears Damatrois is a non starter guys so a new face is appearing in the Royalist camp very very soon....
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin, when this new truly loyal general joins our happy band of brothers can you please advise him of His Majesty's request that he move his army by flying column from 44 to 43 to 42, a combined manoeuvre with Brent that will hopefully catch a certain Welsh puritan in a vice of righteous mayhem.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

I must strongly object. For the second move (out of two) random events have strongly favoured the Rebels. First the creation of the London bands which gives Danny an extra 100 points until we defeat the army there) and now Damatrois army not being allowed to move.

The move is not due until the 11th, but you have done it on the 8th. If you had said the Damatrois had pulled out we could have replaced him with another player. I have a guy (relative new comer to the game but keen as mustard) who could have taken over Damatrois army. In fact he can post a move (exactly as per the Kings instructions I have already posted) today.

If you had said that Damatrois army will not be moving Brent would certainly not have moved the way he did. Instead of us capturing the whole of Wales we have lost two thirds of it.

These random events are altering the balance of the campaign in only one direction and making what was meant to be a fun campaign that rewarded the better strategists into one of frustration.

Andre
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
This one wasn't a random event Awsum... It's temporary freeze until I'm sure Damatrois has pulled out, he has to the 11th to submit his move ... but if he doesn't the intention of the rules state that failure to lodge a move means the force remains stationary. I have offered the position to Mike but we must wait until the 11th or until I've been advised (I have jumped the gun a little by publishing the map because I think it's fair to assume that the guys want their battles to be underway and I have invited mike to join next month because I haven't heard from Damatrois one way or the other... If you can persuade Damatrois to get his move in within the next couple of days whether he wishes to pull out or not, all will be well for the movement phase.

But I am open to persuasion ....however, if a player wishes to discontinue the campaign then please please ....lodge that month's move and advise me, or advise me as soon as you can so I can arrange a new player the same month.
pulling-out-hair.jpg
pulling-out-hair.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin, I am happy to accept that if Damatrois doesn't submit his move by the 11th the current situation stands. If he does now submit his move it could become problematic as he may have seen your latest map and moved in response to that. So we will have to wait and see what he does.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”