Great Game but Improvements needed.

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
padster
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Great Game but Improvements needed.

Post by padster »

Really love The Tide turns but have one or two issues.

The victory screen is a little lazy and leaves the players a bit flat after a great battle.
It needs A casualties page to browse the breakdown of losses. Likewise for Victory point gains.
The ability to browse the map after the battle.
A Game record so you can see how many points you scored, on what date ( And perhaps how you did it - See post game dissatisfaction point above and then record for posterity)

On a couple of occasions the Union has been ahead on casualty points but the Confederates have achieved their areas. It should record a draw but instead recorded a Confederate victory.

No chat facility in game? Or have I missed something? A hotkey list?

All minor stuff but they do tarnish a fantastic game a little.

Oh and for all those complaining they cant hold the confederates on the first scenario? Defend further forward, block routes of advance with cavalry and then give ground when attacked.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Great Game but Improvements needed.

Post by zakblood »

not really a technical question for support i'm sorry to say, more of an impression, will be seen by the developer also so no need to move, thanks for your impressions and feedback, good or bad, it's all feedback all the same
LoyalSoldier
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by LoyalSoldier »

I don't have the game but have seen it on YouTube and Twitch.

I agree that there could be more info on the battle with regards to casualties and VPs, where this is possible.

I recon it would be difficult to state casualty figures. When a brigade, or indeed, adivision/corp is destroyed, it is not clear if troops are killed, wounded, captured or routed. The fact that brigades can be reformed, suggests that many troops have just fled and then later rallied.

I assume that the developers would have to write some sort of algorithm to calculate casualties based on actions taken. This is not impossible, but I assume would take some thought and work to implement.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Frankly, people need to accept what this game is, not what they wish it to be. It doesn't purport to track casualties down to the man. Any attempt to do so given its system would be artificial.
padster

Post by padster »

Guys,
You seem to be getting carried away with the casualties part of my comments and missing the core observation.
The victory screen sucks! The inability to look at the map afterward the game likewise. No in game chat facility with your opponent etc
How hard would it be to have a previous games tab so you can look at your result history.
I took pains to point out I really like this game, and I do!
But I'd also quite like to be able to say "Good Luck or Well played or nice move" etc

I know the developers get to read these comments so - Well done guys. Great game now keep up the good work and address a few of the above issues in the next patch.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Yea, reading everything you guys post. Many thanks for all your feedback.
I'm compiling all the ideas, but i've prioritised bugs first. So the first few patches will be bug fixes mostly. After I patch the game, then I'll move on to feature requests.
kevinkins
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kevinkins »

Four things I would like to see after playing all night for the first time (apart from fixing the killer advance bug):
- Fog of War
- Some form of command, control and leadership system
- Flanking fire effects (apart from being surrounded)
- Ability to rotate the map to north south east and west views
I separately posted on an editor. The first two do not have to be complicated - just a basic system.

These are all pretty standard stuff for a circa 2017 war game. I hope the underlying code was developed with the thought of adding these types of features. Once everything is worked out, converting over to Napoleonic warfare would fairly straight forward.

Kevin
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

kevinkins wrote:Four things I would like to see after playing all night for the first time (apart from fixing the killer advance bug):
- Fog of War
- Some form of command, control and leadership system
- Flanking fire effects (apart from being surrounded)
- Ability to rotate the map to north south east and west views
I'm ready to give the new 1.04 patch a go. Some comments on the above:
- FOW. The chit pull system provides a pretty good FOW of a sort; you don't get to do what you'd like to do. I think hiding unit names and strengths (and maybe types) for enemy units out of LOS would be fine.
- C2. Not sure how adding leaders to units would be helpful for this relatively simple game. If anything, maybe impose a slight combat penalty for units separated from their corps; ie, more than say 2-4 hexes away from another unit in the same corps? This provides players an incentive to keep corps together.
- Flanking. The estimated losses already change as you move additional units into/out of combat? Not sure what else would be helpful.

It will be interesting to see what enhancements will be made before attention shifts to another game. I'd really like to see some other Civil War battles using this system.
kevinkins
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kevinkins »

By flanking, I was suggesting a positive fire modifier for the attacker firing into the rear or flank of a enemy facing the other way. Fire coming from the "rear" three hexes for example. This a common practice in board games. I think you are on the right track re: FOV and C2. Nothing needs to be over the top complex.

Kevin

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”