Windows 7 issues?

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

Yes I used Administrator. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new copy. I don't think there is anything I can do anymore.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I'm gonna try one last time. Everything I try ends up in windows saying it is searching for Java.EXE. I have it, but it isn't recognizing it for some reason
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Does a vanilla install of the version you have work? I mean without trying to apply the free update?

Cheers

Pip
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

yes. I am not able to apply any updates. Not just gold. All I can get is 1.00
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

I guess we're all out of options and I'm screwed
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The updates dont change the core game technology so if you can run that you shoudl be able to play with the updates. All I can assume is it is not being applied correctly - maybe down to some weird Windows 7 issue, but unfortunately there is not much we can do about it.
JimWC
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JimWC »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Are you installing to the default installation directory? I know W7 can sometimes do odd things with regard to installing apps for compatibility if you are running W7/64.

Cheers

Pip
Hi -- I have the same problem (when I go to run the game it says it can't find java.exe). I am running with Windows 7. On the second install I installed the Grand Strategy mod to the default directories. However, my CAEW v1.12 Gold is not in the default directory. It's in C:\Matrixgames\CAEW112. Any ideas?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Just to be clear - what exactly is working and what is not working?

Does the game run without GS installed? Does it still run with GS installed if you use the old shortcut?

If GS cant find java it probably means its not installed to the right place. If I remember correctly the GS expansion requires you to specify the folder your current game is installed to? If you don't it wont work.
JimWC
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JimWC »

iainmcneil wrote:Just to be clear - what exactly is working and what is not working?

Does the game run without GS installed? Does it still run with GS installed if you use the old shortcut?

If GS cant find java it probably means its not installed to the right place. If I remember correctly the GS expansion requires you to specify the folder your current game is installed to? If you don't it wont work.
CAEW runs fine both before and after the GS installation. (There seems to be a new crash bug under Windows 7, but it's not frequent enough to make the game unplayable.) It's only when I try to run GS that I get the error that it can't find java.exe. The GS expansion does NOT ask you to specify the folder of the current game. (I uninstalled and re-installed it to check on that.) It only asks where you want to install GS and where you want the shortcut to be put.

I tried running GS and browsing to the java.exe in my CAEWv1.12 folder. The game started up, but it appeared to be the regular game and not GS.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Ahh - I think GS is only compatible with the Gold version of CEAW. The issue is that the registry is not up to be able to locate the old CEAW version. I think this is the issue. It's failing to link up with the old version of CEAW. There isn't really a solution for this I can think of unfortunately :(
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Just to confirm, I have windows 7 64bit and both the original and GS work fine for me - I do have the gold version
JimWC
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JimWC »

iainmcneil wrote:Ahh - I think GS is only compatible with the Gold version of CEAW. The issue is that the registry is not up to be able to locate the old CEAW version. I think this is the issue. It's failing to link up with the old version of CEAW. There isn't really a solution for this I can think of unfortunately :(
I thought I had the Gold version. Is it different that v1.12? How do you tell the difference?
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

iainmcneil wrote:If GS cant find java it probably means its not installed to the right place. If I remember correctly the GS expansion requires you to specify the folder your current game is installed to? If you don't it wont work.
That is correct. The GS expansion should work with both the MH gold and older version of CEAW updated to 1.12. The "java.exe" not found error after installation of GS is usually an indicator that you installed the expansion to the wrong directory. Generally, this happens when the user uses the default location for MH version of CEAW and the actual install; e.g., as in the case of the non-MH version, is installed in another location. If this happens then uinstall GS. Then reinstall it but make sure you select the correct directory for where your version of 1.12 is located.
JimC wrote:I thought I had the Gold version. Is it different that v1.12? How do you tell the difference?
If you're version includes the historical videos then you have the Gold version; if it doesn't then you don't.
JimWC
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JimWC »

Got it to work -- thanks! I have v1.12, but the key was to install the GS into the same directory as v1.12. Without your help I would never have figured that out!
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

JimC wrote:Got it to work -- thanks! I have v1.12, but the key was to install the GS into the same directory as v1.12. Without your help I would never have figured that out!
Glad you got it working. :D
afk_nero
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Windows 7 issues?

Post by afk_nero »

I have a strange problem-

Using GS 2.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. In PBeM my game works fine in that I am able to create a game as Axis email the first turn, my opponent is then able to play the file and send this back to me - I can then open the file play the turn and as I click end turn I get an error stating that I must have a legitimate destination to save the file and then the game shuts down entirely.

Any ideas?
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Could it be that you don't have enough access rights to the folder where the game is stored?
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

I have full admin rights - it also works the first time (ie; when I send my first turn) - I will send a screen shot later today.

Oren
msu7151
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by msu7151 »

Ian:
I just purchased Military History Commander Europe at War. I had the older version, but changed computers. This computer has Windows 7. When I install the game it will allow me to play for one session. However, the saved game won't come up, nor will a new game. What exactly are the steps I need to take to get this working properly on my computer? Thanks again.
msu7151
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by msu7151 »

Iain:
I appreciate the response, but Stauffenberg's problems with the game are not mine. I can play the game after it's install, but it will not play again after I save it. The game just will not come up again. Is there an update or patch for this kind of problem? Thanks.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”