Map Graphics

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
rddfxx
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Map Graphics

Post by rddfxx »

After looking at the three examples on the Kickstarter page, I'd opt for the naturalistic style. The hand drawn map is visually a confusing mess, looking more like dazzle camo than a functional game map. The Etch style is OK, but shares with the hand drawn map the distracting green splotches representing wooded areas. The green really presents me with a gestalt problem, as we seem to have islands of tan/brown randomly strewn about a "Mediterranean Sea" of green. Looks like a fantasy pirate game or some such. Which brings us to the naturalistic map. Here we have gradations of green, which read much better, and surface texture that also imparts more game related info than the mix of brown contours, green tree dots and funky fonts of the hand drawn map.
Yojimbo252
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Map Graphics

Post by Yojimbo252 »

I'm inclined to agree. I don't particularly like the Etch Style. The green wooded areas do look more like islands encompassed by a sea rather than land.

The Hand Drawn Style is quite good in that it captures the flavour of the period, however I'm not sure if I'd want to be staring at that for any length of time especially when trying to discern units that are overlayed on it. It might be best utilised in an overview / objectives map capacity.

I much prefer the Naturalistic Style as it's clean and crisp and as alluded to in the update, provides a greater sense of realism. And the whole concept of being able to view the battle as if you were situated in a hot air balloon really appeals.
Dogrel
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Dogrel »

I agree, more appropriate to the era and aesthetics of the game theme. :D
HLWIII
grimmelm
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by grimmelm »

I prefer the hand-drawn style. It strikes the right balance between beautiful and legible.
bondycraig

Post by bondycraig »

If we are taking votes (and I know we are not, I just want to express my opinion) I am a fan of the naturalistic style for the map graphics. While I do like the etch and the hand drawn both, I prefer the naturalistic style, probably just because I like the realistic feel of the view.
himmelstoss
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by himmelstoss »

I am sure some will hate me for this question, but, is there a slight chance to give the infantry counters a more human shape/outline? I think it would draw more folks to get the game. For me it just seems more enjoyable to lead my "lil men" into battle. I think it is a natural identification thing.

Loooove your games so far, sheer amazing!

thx,

Himmelstoss
Bookwizard
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Bookwizard »

I was watching the Civil War Trust animated battle maps on their website yesterday and was thinking that a game that used topographical maps and the blue and red blocks would be something to consider developing. Then, today I looked at your website and found what you have been working on with "Gettysburg: The Tide Turns" and that you are already working on something very similar. This design is looking very good. Amazing.

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”