Map Editor v1.04

A secret place for modders to chat and ask questions. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

BuddyGrant wrote:"...for a number of reasons"
Any chance you can elaborate on that:)?
Sorry, I'm really not at liberty to elaborate. All I can really say is that we; i.e., the design team, discussed this among ourselves and came to the decision not to release the GS scenario editor to the community in general.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

You dont need the map editor to mod the game......much of it can be changed just using a tx editor (notepad works fine for me)

It even appears that you could mod the actual map though it would be a long process of trial and error and certainly no where near as strait forward as it was using the actual map editor, at least until you worked out what all the numbers mean and which line relates to which hex on the the map!

Adding or removing units appears to be strait forward, changing starting tech, starting labs, war effort, starting PPs, man power levels (both max and starting) starting oil levels, entry date to war are all very easy to do. Changing pro axis/allied settings I've not worked out yet though is probably pretty easy (just need to identify which value indicates this) which is something I'll be looking into to try and change Switzerland to Pro Axis again to stop the Axis AI always declaring war on them!

In short you can mod the GS expansion just not as easily as yo can with the "official" scenario editor - just remember that if you are going to play PBEM as well you need to use the original files to avoid unfair advantages to either side!

Most of my modding so far has been to make life harder for whatever side i chose to play
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

Horseman wrote:It even appears that you could mod the actual map though it would be a long process of trial and error and certainly no where near as strait forward as it was using the actual map editor, at least until you worked out what all the numbers mean and which line relates to which hex on the the map!

Adding or removing units appears to be strait forward, changing starting tech, starting labs, war effort, starting PPs, man power levels (both max and starting) starting oil levels, entry date to war are all very easy to do.
Whoa, are they? That include minor countries? I thought I looked through all the text files, there really are not that many:/.
Horseman wrote:Changing pro axis/allied settings I've not worked out yet though is probably pretty easy (just need to identify which value indicates this) which is something I'll be looking into to try and change Switzerland to Pro Axis again to stop the Axis AI always declaring war on them!
I obviously need to look at these files much more closely - are you actually talking about the java class files? You would not want to be editing those with notepad:P.

Anyway, I will check it out. If I can change political alliances, start dates, manpower, tech levels, and off map oil/production for all countries that is mostly what I need.

Note: I realize the starting tech levels for the major countries are all easily editable, as are several other things. It's mostly the minor countries I'm concerned about.
Horseman wrote:Most of my modding so far has been to make life harder for whatever side i chose to play
Absolutely. With enough tweaks the Allied AI will actually land in force in the Med. They only do that if they feel they can 'spare' extra units from home defence.
One more thing, you can actually use the old map editor with the expansion for adding new units and adjusting minor countries etc., but it will use the pre-expansion map and all the new GS sea shortcuts will be gone, along with any other map specific features of the GS expansion. Also, since the GS map changed quite a bit, you have to be careful where you set your new units or the game will crash.[/i]
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Horseman wrote:You dont need the map editor to mod the game......much of it can be changed just using a tx editor (notepad works fine for me)
I checked this out further, and sorry, but most of the game data is not editable without a scenario editor. The text files you can edit cover only a few game settings, and only for the major countries. Some added AI settings in the 'general.txt' file are there, as are the other text files you could edit in the original game. Again, these are settings changes more than anything. Oh well:-).
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

BuddyGrant wrote:
Horseman wrote:You dont need the map editor to mod the game......much of it can be changed just using a tx editor (notepad works fine for me)
I checked this out further, and sorry, but most of the game data is not editable without a scenario editor. The text files you can edit cover only a few game settings, and only for the major countries. Some added AI settings in the 'general.txt' file are there, as are the other text files you could edit in the original game. Again, these are settings changes more than anything. Oh well:-).
Im sorry but I HAVE changed all the things I've listed using just note pad so it is possible!!!!

make a copy of of the scenario files and keep it somewhere safe......now try and open it and you should get asked what program to use as windows will not know and select note pad....as if by magic it opens, now it is aload of tx/values and you do have to work out what each 1 means but thats not overally hard, the only thing I'd say was really really difficult is changing the map in any great way as its all but impossible to know what hex is what and you also have to work out what each of the values mean!!!!

Also do not try and "save as" to rename the file as that actaully just ends up saving it as a tx file, once you've made your changes just close the file and select yes to save changes....thats why you need to make a copy
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Horseman, my apologies, I never checked out the *.scn and ww2.map files, I had always assumed they were compiled files, not text files. All the key country info is at the very end of the *.scn files, including alliances, start dates, tech start levels, manpower, etc.. The unit names and placements are in this file as well, linked to a hex ID. Those will be tougher to change but I can figure out what is what by comparing differences in scenario files before and after making changes with the old map editor.

Thanks for pointing this out for stubborn old me:-).
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

BuddyGrant wrote:Horseman, my apologies, I never checked out the *.scn and ww2.map files, I had always assumed they were compiled files, not text files. All the key country info is at the very end of the *.scn files, including alliances, start dates, tech start levels, manpower, etc.. The unit names and placements are in this file as well, linked to a hex ID. Those will be tougher to change but I can figure out what is what by comparing differences in scenario files before and after making changes with the old map editor.

Thanks for pointing this out for stubborn old me:-).
No problem....I got the modding bug with rome total war and slitherines own spartan....since then I cant help but poke around and it was only my own stubbornness that led me to discover that the scenario files can be opened with note pad!!!!

One word of warning the tech start levels appear to be controlled by a seperate tx file located in the data folder....adjusting the values in the scenario files appeared to make no difference to the game though I only tried with major countries so it may be worth a shot for the minors!
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Horseman wrote:One word of warning the tech start levels appear to be controlled by a seperate tx file located in the data folder....adjusting the values in the scenario files appeared to make no difference to the game though I only tried with major countries so it may be worth a shot for the minors!
Yup, the major countries read their tech values from the "research_progress.txt" file in the data folder. That determines starting tech levels for each major country in each scenario. You can also edit labs already bought to start the game by editing the "labs_bought.txt" file (again, for major countries only). For example, if you wanted the USA to start much stronger you could set them as having 4 labs in all categories to start the game, regardless of 'max lab' settings:P.

That same 'value override' for the major countries occurs when you try to edit the GS expansion using the old editor, they re-routed this application check from the *scn files to the related data text files.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

Hi,

We had changed the game where you can alter the play of the game using the general.txt file.
You just have to make sure that both players have the same general.txt file. If you do not the game will give you a message that the general.txt file is different between the two players and should be rectified. This way one player could not cheat by altering general.txt for his side of the game giving that player an advantage. Just remember that you have an original copy of the general.txt in case you play someone that has the original general.txt file from GSv1.02 .

We did this so you could alter parameters without having to mess with the .scn and the class files.
This helped in playtesting to alter the play for play balance without having to restart your games.

pk867
nick112200
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by nick112200 »

hi,does this editor work with the gold version (1.12v)...ive just installed gold,without the original version...i dunno if that was right....i just want to add some units to the game...please guide me....thanks
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

nick112200 wrote:hi,does this editor work with the gold version (1.12v)...ive just installed gold,without the original version...i dunno if that was right....i just want to add some units to the game...please guide me....thanks
It works very well with the Gold version, but the interface is quite challenging and it can be difficult to undo actions. Make sure to do a back up first and then follow the instructions document step by step.

Notes:
- You cannot rename the 'SCN' files, when you edit one of the scenario files you have to save it with the same name it had originally (Example: If you edit the '1939.scn' file you have to save your edits with the same '1939.scn' name).
- The editor does not work on the user made 'Grand Strategy' expansion.
Hammer4000

Captials

Post by Hammer4000 »

if anyone is still into this any help is greatly needed. Because of the coded logic with the AI. We all know that the AI ignores the med & Africa. Now I have heard that the UK will send units to these areas if it has enough PP- & feels there captial is not threaten.

---So heres my question--
Why can't I remove one of UK's Captials and move it to Africa(Cario) when i try,save it and load it, its like i never even did anything at all.
I remove UK's CAP in Canada & try to move it to Africa. Nothing Happens---Any Ideas,if at all possible?
This is my only attempt to try to see if the UK will be more aggressive in Africa.

I know about the Primary Captial must be lower then the 2nd Captial if I.m right? Whoever thought of that idea?

So any help please we be gladly appreciated.

If this is not possible just reply NO.....thanks anyway!!
BuddyGrant

Re: Captials

Post by BuddyGrant »

Hammer4000 wrote:Why can't I remove one of UK's Captials and move it to Africa(Cario) when i try,save it and load it, its like i never even did anything at all.
I remove UK's CAP in Canada & try to move it to Africa. Nothing Happens---Any Ideas,if at all possible?
Are you manually moving the edited ww2.map and *.scn files from the editor folder (..\CEAW Editor\ceaw_mapeditor\data) to the CEAW ..\data\scenario folder after you make your changes? Remember that the ww2.map and *.scn file names cannot be changed.

Note: Make sure you back up any files you edit or replace in case the game does not work at all after your edits!
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

Are you manually moving the edited ww2.map and *.scn files from the editor folder (..\CEAW Editor\ceaw_mapeditor\data) to the CEAW ..\data\scenario folder after you make your changes? Remember that the ww2.map and *.scn file names cannot be changed.
Right thats what i do, i have made simple changes before like changing units,war-entrys,ownership,all that stuff. It just when ever i try to make changes like adding new citys,oil,CAP,ext they seem to never be permanent. its werid everything else can be changed but that,but then again i have only been making the changes to the scn. file. since i,ve been told that editing the Map file is not recommended.
Note: Make sure you back up any files you edit or replace in case the game does not work at all after your edits!
No offence but thats always the golden rule for edit/modding

Anyhow i think its pretty sad that me, myself(or anyone else for that matter)a lone gamer has to manually edit stuff to (try) make the AI alittle more (smart)agressive.
When the developer's should of done this in the first place, i mean they tested it, realied there were some flaws & say, (yea..... were o.k with this) :roll:

This is a great game,but for people like me(that dont play Muti) much its kinda annoying u know
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

The file back up reminder: That's just to save my ass in case you break the game based on my recommendation :lol: .
Hammer4000 wrote:...but then again i have only been making the changes to the scn. file. since i,ve been told that editing the Map file is not recommended.
Just to confirm my understanding here: You are using the game editor to make the changes, not manually editing game files in a text editor? Regardless, you need to edit the map file ("ww2.map") to get changes like oil hexes and cities in the game. I'm sure editing the map file is not recommended, but I doubt editing the *.scn file is really recommended either 8) . Also note: To have your new/changed hex names show up in the game you also have to edit the 'ww2_city_eng.txt' file. You may have to do that manually in a text editor, as I'm not sure if the official game editor makes changes to that file. The only reason I'm not 100% positive on the game editor steps is because I do all my edits via text editor, because the game editor cannot be used on the Grand Strategy version of CEAW.

I can't guarantee you can move the second British capital to North Africa, but I have successfully moved the 2nd Russian capital so it's seems like it's possible and certainly worth a try.
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

thanks for the feedback,i'll try to edit the WW2 map file aswell & the city's text file,i dont have to much experience editing the text(shouldn't be to much of a problem) only thing i have messed with is the General file
Hammer4000

mmmmm

Post by Hammer4000 »

O.k here's whats happend.....
but I have successfully moved the 2nd Russian capital so it's seems like it's possible and certainly worth a try.
Alright first i edited the map file in the editor,removed the Captial in Ottawa and replaced it in Port Said city. I never had to make changes to the ww2 city file because the name & coordinates are the same.

Success there is now a capital in Africa, now comes the problems... :roll:

1st off when you look at the political button (declare war) the English flag is in Africa instead of London.(Now i heard something about that the 2nd capital must be lower or higher then the 1st to be considered 2nd) :shock: why?

2nd after i finish my turn as the Germans & click end turn, a screen comes up as usual saying leaned lease convoy after it ends nothing happens. Its like the computer does not know what to do. the whole screen freezes & i must manual quit the game. :!:

I dont understand how you moved Russia's without the same results, I.m still puzzled at this, i hope this can be achieved,(probably not)

But...at least haveing capital's i place (stay there) is a start...thnks for the tip & anymore ideas.
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

The change seems to work for me as long as I make sure the Egyptian capital city belongs to the UK (country ID 2) and not Egypt (country ID 31). Also, I created a new city there, I did not edit "Port Said" (not sure if that makes a difference though). It does not hang at least in between turns. It won't give me the option to declare war on England but aren't they already at war in the vanilla CEAW? GE is already at war with Poland anyway. I was able to declare war on Egypt - no idea if that is different than before the edits though.

One other thing I did that likely does not matter - I added a UK INF corps on my newly created UK capital (not shown above due to fog of war). I don't expect to play test this change as I'm no longer used to the vanilla version of CEAW, but if you get it to work as I have I'd be interested to see what the UK do in North Africa, especially after Italy joins the war.
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

t won't give me the option to declare war on England but aren't they already at war in the vanilla CEAW?
yea that is weird,well a very much appreciate you taking your time trying this, i'll give it a shot and play around. Who knows the UK may be more aggressive then. then my dreams have come true,haha. Anyhow i'll mess around and see what results can emerge from this.

One little pointer that would of been nice, since the AI's coded logic pretty much makes the AI(sit there) in the Med & Africa. They should of made the UK the ability to build units down there, i'm thinkin that may of helped(since they never send units down there anyhow)

I'll give a shot

Cheers!!
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

The change seems to work for me as long as I make sure the Egyptian capital city belongs to the UK (country ID 2) and not Egypt (country ID 31).
wait i'm confused i,m on the editor as i speak but how do you do that. Did you just place a UK capital there or is it Egypt's but UK owns it if thats the case then How the hell do you do that?

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Modders Corner”