The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!

Discuss John Butterfield’s Battle of the Bulge: Crisis in Command Vol. 1
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!

Post by AlbertoC »

The first round starts today!

The 14 participants are already facing each other on the battlefield. They know there will only be one winner, but who will it be?

You can follow the tournament by clicking on this link. Each player will have exactly 4 days of time to submit the entirety of their turns for the match. Each round will last exactly 10 days, after which the next round will begin, so this means next round will start on April 13!

Good luck, and may the best commander win.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begu

Post by Huragan »

Hi AlbertoC

I joined the BotB SCT blindly and care free without knowing or reading the tournament rules. I have since found a post by Daniele from Jan 2016 about the previous tournament that has shed some light; however, I still have some questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that the in-game score points have no bearing on the tournament points? We are just looking to win as quickly as possible and in as few turns as possible and racking up in-game points is irrelevant to the tournament ranking.

2) The "bye" that Daniel refers to in his post is talking about a forfeit when one of the players does not execute any turns or some other situation?

3) What is this tournament's prize... other than knowing that you have defeated several worthy opponents in a challenging game that you can tell your great grand-children about? Will there be a ballad written in your honor and incorporated into the national anthem of a country of your choice. I vote for a bronze life sized statue and a Pacific island to be named after the winner.... but that's just me. :D

I include a copy of Daniele's post below:
Battle of the Bulge Tournament!

Daniele » 22 Jan 2016 15:26

Are you ready to embark in a tough challenge?

We are setting up a great Battle of the Bulge Tournament and we are inviting you all to take part in this event!

Rules

The tournament will be 3 rounds of Paired Games on the Battle of the Bulge scenario.

Matchmaking is via a Swiss Chess system with players getting 20 points for each game that they win.

Each round lasts for 10 days and each player has 4 days of turn time within the round (their remaining time is displayed in-game).

If a players timer expires then the opponent wins the game.

If, for whatever reason, a player is awarded a bye then they get 15 points for each game skipped in this manner.

The overall winner is the player with the highest number of points at the end of all 3 rounds (Max 120). If there is a tie then the prize will be split amongst the joint winners.

The prize is $50.00 of discount on any purchase!

To apply you have only to click here or directly in the Tournament section
Hurry up! The tournament will start once we reached 16 participants!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi!

Some updates to Dani's post:

1. We're changing the BYE points to 14 points per game rather than 15 based on the typical scores from the previous tournament. A BYE is when there is an odd number of competitors in a round and so one player ends up with no game to play

2. The Tournament Points you get are based upon how quickly you win the game. So, an automatic victory (e.g. a Meuse crossing before the 19th) will score the maximum of 20 points. The Allies also get this if they manage to win inside this time.

For every day after that, the tournament score goes down by 1 for the victor. So, 19-1 on the next day, down to 11-9 for a victory on the last day. (as it's impossible to draw games in Bulge, there's no 10-10 from normal play)

3. If a player's Turn Clock runs out (shown in the top-right when you're playing a tournament game) then the Tournament Score is adjusted proportionally based on the status of the game at that point. I don't have the exact formula to hand, but generally, if both players have played lots of turns but just not been able to finish, then there will be a small movement of points to the player that did not time out. If there were very few turns played (thus more demonstrative of one player not really engaging with the game) then a larger proportion of the points will be moved to the player that did not time out.

4. If a player does not engage with the tournament at all, they are dropped and not included in the draw for subsequent rounds

5. Prizes are Alberto's purview ;-)

Thanks!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Round 1 Draw:

majandro vs Panzerpat

AgrippaMaxentius vs Rangers717

victory vs Gutalin

Capote vs Huragan

COLHoneyBadger vs pantherboy

Rodrc2016 vs daggerfunf

HJB vs scott1957

Bruiser_ouch vs Gerifonte

Jay2517 Round 1 BYE
majandro
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by majandro »

Hi,

My first round games are versus Panzerpat as Allies and versus duncanrice as Axis.

Is that correct? Shouldn't be vs Panzerpat both of them?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

HI,

Just checking this out... this looks very very wrong!!!

edit: wow, something has gone very odd here, there's two paired challenges where 3 people are in the game! There should never be more than 2.

http://imgur.com/a/MtZd4

Trying to find a way to fix this.... it might have to be drastic...
majandro
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by majandro »

Hi,

It seems that I'am out of the tournament?

Any reason?

Of course it is very difficult to pair games between 19 players, but I was not the last one to sign in.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi Majandro,

We had an odd number of players, so someone has to get a BYE in the first round. By random draw, that was you I'm afraid!

In any round with an odd number of players there will be someone why has to take the BYE and the 28 points awarded for that.

You'll be guaranteed games in the next rounds though!

Thanks,
majandro
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by majandro »

Thanks for the clarification.

I will wait for the next round.

Return to “Battle of the Bulge”