Map Editor v1.04

A secret place for modders to chat and ask questions. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Map Editor v1.04

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

Download the Editor from http://www.slitherine.com/files/ceaw/ed ... _v1.04.exe

This is the latest map editor compatible witht eh game v1.06. This is the map editor we used to create all the scenarios in the game. Well, actually it is an improved version of what we had, but you get the point! This does not mean it is easy to use. To be honest it's really awkward and it is very easy to make mistakes that will break the game. So that brings us to the health warnings:

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR GAME FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT ANYTHING!

Also, please read the documentation carefully as you have to exactly what is described or things will go wrong.

Please have fun with this and post any queries to the modding forum. We'll do our best to help, but cannot guarantee to fix all problems. We hope this will allow you to modify scenarios

Thanks

Slitherine & Firepower
Ralley
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Ralley »

I have many problems with the editor and game version 1.06.

I make new *.scn files and copy the new files into the game directory .../data/scenarios.

But the game don`t start start with new editor-files into the game scenario-direktory. Where is the problem .... i don`t know?
firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan »

That is diffuclty to say, since the editor is not error proof one need to know what you have changed in the scenario to know why it crashes. Have you edited just the scn or have you also saved the .map?
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Ralley

Post by Ralley »

There are not much changed. I have give the 1939.scn (version 1.06 copy first from ...data/scenarios to editor/data) IP-Points to russians for a better game balance ....

Dog fight 1
Tank AT 2
Intantry defence 2
Organization 1

Save as 1939NEW.scn and copy to .... /data/scenarios

1939NEW.data is left. The Game don`t start and don`t build the 1939NEW.data. Game-crashes and go back to desktop ....
nigel_ht
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by nigel_ht »

firepowerjohan wrote:That is diffuclty to say, since the editor is not error proof one need to know what you have changed in the scenario to know why it crashes. Have you edited just the scn or have you also saved the .map?
I have the same issue. If you simply load a scenario and save it, the game fails. Doing a diff on the two files shows significant changes but it's hard to tell which portion is borked.

Is there a log file somewhere that says "scenario file x failed on line y"?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Unfortunately not - it's not really an end user editor which is why Johan didn't include it with the game
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

iainmcneil wrote:Unfortunately not - it's not really an end user editor which is why Johan didn't include it with the game
Heh...log everything. :) I would probably add this error message to 1.0.7 if you want to help your modding community out.

It is really strange how it changed so much. I wonder if were using the wrong map file base or something but it is odd how it works for some folks but not others. I guess the other potential thing is some jre versioning issue.
anax

Post by anax »

I have a probleme with the scenario editor
It save a new scenario .scn, but when i want to load the new scenario, the game propose me only data.scn.... so i cannot load my new scenario, and the editor dont edit new .data.
Thanks
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

anax wrote:I have a probleme with the scenario editor
It save a new scenario .scn, but when i want to load the new scenario, the game propose me only data.scn.... so i cannot load my new scenario, and the editor dont edit new .data.
Thanks
Close the game out. Move the .data file, or rename it, and restart CEaW. That should do the trick.
anax

Post by anax »

move the data file from where to where ???
the editor dont have .data files, only .snc files..... when i try to load my new scenario, i need data file (the game search data file) and if i save a new scenario, only snc files where crated, not data files.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

anax wrote:move the data file from where to where ???
the editor dont have .data files, only .snc files..... when i try to load my new scenario, i need data file (the game search data file) and if i save a new scenario, only snc files where crated, not data files.
The following is based on my assumptions that you're trying to load a modded scenario you created into CEaW and you have version 1.12 gold. If these assumptions are incorrect my apologies and please ignore.

In CEaW version 1.12 the *.data files are stored in the same folder that your same games are store. This is shown in the first picture below. However; the *.scn files need to located in the data/scenario folder where the CEaW install is (see 2nd picture below). After you restart the game CEaW will check to see if every *.scn file in that folder (picture 2) has a corresponding *.data (picture 1). If not, it will create those files (picture 3), which you can then load.

Also, CEaW checks every *.scn file (picture 2) against its corresponding *.data file (picture 1). If these are different (i.e., *.scn file has been modded) then it (should) update the *.data file to this mod. So you shouldn't have to rename the *.data file if the modded *.scn file is in the correct location. However; there have been rare occasions where the *.data file didn't update automatically and I got around this by what I described above.

anax

Post by anax »

Thanks for your reply..
i have a message "save from antérior version, cannot be load"....
I play with a french 1.04 version (and test also with a upgrade 1.06)
is the éditor compatible ????
What can i do to have a compatible editor svp ??
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

anax wrote:Thanks for your reply..
You're welcome.
anax wrote:i have a message "save from antérior version, cannot be load"....
I don't know why modifying the map or scenario would cause that. Saved games have embedded in them the map and scenario that was present when they were created. So I don't know.
anax wrote:I play with a french 1.04 version (and test also with a upgrade 1.06) is the éditor compatible ???? What can i do to have a compatible editor svp ??
I don't know about the french versions but the map editor works for us with all the versions.
anax

Post by anax »

So I buy CEAW Gold to resolve problems... but :

I create a 1940x.scn file with the editor.
I place the 1940x.scn in the CEAW Gold/data/scenario with the other *.scn files
I see the *.data file in CEAW/data/scenario
I launch the game gold with 1939 classic, because there is no 1940x files.
I quit the game. and relaunch it..... no 1940x.data anywhere even in CEAW/data/scenario.... There is only 1939/1944 classics data files

I made a mistake, but where ???
is there a problem with the name used ??
Last edited by anax on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

anax wrote:So I buy CEAW Gold to resolve problems... but :

I create a 1940x.scn file with the editor.
I place the 1940x.scn in the CEAW Gold/data/scenario with the other *.scn files
I see the *.data file in CEAW/data/scenario
I launch the game gold with 1939 classic, because there is no 1940x files.
I quit the game. and relaunch it..... no 1940x.data anywhere even in CEAW/data/scenario.... There is only 1939/1944 classics data files

I made a mistake, but where ???
No need to buy gold. The update to gold is free if you purchased an earlier version. I'm not sure why you're *.data file isn't showing up. Sorry.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Do you load ww2.map before you load your scenario?

You should save your changes to your map separately from saving changes to your mod.

My sequence is to first load the map and make the necessary changes there. Then load the scenario and save changes here.

You will end up with 3 updated files in this folder:
C:\Program Files\Slitherine\CEAW Editor\ceaw_mapeditor\data

ww2.map
ww2_city_eng.txt
1939.scn (or a different scenario name)

These files should be copied to the following folders:
ww2.map and 1939.scn to:
C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War\data\scenario

ww2_city_eng.txt to the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War\data
anax

Post by anax »

I have resolved my problem
I erase 1939.scn in gold and 1939.data in CEAW/scenario
I take and modify 1939.SCN in the editor
I transfert the new files in Gold/scenério
1939.data is automaticly created.
I can play with the new scenario.

thanks for yours replys, that help me to understands the mecanisms of the game/editor
(and excuse for my poor english...)
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

Hoping a third time is the charm to get a response on this question:D.

The CEAW map/scenario editor cannot currently be used to edit the 'Grand Strategy' expansion. I'm assuming that the 'Grand Strategy' creators are using it though for that project, but likely with updated class files. If that is accurate, are they going to publish the files needed to run the CEAW editor on the 'Grand Strategy' expansion?
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

BuddyGrant wrote:Hoping a third time is the charm to get a response on this question:D.

The CEAW map/scenario editor cannot currently be used to edit the 'Grand Strategy' expansion. I'm assuming that the 'Grand Strategy' creators are using it though for that project, but likely with updated class files. If that is accurate, are they going to publish the files needed to run the CEAW editor on the 'Grand Strategy' expansion?
No. We decided as a design team not to publish the GS editor for a number of reasons.
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

rkr1958 wrote:
BuddyGrant wrote:Hoping a third time is the charm to get a response on this question:D.

No. We decided as a design team not to publish the GS editor for a number of reasons.
That is a real shame for users of CEAW who enjoyed using the editor. Your decision basically forces those product users to disregard this excellent expansion to the game and go back to the vanilla game.

"...for a number of reasons"
Any chance you can elaborate on that:)?

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Modders Corner”