Initial thoughts/issues

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Initial thoughts/issues

Post by Twinkle »

The press G hardly ever works.

I very much doubt majority of beta testers did any testing except to check if they wanted to buy/play the game or not...
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

G shows the los for the hex that's currently being hovered over.
Also, this must be a valid move hex for the unit. I think you're hovering over hexes that are outside the range of movement.
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

It seems more like this: If it is a move phase and there is an artillery unit eligible to move, select that unit, then press G and this gives line of sight for the unit. I have experimented a few times, and it's worked every time this way. Just hovering doesn't do it, and it works only for artillery.
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

Chodan wrote:It seems more like this: If it is a move phase and there is an artillery unit eligible to move, select that unit, then press G and this gives line of sight for the unit. I have experimented a few times, and it's worked every time this way. Just hovering doesn't do it, and it works only for artillery.
A bit more about hovering: Once all of the above steps are taken, namely selecting an artillery unit during its movement phase, the cursor does have to hover over it when pressing G to get the LOS.

And here is where it's really useful: While the artillery is selected if you hover over any hex it can move to, you get the LOS from that hex.
Last edited by TangSooDo on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

It is strange that I can see what units belong to an organisation before they move but not after. Consider highlight units in same organisation or keep the darker hexshade after they move.
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

Twinkle wrote:It is strange that I can see what units belong to an organisation before they move but not after. Consider highlight units in same organisation or keep the darker hexshade after they move.
+1 It would be helpful to highlight all corps units whenever one of its units is selected, before or after they move.
uxbridge
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by uxbridge »

I'd much rather see some permanent visual aid to differ units. Like colouring:
Attachments
Units.jpg
Units.jpg (189.71 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

Two comments playing v1.03. There is still a screen centering issue when selecting a unit on the map; sometimes the map shifts toward the corps entry point rather than on the selected unit. Recommend centering on a selected unit if on the map, and on the entry point for a selected reinforcement. The other thing I noticed was a chit pull for a corps (e.g., US Cavalry) that had no brigades on the map anymore. I can understand the current turn if the last unit(s) was lost prior to the chit pull, but not for subsequent turns when there are no units on the map at start.
bott.2
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by bott.2 »

Love this game! Hopefully Antietam is next. I think this game could be considered a new and improved computer version of Across Five Aprils (Victory Games)?

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”