Please fix the regular Gettysburg forum

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Please fix the regular Gettysburg forum

Post by FroBodine »

When I click on it, it says "unauthorized". Apparently it is still locked from the beta.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Please fix the regular Gettysburg forum

Post by zakblood »

will get admin to look at it asap, sorry about this :oops:
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you're having problems. Which forum do you mean - can you send a url?
uxbridge
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by uxbridge »

I think he means that if you go to the Slitherine Forums and try to get into Gettysburg, it says you're not authorized. On the other hand, if you go to Matrix forums first, click on Gettysburg there, you will be re-directed to Slitherine and can, oddly enough, enter the Gettysburg Forum.

The reason why you guys don't see the problem, is probably becuse you're authorized for this closed Forum and therefore it looks all right.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

uxbridge wrote:I think he means that if you go to the Slitherine Forums and try to get into Gettysburg, it says you're not authorized. On the other hand, if you go to Matrix forums first, click on Gettysburg there, you will be re-directed to Slitherine and can, oddly enough, enter the Gettysburg Forum.

The reason why you guys don't see the problem, is probably becuse you're authorized for this closed Forum and therefore it looks all right.
I have that problem with every Slitherine forum I tried to enter (2 during last year), only possible from Matrix webforum so after I succeed I never close down the browser folder.
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

I am able to access the forum fine if I am logged out. However, if I log in then I cannot access the forum to post. If I log out, return and select Post A Reply, I am prompted to log in and then I am able to post a reply. Like I just did here. Odd. Something needs to be fixed.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

Explaining more for Slitherine people....

I am in this forum and have login and is able to post this.
After that I go to http://www.slitherine.com/forum/index.php
And I try to click on the Gettysburg forum ==> YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ENTER FORUM!
This is basically the status of most of your forums and it stop a lot of people to even enter them and check out games.
It is only possible to enter and look at this forum by clicking on the link on the Matrix Games webpage.
Comment: I cannot believe you haven't fixed this as I PM about it over a year ago, although that Slitherine person told me he didn't care and that I should contact a dedicated support person. I didn't care to do that!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks guys - I don't really understand so will have to pass on to someone who does!

Forum permissions are minefield and it can be very to spot whats wrong, as here we have people posting, and that's the first time I've ever seen that happen on a broken forum.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

The only Gettysburg forum that I can get in (this one where these message are being posted) is the Announcements & General Discussion > Shenandoah General Discussion Forum > Gettysburg: The Tide Turns.

If I click on the Latest Releases > Gettysburg: The Tide Turns forum, it says I am unauthorized to enter it.
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

What need fixing is the forums link on the opening game menu screen so instead of taking us to the beta forum it should take us to this forum.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

As Iain said, this is odd, as there's nothing obvious that should stop this working.

The game menu, and the front page both point to http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=436, which is a redirection link that automatically forwards you to here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=349

I'll ask the experts, but my guess is that some accounts are being blocked from following redirection links?

Thanks
RussW
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by RussW »

The redirect link from Matrix is the only way I can get into this forum...Trying from the Slitherene site says I'm not authorized,,,AS it is now I log in to Matrix and get redirected here,,,But as previously stated if I'm not logged in the Slitherene I can access the forum directly but have to log in to post
Semper Fi
Barthheart
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Barthheart »

RussW wrote:The redirect link from Matrix is the only way I can get into this forum...Trying from the Slitherene site says I'm not authorized,,,AS it is now I log in to Matrix and get redirected here,,,But as previously stated if I'm not logged in the Slitherene I can access the forum directly but have to log in to post
This is my exact situation as well.
Capitaine
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Capitaine »

Mine too.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

I think I gave a lengthy and complete description of the problem with many not being able to enter the Shenandoah Studio forums here on the Slitherine site... but the only possibility is by accidental discovery that the link from matrix games forum allow us to enter and use this forum. Shenandoah Studio could lose forum visitors and thus potential buyers.

Seems the Slitherine folks don't grasp how this can be... Maybe make a regular account (instead of a Slitherine super account) and discover how some forums isn't accessible. ;)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We've never seen it before so have the web team digging to work it out. I dont even know how its possible...
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I am told this is fixed but as it doesn't happen for me can you have a look!
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

It does indeed work now for me Iain. Thanks for fixing.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

+1
RussW

Post by RussW »

Yep working fine now Thank You