Turns, days, weeks...

A place to discuss Desert Fox from Shenandoah Studio.
thedudeabidez
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Turns, days, weeks...

Post by thedudeabidez »

I'm a heavy player of the Bulge and DoM and generally have no problems witeh the rules to these games, but i just can't get my head 'round how the calendar works in this game. Can anyone explain th concept a bit more clearly? I get that you spend a week either fighting or refitting, but if you fight, how many turns are there potentially? The rules say 14 but that's two weeks not one....
thedudeabidez

Re: Turns, days, weeks...

Post by thedudeabidez »

Rule 4.1 says you play up to seven turns in a cycle, while 13.3 says an offensive last up to 14 turns... Which is it?
Ryvin
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ryvin »

Game is divided in cycle. Each cycle represents two weeks so there are 11 cycles in total.

During day 1 of each cycle except first one (weeks 1-2) both sides (CW first) choose either a refit or an offensive than if both sides choose the former, game proceeds to last day of the cycle, otherwise a combat session starts and last until one of the two side keeps the inititative then a new cycle begins.
Peter_TSS
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Peter_TSS »

Ryvin is correct. The cycle lasts until neither side takes action to maintain initiative, or 14 days, whichever comes first.

4.1 says both two-week and seven days. Seven days is an error.
thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez »

So there are up to 14 days in one cycle, ok. But how many days are in one turn?

Also, it seems since the Axis burns supply quickly, the initiative is often with the CW. As long as they keep attacking in their first move, they can keep the Axis out of supply and never go to refit...
sa_gibson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by sa_gibson »

thedudeabidez wrote:So there are up to 14 days in one cycle, ok. But how many days are in one turn?

Also, it seems since the Axis burns supply quickly, the initiative is often with the CW. As long as they keep attacking in their first move, they can keep the Axis out of supply and never go to refit...
Each turn is 1day. The cycles are 14 days but will often end early, due to exhaustion. The CW can indeed seize the initiative and prevent refits, and I have found this to be sometimes effective if the Axis player has overextended & can be cut off. I've played several games like that & the CW seem to usually win with those preconditions. On the other hand, the CW by doing so forgoes lots of unit upgrades, and it can backfire in a big way.
thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez »

Ok, got it. Thanks for the advice, guys,

Return to “Desert Fox: The Battle of El Alamein”