Gettysburg: The Tide Turns - Status of the iOS version

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Gettysburg: The Tide Turns - Status of the iOS version

Post by AlbertoC »

After the recent announcement that Gettysburg: the Tide Turns is coming soon to PC, we received a number of queries on the current status of the iOS version. The game had been started on Kickstarter by Shenandoah LLC before the company went in to chapter 11.

Slitherine picked the assets of Shenandoah and is planning to complete Gettysburg: the Tide Turns for iOS. As a gesture of goodwill Slitherine will attempt to fulfil the orders placed with Shenandoah LLC to the best of our ability. We have the list of everyone who supported the iOS version and it’s very important to us that we deliver you the iOS version.

The iOS version will come. We’re currently focusing on the PC version as it’s easier to beta test and faster to iterate new versions, but we haven’t forgotten about the iOS version and will deliver it soon after the PC version.

The team are currently working hard on the game, and it’s currently being beta tested. You can apply to be part of the beta here!
kgarnjost
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Gettysburg: The Tide Turns - Status of the iOS version

Post by kgarnjost »

So, you have taken a game that was originally designed to be an iOS game and was substantially programmed as such in September 2014 when Slitherine acquired Shenandoah and a full two years later you are just getting around to producing a Windows version of it. This, despite various sources saying it is "coming soon" for over a year. In the two year interim, you have come out with updates to the other three Shenandoah games and a Mac/PC version of Battle of the Bulge. Yet, for Gettysburg there is no Mac version "coming soon" and the iOS version is a figment in a programmers mind.

I realize that the Shenandoah games are not Slitherine's primary products, but they are very good products for which I feel I have gotten my monies worth. However, I am an iOS and Mac gamer and Slitherine has completely neglected me in its development of Gettysburg. Not what I expected when you bought the company.

Kurt
Kolbex
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kolbex »

AlbertoC, I backed the Kickstarter (at the $25 level), which never mentioned a PC version. However, as it's looking like this will release on PC over three years after its original projected delivery date, I am basically done with iOS gaming, have no plans to upgrade my iOS hardware and have absolutely no desire to receive the game on iOS. Will you be honoring Kickstarter pledges with a copy of the PC game if desired?
SakariLindhen
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by SakariLindhen »

Kolbex, I am in the same position. my Ipad wont run ios8 or later, I signed up for an iOS version 6 game....
Natus

Post by Natus »

Is there any word yet on whether Gettysburg will even be playable on iOS after fall 2017? All other Shenandoah games are being consigned to the ash-heap.
DaShox

Post by DaShox »

Natus wrote:Is there any word yet on whether Gettysburg will even be playable on iOS after fall 2017? All other Shenandoah games are being consigned to the ash-heap.
Gettysburg is not releasing the game on IOS. If they did release it on IOS, there would not likely be an issue. The games that are being consigned to the ash-heap are games that were coded in 32 bit and it not worth it to them to update to 64 bit. Apple has been saying (probably at IOS 11) that they will discontinue all 32 bit apps.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Unfortunately the PC version has taken 3.5 years rather than 3 months that was expected based on what thought we had acquired from Shenandoah. As a result the project has lost a fortune and we're trying to make the best of it. At this point we don't even know if we can produce an iOS version. We'd still like to but the way the code is structured (its multi threaded partly in Unity and partly in C# for unknown reasons) it makes it extremely difficult to do anything with, hence the time its taken to get to where we are. All the advantages of using Unity are lost because of the structure but you still have all the baggage of working in Unity, and every change and bug fix becomes horribly complex to work between the threads. With hindsight the first thing we should have done is ripped out the multi threading and done everything in Unity but it would have been a year of coding back at the start and we didn't realise how much was left to do. By the time we did, we felt we'd gone too far to add another year. In fact we'd probably never have started if we though the project had a year left in it, let alone 3.5 years. The iOS issue is only something we’ve recently become aware of but the general architecture of the code has been an issue since day 1. I know many of you invested a lot of money in the kickstarter and are very angry about how its turned out. All I can say is we've invested hundreds of thousands and want more than anyone for it succeed and we’re doing what we can to make sure the game does actually get released on as many platforms as possible.
Keithustus

Post by Keithustus »

(cough) any update? Haven't been a PC gamer in about a decade so my Steam copies of Shenandoah games don't make my iPad feel better.
kgarnjost

Post by kgarnjost »

It now being three years later, I take it that the promise that the iOS version will happen eventually is no longer valid? I am on Macs and iOS devices. I have purchased and played Gettysburg: As The Tide Turns in my Windows emulation, but not having it on my primary platforms means I don't play it as much as I would like. Shenandoah makes great software, but you are not delivering it on platforms I can use.
PierreSpartan

Post by PierreSpartan »

I am also waiting for this iPad iOS version. Any new, please?
PierreSpartan

Post by PierreSpartan »

Any answer would be appreciated ;-)

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”