Java Fix

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Java Fix

Post by IainMcNeil »

We've had a number of people reporting issues with Commander - Europe at War v1.06. After some checking we've found the issue seems to be related to a recent Windows update for Vista & Windows XP. For some reason support for parts of the Java library that were used in the game no longer work in this windows update. We've changed the version of Java we are using and our tests so far show that this version is still supported by Windows. These kind of things are totally out of our control, but we'll do what we can to keep you running! Please report any issues in the forum.

If you are not experiencing any issues you do not need this update, as it does not change the game in any way, it only fixes a crash bug or load/save issue on some machines.

If you want to download the update please go to http://www.slitherine.com/downloads/ceaw
ICED
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

game

Post by ICED »

well i d/l the patch - ( for the crashing and lock up during play ) -- now my mouse jumps all over the map with little movement and all units move soooooooooooo slow -- plz advise
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Re: game

Post by Redpossum »

ICED wrote:well i d/l the patch - ( for the crashing and lock up during play ) -- now my mouse jumps all over the map with little movement and all units move soooooooooooo slow -- plz advise
I had that!

Turn OFF full screen mode.

You need to start a new game or load a save, then click the button you use to save a game (top row, far right), choose Options at the menu that leads to, and de-select the Full Screen option.

Or, if you're comfortable with manipulating files, go to your main CEAW directory, which for me is -

C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War

Find the file Settings.txt, double-click on it to open in Notepad, find the line that says WINDOWED_MODE (7th line up from the bottom), and change the numeral right after that from 0 to 1

Either way, please come back and let us know how you fared :)
ICED

game

Post by ICED »

thanks -- that did - changed 0 to 1 -- still a little funking -- but mouse stop jumping around the unit speed back -- but because of the smaller sreen its hard to go to the right side and bottom -(its where you can see the desk top -- but thz again --- ps any one play online with game -- i get no feed back when i posted for a game ---
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

Hey, glad that helped :)

I didn't really understand your comment about the problem you are still having. Could you explain in a little more detail, please?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It seems there are some full screen issues with the new version of java (one of the reasons we wanted to avoid changing java versions, but had to because Microsoft no longer support the older one...)

We'll check in to it and see what we can do. You can change your desktop to 1024x768 and run in a window and then it will be like playing full screen.
ICED

game

Post by ICED »

yes i did change screen resolution -- but forgot to repost here that all is well now -- thz again
Dragonflame
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Dragonflame »

For me the game ran perfectly until some days ago when I get the message saved game cannot be loaded because of older version. Then I installed the java fix. Now my saved files can be loaded again but I have the issues described by the other posters, esp. the game runs very slowly.
My question: Can I go back to the "normal" v.1.06 and somehow get it to load my games?
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Dragonflame wrote:For me the game ran perfectly until some days ago when I get the message saved game cannot be loaded because of older version. Then I installed the java fix. Now my saved files can be loaded again but I have the issues described by the other posters, esp. the game runs very slowly.
My question: Can I go back to the "normal" v.1.06 and somehow get it to load my games?
What machine spec do you run from?
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

Dragonflame wrote:For me the game ran perfectly until some days ago when I get the message saved game cannot be loaded because of older version. Then I installed the java fix. Now my saved files can be loaded again but I have the issues described by the other posters, esp. the game runs very slowly.
Are you absolutely sure you're not in Fullscreen mode? Because that slowdown was exactly what I had in Fullscreen.

Check earlier in this same thread for details :)
Dragonflame

Post by Dragonflame »

firepowerjohan wrote:
What machine spec do you run from?
Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 2GB mem, Radeon X1950 pro, XP SP2 (with latest updates)

(It runs better in windows mode, but I´d prefer it in full screen)
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

We are exploring some different Java versions and there is also some new Java versions just arrived. Expect a new hotfix soon, one that solve the performance in full screen 8)
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Dragonflame

Post by Dragonflame »

Sounds good! :)
airboy
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by airboy »

I have the same problem.

Saves would not load. Downloaded Java patch. Game would work, but ran really, really, really slow.

Read this thread and clicked to not run in "fullscreen mode," the game still moves in a choppy, slow fashion. It is an improvement. But the Demo ran really well and the Java-patched full version is not nearly as good.

An additional fix on the Java problem would be much appreciated.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We are working on it. We hope to have something in the next week or two. Thanks for your patience.
spaynter
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

help with java hotfix please

Post by spaynter »

i just tried to install the java hotfix and the following came up(THIS IS AN ADD ON INSTALLER,THE DIRECTORY YOU HAVE SELECTED DOESNT CONTAIN THE TARGET APPLICATION,PLEASE CHOOES ANOTHER ONE)can you please tell me how to do this,also the game worked fine yesterday when i bought it and i was running it as the administrater today it wont even load up.
firepowerjohan

Re: help with java hotfix please

Post by firepowerjohan »

spaynter wrote:i just tried to install the java hotfix and the following came up(THIS IS AN ADD ON INSTALLER,THE DIRECTORY YOU HAVE SELECTED DOESNT CONTAIN THE TARGET APPLICATION,PLEASE CHOOES ANOTHER ONE)can you please tell me how to do this,also the game worked fine yesterday when i bought it and i was running it as the administrater today it wont even load up.
The update we are testing is only for the Slitherine version currently. More will follow once the first one is working. Where did you buy the game?
spaynter

Post by spaynter »

hi johan,i purchased the game from a shop online in australia called military simulations,it has the matrix logo so its originally from matrix games.
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

spaynter wrote:hi johan,i purchased the game from a shop online in australia called military simulations,it has the matrix logo so its originally from matrix games.
You need to download the patch from matrixgames, they do not use the same patch as we do.
Alfaluq

Post by Alfaluq »

A few days ago the game ran perfectly. Then it just ceased up for no apparent reason and wouldn't load. I figured it must be that Java patch mentioned in this thread so, I've downloaded that; but still no joy. Any suggestions please?? cheers

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”