Modifying scenario staticstics

A secret place for modders to chat and ask questions. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

ibafoo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Modifying scenario staticstics

Post by ibafoo »

The older versions of this game were relatively easy to modify the starting values for scenarios.

With the latest versions I have not been able to figure out how to do this.

How could I change the amount of production points available to a country at the start of a scenario?

Thanks in advance.....
ibafoo

Re: Modifying scenario staticstics

Post by ibafoo »

And while I am posting here.

I loaded up the 1939 scenario as the Allies just to see what they had available.

My units began at half strength! When I load the same scenario as the Axis all the Allied units begin at full strength.

But wait there is more.

I was able to not lose France to Germany. By concentrating everything I had in France I was able to hold out and not be conquered. Sometime in the Winter of 1940 I got the message that the Axis gets when France surrenders. I had to option to accept my own surrender which I refused to do.

So all my French units continued to fight on as Free French but I no longer had any production from France. Additionally I had to retake Paris even though it was behind my lines.

Who decided that French would surrender at a certain time and why do they have the option to create a Vichy Government as if they were the Axis? Bizarre!
MilesNoctis

Post by MilesNoctis »

If you play as the Allies vs the Axis AI, your units spawn at reduced strength to ease the stress on the AI, since it is nowhere near as competent as a human opponent. The CEAW AI is no longer in development, and is ill-suited for the added depth that GS adds to the vanilla game. You can reduce this penalty by editing the corresponding values in data/general.txt - I don't recall their exact names but they are near the bottom of the file.

As for you getting a message that France surrenders, it's because in GS, France surrenders automatically if Paris is vacated after May 1940. You get the Vichy dialog since you are the only player in the game - the AI can't decide whether it wants to accept Vichy.
ibafoo

Post by ibafoo »

Thanks much, that is largely what I thought.
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

ibafoo wrote:The older versions of this game were relatively easy to modify the starting values for scenarios.

With the latest versions I have not been able to figure out how to do this.

How could I change the amount of production points available to a country at the start of a scenario?

Thanks in advance.....
Here are two great links for modding CEAW or CEAW GS:
Basic guide to modding GS2.0
Modders Map/Scenario Editor Guide

Specifically for this Q: "How could I change the amount of production points available to a country at the start of a scenario? "
Use the country code in this post combined with the info in this post that describes at start PP's:
0 20 875 150 0 1058 11 100 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 3 0 true false 100 true true 2090 11 30
This is the number of PPs the country will start with
FirstCanadian

Post by FirstCanadian »

I have tried to edit the scenario file for GS3.10, but i can't see the numbers listed in the guide: I only get gibberish.

I have tried with Notepad, Notepad++ and HxD.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

FirstCanadian wrote:I have tried to edit the scenario file for GS3.10, but i can't see the numbers listed in the guide: I only get gibberish.

I have tried with Notepad, Notepad++ and HxD.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
I use UltraEdit for this, its free for 30 days before it disables itself.

I only get gibberish.: If you mean symbols then something is wrong, if you mean a huge amount of numbers and text, then you're on the right track.

I have tried with Notepad, Notepad++ and HxD. : Notepad really should work, just tough to use for big edits. HxD is a hex editor so that would likely not work - the CEAW files we edit are all text files with *.txt or *.scn (etc.) file extensions. If you have a fancier editor like Notepad+ just make sure HEX mode is toggled off:-).

Note this kind of editing is not user friendly at all, and the smallest syntax error will result in the game not loading, so make sure to first back up any files you edit.
FirstCanadian

Re: Modifying scenario statistics

Post by FirstCanadian »

Thanks for the tip.

Notepad and Notepad++ yielded odd symbols plus recognizable words at the bottom of the file where the guide says the country data should be:

HxD yielded columns of hexadecimal, but nothing resembling the numbers in the guide.

I will try Ultraedit and confirm.
FirstCanadian

Post by FirstCanadian »

The problem was that there are two files with the same name in the "Scenario" folder: One (the wrong one) with ".data" ending, the other (the good one) with".scn" ending. Perhaps add that clarification to the guidelines!

Many thanks,

FirstCanadian
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

The *.data files are compiled versions of the scn files.

You edit the map and scenario files in the data/scenario folder. ww2.map for the map and 1939.scn ... 1944.scn for the scenarios. However, manually editing these files can be a bear and one little mistake means the game won't even load.

Starting unit strength is determined by changing class files and not within the scn files. That means Java coding.
FirstCanadian

Post by FirstCanadian »

Thanks for the clarification!

I was not too ambitious, I just wanted to give the AI some advantage, eg 1000 pp or a strong manpower pool.

This was easy to do with the guides on this site!

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Modders Corner”