Axis Hedgehog Strategy

A place to discuss Desert Fox from Shenandoah Studio.
s_snoopy1710
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Axis Hedgehog Strategy

Post by s_snoopy1710 »

Just finished my first full campaign as Axis against Monthy with 135 VP, a loss of only 1 Flak unit, with more than 100 VPs picked up by destroying CW units.

My strategy was to find out whether the VPs from El Daba from W15-W22 would be enough to win. To facilitate I occupied a defensive line from Tel El Deisa to Deir El Mireir, plus covering the south (El Quseir and El Kharita) with italian units. No combat whatsoever during the first cycle.

After that Monthy and I agreed on I think 2 refit cycles, which allowed me to bulk up my units, horde supply points, and lay enough mines to have an almost impregnable position. After that it was waiting for unwise attacks from the AI, and counterattacking. Very few spaces changed hands. Only in the end I gave some ground but could retrieve all (!) units before they got seriously attacked.

My conclusion:

- there is not enough incentive for the Axis to attack early on (the CW is on shape anyway). Maybe add CW VPs to El Alamein for the weeks 1-10? (after all there is a reason this game carries this name in its title :mrgreen: )
- the AI can't cope with a defensive player. Even if it has to waste 3 divisions on a first attack, it needs to dislodge the Axis once the CW side has superiority

There were some minor bugs (e.g. Mines not disappearing), but I already send those in. Otherwise a very good game!

Snoopy
Heraclius123

Re: Axis Hedgehog Strategy

Post by Heraclius123 »

Yeah I scored over 100 VPs playing against the Fox. The thing is this strategy is all well and good against AI, but in online battles it's a rare chance you'll receive for your enemy to let you or them give you the impulse hoping you won't steal initiative so he can ressuply and outfit or carry on the push. I was just playing a match where as CW I've lost Sooo many battles that the graph said I should have won, done major damage etc, and instead the reverse happened to me, almost like the combat estimator had a flaw by switching it around. Back on topic, he pushed deep into my lines, got one thru, then let me steal the initiative hoping that I wouldn't steal the initiative by wanting to refit etc so he could send 5 more units in the next week through my lines. :lol:
kaintzs
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by kaintzs »

This has been my experience exactly against a recent human player. I made a mistake in trying to ambush an Axis armour unit that was out of supply and alone early, he countered and destroyed all three attacking units on the next turn. Following that, which happened on the first or second turn, he never attacked again. He simply sat on positions West of El Alamein, mined them extensively, and retreated off the map in October with a massive victory. I had to refit to have any hope of attacking, by the time I could attack I was forced into attacking nearly impregnable positions, losing many units, and really never making a dent in his lines in any kind.

It was not only not fun, but if the Axis don't have to attack what's the point of the game? With a few kills and the El Daba points the Axis player can turtle up and do nothing winning easily. Really an awful experience and I can't imagine fun for either side. My assumption is that the VPs should be set up that the Axis, like Rommel, need to drive on Egypt to win, why give such a reward for performing in a way that Hitler would have never allowed?

Overall, I love the series and like the game, but this just seems well off at this point.
Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

Had a similar experience (as Axis) in the only campaign game I played online to completion. If CW allows a couple of refits, it becomes incredibly difficult for them to win, because Axis can simply mine up and gain the per day victory points.
DaShox
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by DaShox »

Yeah I found out the hard CW REFIT = IMPREGNABLE AXIS.
Buzzard

Post by Buzzard »

I agree with these comments. First human campaign game as CW the Axis attacked me aggressively and I won the campaign. Then another Axis player just held fast. I refit a few times to get combined arms etc and then I just couldn't break through except with massive losses. I am just trying the tactic myself to see if the human CW player I am against can beat me. But I feel bored passing turn after turn. The rhythm is very different to Moscow.
s_Radagy

Post by s_Radagy »

I absolutely subscribe Buzzard''s previous post.
May be something went wrong during playtesting?
Al the nice refit rules are useless. Refitting, as CW, means losing the game.
grimmelm

Post by grimmelm »

Agreed completely. If the Axis entrenches immediately, there is never a viable time for the Commonwealth to attack. Early on, the Axis has superior forces and can counterattack aggressively to destroy units. Later on, the Axis can rest comfortably behind a wall of mines. The cut and thrust of Axis attacks is tense and fun from both sides, but the scoring doesn't give the Axis much of an incentive to attack. Maybe in the earlier weeks the Axis should have to choose between mines and reinforcements, or there should be a cap on the number of total minefields, or something -- anything -- to make the hedgehog strategy attractive only somewhat later in the game.

Return to “Desert Fox: The Battle of El Alamein”