Latest Version

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rudgwickjohn
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Latest Version

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Hello.

Could you kindly let me know if there is a later version that I can download. I am running CEAW v 1.12 v 3.10.

Because I have difficulty in changing a zip to an exe, do you have an exe that I can click on. It would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any other "fixes/patches" that I can run that will assist in playing this game. Again an exe would be terrific.

Thanking you in anticipation.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Latest Version

Post by VPaulus »

For the moment there are no other patches or updates.
rudgwickjohn

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Thank you very much for this information.

Regards
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

We are working on a new version, but it will be a few months before it will be out. That version will probably be called GS v4.0. In the beta it was referred to as GS v3.20. You've seen some data about it already.

In the latest beta version we've added 3 new unit types (mountain corps, cavalry corps, motorised corps as separate from mechanized corps). Some new terrain types and extensive map changes. The remaning job now is to playtest enough to ensure that we have a good game balance. Once we feel the game balance is there we can prepare for the new version to be released. Then Slitherine will find a time slot where they can release it since they have to make the installer etc.
rudgwickjohn

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Thanks for the information and I'll look forward to the new version in due course.

I have a major problem with this game, which is a pity, because I enjoyed playing it. I hope, with your expert advice, to get back to being able to play it again. These are the facts of my problem:

Firstly, in replying, kindly bear in mind that I have little or no computer skills and only use my PC to play strategy games. I can follow simple steps, if guided, but my computer vocabulary is very limited.

I purchased this game as a disc with a free download and subsequently added version 3 1 0. I originally installed the game on 14th May 2012.

I experienced regular game crashes, viz screen went black and returned to desktop after installing 3 1 0. I reported this to you and was told (from memory) to uninstall the game and then reinstall it. I'm afraid I'm not at all computer literate and didn't know how to do this. So, basically I stopped playing the game and gave up on it. I hoped that a newer version might solve all the crash problems, hence my recent query.

Anyway, basically, if you think it worth a try I'd like to do the uninstall/reinstall, as a starter, before the newer version arrives in a few months time, and would welcome very much some help (in simple steps to follow) to achieve this. The current position is:

On my desktop I have an icon called "Uninstall That" and I can see within the programme CEAW. Hopefully, if you agree, I'll try to use this to uninstall. If you have your own preferred method, I'd be glad to follow this if you can tell me what to do. Could you advise how to uninstall the 3 1 0 version. Is this necessary, or by uninstalling the game will this be uninstalled as well?

This leads us to the reinstall. I have the disc with my serial number on it, but need a new download code to click on. I don't have details of the old link. I don't know the reference number for the sale, but it was purchased using my wife's email address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regarding reinstalling 3 1 0, I would also be grateful for an exe type download as I suppose I'd also need to do this as well, after reinstalling the game. Will 3 1 0 consolidate any other versions? I have a lot of problems changing a zip download into an exe and would very much appreciate an exe type please.

I do hope you can help me and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards. John
Last edited by VPaulus on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You shouldn't post your email address.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

We are not experiencing crashes with GS v3.1 or any other versions. So there is not any known bugs in the code that could cause that.

The only issue with GS v3.1 we know of is that if you play against the AI the game could hang when subs were moved. A hotfix for that was released.

If you experience crashes to desktop then your installation is probably corrupted. Then I would reinstall first the vanilla game and then GS v3.1 on-top of that.

Also be aware of that the game is VERY sensitive to modding. If you don't know what you do if you try to mod any of the txt files then you can corrupt the game. E. g. you you enter a blank line in general.txt the game won't load at all. If you miss a | in any of the message files then you will mess up all the messages that will be read.

Even I who know how the text files work struggle with crashes when I add new functionality. I then have to figure out what I added wrong and go back to a safe version and try again. Quite often changes in the txt files will require code changes as well.
rudgwickjohn

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Thank you for the information. No problem with subs. The game crashed playing Axis during first turn of invasion of USSR.

There has been no modding.

You say to reinstall. I asked some questions about doing this in the previous email. Kindly refer to this and could you kindly supply the answers to my queries I would be most grateful.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks. john
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

IF you need any download links and bought the game in our stores, please contact support[at[slitherine.co.uk with your order details, such as the order reference number and the email address used for placing the order.
rudgwickjohn

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Sorry, but you're not answering my questions. Yes, if it is required I'll contact them to get a download link. However............

Basically though, I need you to tell me if the procedure that I asked about to uninstall and reinstall ( or not as the case maybe) is the correct thing to do. If you answer each of the questions I asked, then I'll be able to proceed further. Finally, as requested before, if it's necessary to download the 3 1 0 patch again, do you have an exe type link please?

Look forward to hearing from you.
duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by duncanr »

I think that they are telling you that the correct place to get the answers is slitherine support
rudgwickjohn

Post by rudgwickjohn »

Thanks for the advice. I have tried to contact Slitherine Support, but when I click on the site I get the following message:

(From Windows Internet Explorer): " Could not perform this function because the default mail client is not properly installed".

This is why I hoped to get some help from some of the experts who regularly give advice on the forum, but if it's not their sphere, then clearly the support site is more appropriate.

Is there another way I can contact the support site?

Thank you.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Von Paulus posted an email address you can send your request to. Just remember to replace [at] with @ in the email address

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”