GS 3.0 AI getting hung up it seems

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

spratz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: GS 3.0 AI getting hung up it seems

Post by spratz »

hi Support,

There is one problem here. The download link I received for the program when I purchased it only downloads ver 2.0. I will need a new link to download the ver 1.2 you recommended I use.

Spratz
spratz

Post by spratz »

I think you have a problem here. The following is from your website. http://www.slitherine.com/ceaw_gs3
Welcome to the Grand Strategy expansion. This expansion was created by the community for the community and is completely free to anyone who has Military History Commander Europe at War! This expansion has taken years to produce and thousands of man hours from a dedicated collection of people from artists to programmers, manual writers and layout experts. The end result takes this great game to a whole new level. Note you must have Military History Commander Europe at War v2.10 or later to install the Grand Strategy expansion.

Please note that Grand Strategy 3.0 requires a Commander Europe at War serial number and this means very old versions of CEAW without a serial are not compatible.

Please clarify the situation
Spratz :shock: :shock:
spratz

Post by spratz »

I have been reading the forums and it is confusing to say the least as to what is the best and correct way to install v3.0.

Do you have to install the vanilla version(v1.0) of the game first? If you could clarify the correct procedure and provide download links to the versions required it would be appreciated.

I cannot find V1.0 at the moment and when I try to download 1.12 it fails before finishing the download (from the links provided). I have tried multiple times to download the file but it appears that the one I really need is v1.0.

Spratz
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

GS v1.0, GS v2.0, GS v2.1 and GS v3.0 are NOT stand-alone applications. You need to install your CEAW v1.12 version first. This is called the vanilla version.

Then you test this version and make sure it's running. Once that is verified you install GS v3.0 to the same folder as the vanilla game version.

Also remember there are several vanilla game versions out. You need to have a version with a serial number. You also need to get the GS v3.0 version from the same provider (Slitherine or Matrixgames) as the vanilla version you have.

I know that Slitherine and Matrixgames are offering a combo of the vanilla game and GS. In such a situation you need to first install the combo and then GS v3.0 ontop of the combo.

Which version have you ordered?
1. PC or MAC?
2. Slitherine or Matrixgames?
3. Version with or without serial number?
spratz

Post by spratz »

Hi Staffenberg,

I purchased the PC version (with serial number) from Slitherine. The link provided once I purchased it downloaded CEaW_Full_GS_2.0.exe. This version obviously will not allow me to upgrade to V3.0. So here in lies the problem.
Spratz
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Have you tried to add GS v3.0 to the same folder as the vanilla game?

For me it's the folder ...\Slitherine\Commander - Europe at War
spratz

Post by spratz »

I do not have version 1.12. The only one I have is the one CEaW_Full_GS_2.0.exe which apparently is not suitable for upgrading. I have installed over it the way you said and then got the problems outlined earlier in the posts.
I really need version 1.12 as a stand alone executable so I can then upgrade to version 3.0. The link I found would not download the file.
Please give me a working link to V1.12 so I can resolve the issue.

regards
Spratz
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

spratz wrote:I do not have version 1.12. The only one I have is the one CEaW_Full_GS_2.0.exe which apparently is not suitable for upgrading. I have installed over it the way you said and then got the problems outlined earlier in the posts.
I really need version 1.12 as a stand alone executable so I can then upgrade to version 3.0. The link I found would not download the file.
Please give me a working link to V1.12 so I can resolve the issue.

regards
Spratz
you need to ask slitherine support for a link to a vanilla version, supply them your serial number and they will help you
spratz

Post by spratz »

OMG I have just played the allied side against the AI for the first time and what a joke.
Norway fell in one turn Not possible when playing the axis side. Not only that but Oslo and two other major towns were captured in one turn.
Holland fell just as easily with little or no losses to the axis again not possible when playing the axis
France fell with two lines of defence two hexes north from Paris holding Brussels and a solid double line of British and French troops and armoured units and no German unit within three hexes of Paris. Hahahahahaha how stupid is that. Just because it was late June....
Whoever designed the AI in the game does not know the first thing about why we as a customer buys such games....... Fair and even play on both sides and you always try to better the historical events etc etc.

Many people hang rubbish on 3rd Reich PC AI, but I can tell you it leaves this game for dead and is more accurate to the historical events than any other game like this I have played. In addition either side can win FAIRLY and not by some stupid rule that says you lose regardless just because it did not reflect the historical date line.

Shame on you Slitherine, for a while there I really thought the game was good.... NOT SO, so either fix it or throw it in the rubbish tip as that is what I will do if its not fixed.

As for support, I am still waiting for an answer to my request for support.

Spratz
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

the game is not designed for AI - it is for player vs player

no need to wait for support, just play 3rd Reich PC AI
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

We have not made changes to the AI in GS. Our focus has been on PBEM and Hotseat. So the AI you see was made in the vanilla game.

Why do you play against the AI instead of looking at the opponent finder thread to find a real player to play against. It's much more fun having a real opponent.

If Paris fell when you had lot of units north of Paris it means you probably left Paris empty. If you had read the GS rules you would see that France would need to keep a unit in Paris every turn from June 1940 and later to prevent the armistice offer to be given.

This was done to prevent an Axis exploit where the Germans want to reject the armistice offer and instead kill all French units. Then they would destroy the Paris unit and just not move into Paris. With the above rule the Allied player can decide that they want an armistice by just leaving Paris empty (e. g. by making a suicide attack on a surrounding German unit or simply leaving the hex).

You seem to be rather new to the game. There are MANY rules in GS v3.0 you need to learn that could otherwise surprise you. So it's probably a good idea to carefully read the big user manual.
spratz

Post by spratz »

Thanks Stauffenberg,

Your comments are really appreciated and you are correct I did not have a unit in Paris so that is probably why it happened. I am learning the game by playing AI as it is just too frustrating to the other player and myself by playing a real opponent at the moment.
one other point.... From what I can gather (and I have read the manual to try and find out) Russia does not surrender, you have to push them back to the Urals and hold them there. Is that correct?
Also how did Germany take Oslo and two other major towns in one move. Having played the axis I just could not do it no matter what I did?
Spratz
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Russia surrenders if both Moscow and Omsk are Axis controlled.

Norway and Denmark are captured by the Axis AI in 1 turn as part of a script since the real AI never knew how to invade these countries. That means you can't prevent these invasions as the Allied player. You just need to liberate Norway and Denmark.

We also had to make a special code for Switzerland since quite often the Axis AI invaded Switzerland and got bogged down there.

The AI is really stupid with attacks. I've played the Allies and held France through 1940. The AI doesn't know which hexes to go after. Instead it changes targets from turn to turn and that means it struggles to get a hole in the line it can exploit.

The AI is so poor so it's actually no challenge playing against it. I decided against trying to improve it since it's such a major task. Even with improved code the AI won't be anywhere near a real person in playing skills.
spratz

Post by spratz »

Once again thanks Stauffenberg
That answers my questions.

Spratz
I16Polikarpov
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by I16Polikarpov »

Hi guys!!
I registered here to check out if I can find a solution to my problem with GS mode.
I have the CEAW Military History 1.12 (with serial no.) , wich Works fine on my PC Windows 7 (64).
I installed the GS mode 3.0 from Slitherine's page (the vanilla is also from Slitherine), and I have to say it was an amazing game until turn 50... then completely freezes!!!
-The mod is installed in the same folder as the vanilla game-
Well, then I uninstalled 3.0 versión of GS, thinking it could be a problem of that mod, and I installed instead the GS 2.1 mod, that is very similar. The problem is still there: the game freezes on turn 50 and there's no way to continue it!!!
Any idea about wich could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Are you sure you have downloaded 3.0? Or is it 3.1?
I16Polikarpov

Post by I16Polikarpov »

Sure it was GS 3.0, but I uninstalled it and installed the 2.1 instead, but the problema remains.
Is there a 3.1 GS update that solve that problem?
I16Polikarpov

Post by I16Polikarpov »

Ok. I uninstalled the 2.10 versión, and re-installed the 3.00 again. I`ll see what will happen, but I'm sure it will hang out again when Russia enters the war, more or less around turn 50...,
It's a pity, because this GS mode seems to be the best strategy game ever... I need a solution to this problem!!!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please uninstall 3.00 and install 3.10:
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Commander ... p-v310.zip

Please also note that GS modules were made for PBEM and not for playing against AI. So you can always find some bugs when playing in Single Player.
I16Polikarpov

Post by I16Polikarpov »

I've installed GS 3.10 and seems that the problem is solvented, excepting the bug that throws you to the desktop but saving game every turn there's no problem...
I know the GS is made for PBEM game, but after trying it it's sooooooo boring playing the vanilla...
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”