Can't get 4.0 to start on Windows 10

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Can't get 4.0 to start on Windows 10

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I've used to play CEAW-GS a long time ago, though my interest has been rekindled in the 4.0 release, however I can't get it to run. I download and made a fresh install of 3.10, then followed the instructions to install 4.0 (I didn't have to delete any .dat files, as the game had never run). When I run "Slithlaunch" the launcher opens, but when I click "OK" to start the game nothing happens, I don't see the game options window and the game doesn't start, but the launcher closes.

I've attached a screenshot of how the launcher looks to me. I'm running Windows 10 - is there a compatibility issue, if so, are there any workarounds? Would really love to give 4.0 a go. Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot-(87).jpg
Screenshot-(87).jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
Last edited by OxfordGuy3 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OxfordGuy3

Re: Can't get 4.0 to start on Windows 10

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Do I need to run the game at least once before the 4.0 patch or something? I'll reinstall 3.1 and give that a go
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

oxford_guy wrote:Do I need to run the game at least once before the 4.0 patch or something? I'll reinstall 3.1 and give that a go
Nope, still can't even run the base 3.1 game, not even if I try any of the compatibility modes :-(

Has anyone got this working on Windows 10 or is it back to SC3 for me?
Trencapins
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Trencapins »

I have W10.
I'll explain what I've done.

I completely delete all CEAW from my computer.

I install the original version of CEAW v1.12 (ask for original code / product on disk or download)

I downloaded the v4.0 version, I unzip it and put it inside the original game (ask me to confirm file replacement)

It leaves perfect and I avoid having to look for dat and replace with png etc, the map comes out perfect without displaced hexagons.

CEAW v1.12 GS v4.0 this is what you will see in the first display
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Trencapins wrote:I have W10.
I'll explain what I've done.

I completely delete all CEAW from my computer.

I install the original version of CEAW v1.12 (ask for original code / product on disk or download)

I downloaded the v4.0 version, I unzip it and put it inside the original game (ask me to confirm file replacement)

It leaves perfect and I avoid having to look for dat and replace with png etc, the map comes out perfect without displaced hexagons.

CEAW v1.12 GS v4.0 this is what you will see in the first display
Thanks - where can CEAW v1.12 be downloaded from? I don't see it here, or does the "1.12 patch" contain the full game?: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/344/downloads/

also does CEAW need to be run at least once *before* GS 4.0 is installed?

BTW the serial number I have is for Commander Europe at War: Gold
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

No it doesn't
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Stauffenberg wrote:No it doesn't
Okay, is it actually better then *not* to run 1.12 before installing GS 4.0?

I've now received a download link from Slitherine SUpport for the full 1.12 version - I'll try installing GS 4.0 over that and see if that works.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Okay, I've now got it working on my work Windows 10 PC (we're allowed to play games at lunchtime) - installed 1.12 (without running it) then GS 4.0 over the top.

As I didn't run 1.12 before installing GS 4.0, I assume there are no .dat files that would have needed deleting? Is there anyway to check that the correct map etc. is showing?

I miss the version 3.1 Large Counters a little...
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Sadly I still can't get the game to run on my home PC, this is a high-end gaming laptop connected to a 1920x1080p 24" external monitor.

It gets further than before, I get the launcher menus to select language (English) and Low/High Quality CPU (I selected High Quality), but then it just goes to a full screen, which is white in the middle, with black bars either side and I get this error from Java:

java.lang.InternalError: Could not set display mode
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.configDisplayMode(Native Method)
at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(Unknown Source)
at game.Global.setFullScreen(Global.java:1806)
at gui.TheScreen._$11000(TheScreen.java:77)
at gui.TheScreen.<init>(TheScreen.java:35)
at CEAW.main(CEAW.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

I've also tried to force it to run in Windowed mode by setting that to "1" in the settings file, but it does exactly the same. I also tried various compatibility modes and running as administrator, still no joy - are there any other settings I could try to get the game to work? Very frustrating!
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I don't know why it seems to be ignoring the windowed mode setting - in both settings,txt and GS400_settings.txt I have this set:

WINDOWED_MODE 1

I think if I could get it to run in windowed mode, I might have more luck. There is no settings file in my C:\Users\[user]\Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy 4.00 folder. Does anyone know why it seems to persist in trying (and failing) to run full screen?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Okay. well I've sort of figured out what's going on - basically the game doesn't like running in full-screen mode when my external monitor is plugged-in to my laptop computer - If I unplug the screen I can start CEAW full-screen on my laptop screen, then switch to windowed moded, then plug the monitor back in and it's fine. The problem is that it doesn't remember that I want to start in windowed mode, even though a) I'm running CEAW with admin privileges b) both the CEAW game folder and the CEAW-GS 4.0 documents folder have write permissions to everyone and c) Windowed mode is set to 1 in all settings files. For some reason it seems CEAW doesn't want to save the fact that I want to run in windowed mode.

CEAW is too small to play on my laptop screen, so currently the only way I can play it is to unplugged my monitor, start the game, switch to non-full screen, then plug in my external monitor, which is a bit of a faff...

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”