CEAW & CEAW-GS: loss of keyboard response

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

CEAW & CEAW-GS: loss of keyboard response

Post by rkr1958 »

Tim wrote:I've been playing around with this issue and found that it's pretty easy to get in a state where the game will no longer respond to key presses (plus/minus for zoom, 's' for sentry, page-up/page-down for switching units, and arrow keys for scrolling). I've seen the same problem with the vanilla CEAW (all versions) and the Freeverse MAC version.

One way I've found to reliably reproduce the general issue with loss of keyboard response is to click on the name of a unit in the unit panel (lower left corner of the war window) like you're going to rename the unit, and then click on another portion of the window (for instance, back to the map). In this case, it appears that the "destination" for keystrokes appears to logically remain at the text cursor for entering unit name changes. The workaround I've found for this issue is to click on a unit name again (any unit will do), and hit "enter" or "return". This terminates the mode for text entry of unit names and returns keyboard control to the main war window.
I thought I pass on Tim's finding to the community. I went through the steps myself and confirmed the bug in both the GS and vanilla version of CEaW. Also, I confirmed the workaround too. This "feature" impacts the most those of us who rename units. This "feature" appears to be in the game every since renaming of units was introduced back in v.1.03 (I believe) of the vanilla game. So this "feature" in GS is a carry over from the vanilla game, been around for over two years now, and will be something we'll likely have to live with.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”