Windows 7 issues?

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows 7 issues?

Post by IainMcNeil »

This is from Stuaffenberg after trying to get CEAW moved across to his Windows 7 machine. We don't know if this will be an issue for other people too but just in case here is how he fixed it.

I experienced one issue that was rather annoying. The game didn't move to full screen mode and selected a refresh rate of 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz with 1024x768. If I manually changed the refresh rate to 60 Hz then the game moved into fullscreen mode. But then I had to set my screen back to 1680x1050 after I exited the game.

When I was not in fullscreen mode I couldn't use End Game or Quit to Desktop.

The default refresh rate for my 22" LCD monitor is 60Hz, but I've read several places that Windows 7 has a bug so the actual refresh rate 59.94 Hz is rounded down to 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz as in Vista and XP. For some reason the 59 Hz mode behaves very differently in CeaW.

Here is a link about this bug:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=175217

Windows 7 is officially released tomorrow so I guess others could get into the same problem as I did. In the link there is an easy workaround by changing values in the Nvidia control panel.

Here is what people can do:
- Go to Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Add resolution
- Create Custom Resolution
- Click on Timing
- Click on Manual
- Set refresh rate to 60.000 Hz
- Press Apply

It's set to 59.000 so you need to up it to 60.000.

I installed the latest Windows 7 Nvidia drivers to be sure it wasn't the reason for the problem. Here is a link to the latest
Nvidia Windows 7 drivers:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards- ... 7_c37.html

It seems the 32-bit version is version 191.07 while the 64-bit is 190.38.

After applying the above changes I can start CeaW normally in Windows 7. It starts in fullscreen mode as intended.

I hope this will be useful information for tech support after Windows 7 is released and players might post email messages with similar problems.
demerize
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by demerize »

I have just installed Win 7, Same monitor resolution as your, but running an ATI 4870 w/latest drivers... any solution for that?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your card and followed the suggestiosn above?
sturmer
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by sturmer »

Hey I have windows 7 and have a random exit problem, any tips??
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

No matter what I do or try, I can't get any updates on this game. What is it i have to do to play the gold version? I already tried to install, 1.12. They are both there, but yet, I only have 1.00. I am very frustrated that this has to be so complex when I don't feel it should have to be.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I'm not sure what teh issue is Panzers?

If you have the old CEAW version we ghave away the gold update for free in a zip which you should apply. If you have the Gold version you dont need any patches. There is nothing else to it.

The 1.12 patch doesnt add any gameplay, just some cosmetics to the launcher so is not needed.

Sturmer - we'd need more info on the problem to try and work itout. When exactly does it happen, what version do you have, what is your OS & system specs etc.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

Windows 7 requires 1.12 in order to get the gold edition. I have gold edition icon on my desktop but I don't get the game. I don't understand why.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

When I go to the icon to play the game, it says I have to have java.exe. When I go to install it, windows says it has a missing file and can't locate it. This is the kind of thing I don't understand. I understand all of your games are in java mode, but I can't get the proper java apparenrtly
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

My guess is that the icons are broken in some way - perhaps because of the dual installs?

Cheers

Pip
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I don't know. All I know is that I have both the game and the gold update in the file. Do I need to reinstall the game?
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I reinstalled the game and I am just not getting it. How is everyone else getting it and not me?
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

Ok. This is getting stranger by the minute. I reinstalled the game and actually got the chouce to play in high resolution and low. But even after that, I got version 1.00. Am I getting closer or am I just not going to get it?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you installing to the default installation directory? I know W7 can sometimes do odd things with regard to installing apps for compatibility if you are running W7/64.

Cheers

Pip
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

No, I am play 32 bit
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

panzers wrote:No, I am play 32 bit
I have windows 32 bit
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I have done everything you have asked of me and I have nothing. Why is this so difficult? CNAW works just fine. It obviously isn't gonna work. If I send you the serial number, can I get a new copy?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

They use exactly the same technology. Whatever you did to get CNAW to work you need to do for CEAW. I'm not sure what you mean about sending a serial? It must be some weird conflict on your machine but it is very hard for us to work it out.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I bought CEAW before it went to gold. I bought CNAW last February and got the updates with no problem. I have the gold icon,for CEAW but no game. I have tried everything. I am able to play 1.00, but that is it. Nothing else will work on this s****y software. The only Slitherine games I am able to play are the ones released after windows 7 was released. I have problems with all the ancients as well. I can't play anything on this piece of crap software
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The old CEAW was built before Windows 7 and may not be compatible. Did you buy the gold version or try to upgrade via the free patch from CEAW to CEAW gold? Windows 7 can usually be made to work if you follow all teh MS guidelines but I'm not really up to speed on them. I'll ask Phil to post here as he knows them better. As discussed before, this is not our issue - it as Windows 7 issue. You shodul direct any wrath at Microsoft. Games cannot be reworked to be compatible with an OS that releases after they were completed. The OS should be backwards compatible. Its the same as expecting a Windows 95 application to run on Windows 7. If it doesn't run it is not the developers fault.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

My guess is that Windows 7 probably blocked the update to Gold if you were trying to do it using a zip. It protects application files to try and prevent viruses etc from inserting themselves.

I'm not sure of the best way around that, if it is the problem. Are you logged in as Administrator? Although even then it might try and prevent it - you would need to elevate the priviliges on the file copy.

Hopefully you can get the files into the correct place and then it should work.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”