How to play MHCEAW on your 1024x600 resolution Netbook!

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

julyderek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

How to play MHCEAW on your 1024x600 resolution Netbook!

Post by julyderek »

Hi,

I have a Asus EeePC 1000H with a normal resolution of 1024x600. It can display a resolution of 1024x768 by software emulation. MHCEAW plays on a minimum resolution of 1024x768. So, the problem is that it doesn't play on a Netbook with 1024x600 resolution.

Since I purchased MHCEAW, I was desperately trying for it to work on my Netbook. I used to get it to work on a External monitor but then it defeats the purpose of a Netbook.

I finally found the solution. It works on a scrolling pseudo-1024x768 resolution. It works on my EeePC 1000H brilliantly and it should work on all other Netbooks with the Intel Chipset and 1024x600 resolution. Let me iterate it step by step :

(1) Get a program called AsTray Plus. This originally was written for the first Netbook the Asus EeePC 701 with a resolution of 800x480. AsTray Plus managed though software even get a resolution of 1024x768 on the 701.

The home thread of AsTray Plus is here http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=18260
The stable version of AsTray Plus is version 1.3.7 which can be downloaded from http://www.eeefiles.com/index.php?act=view&id=44

(2) Extract the files of AsTray Plus to a folder of your choice and make a short-cut of the AsTray.exe on your desktop.

(3) In the AsTray folder there will be a AsTray.ini file which needs to be modified to run on the 1024x600 netbook. Copy these settings as below into the AsTray.ini file.
;Comments of AsTray.ini was created by ddlooping.
; ===== SCREEN SETTINGS =====
; The settings found under "BaseMode", "[AppWatching]" and [QuickSwitch]" are as follows:
; - First number: horizontal resolution in pixels. Ex: "800", "1024", "640".
; - Second number: vertical resolution in pixels. Ex: "480", "600", "768".
; - Third number: color quality in bit. Ex: "16", "32".
; - Fourth number: refresh rate in Hertz. "60" (hertz) is the eeePC default and recommended setting.
; - Fifth number: this number indicates whether you want the Windows cursor to be visible or hidden when using a "watched" application.
; It is only used in the [AppWatching] settings and can be set to "1" to hide the cursor or "0" to show it.
; These settings have to be to be separated by a coma ",".
; Please keep in mind the Intel drivers only support a limited number of resolutions.

[Settings]
; Set appWatching to 1 if you want AsTray+ to automatically change screen settings when you start specific applications.
; The list and settings of the applications to "watch" are set under [AppWatching].
AppWatching=0

; BaseMode is your default screen setting (see SCREEN SETTINGS for details).
; It contains the settings your eeePC will revert to when you exit an application AsTray+ is set to "watch".
; It will also be your screen settings when you start your eeePC, unless you set "SaveLastMode" to 1 (more about "SaveLastMode" later).
BaseMode=1024,600,32,60

; Set Downscaling to 1 if you want AsTray+ to downscale resolutions higher than the eeePC native one (800 pixels x 480 pixels).
; No scrolling will then be neccessary, but you will notice a loss in quality.
; Set Downscaling to 0 for best quality, but you will have to scroll when using resolutions higher than the eeePC native one.
Downscaling=0

;Set HotKey to 1 if ou want to enable the hotkey function.
HotKey=1

; If KeyState is set to 1, AsTray+ will display a message when your Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and/or Num Lock is On.
; This information will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen.
; You can set the color of the message and of its shadow under [KeyboardState] => FontRGB and ShadowRGB.
KeyState=0

; If SaveLastMode is set to 1, AsTray+ will remember and use your last screen settings when you restart your eeePC or AsTray+ itself.
SaveLastMode=0

[AppWatching]
; Use this section to list the applications you would like Astray+ to automatically change screen settings for.
; The first part of each line (before the "=" sign) must contain the full path of the application.
; The second part (after the "=" sign) contains the screen and cursor settings for this application (see SCREEN SETTINGS for details).

; Example 1: When starting Notepad, the screen resolution is set to 900x540 pixels, with a bit depth of 32, a refresh rate of 60Hz and the Windows cursor is hidden.
; c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe=900,540,32,60,1

; Example 2: When starting Interent Explorer, the screen resolution is set to 1024x768 pixels, with a bit depth of 16, a refresh rate of 60Hz and the Windows cursor is visible.
; C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe=1024,768,16,60,0

; Example 3: When starting Windows Calculator, the cursor is hidden but no changes are made to the other screen settings.
; c:\windows\system32\calc.exe=,,,,1

[QuickSwitch]
; Quickswitch is the list of presets you would like to be available in the AsTray+ menu (when right-clicking the AsTray+ icon in the system tray).
; Each line represents a preset.
; The first part of each line (before the "=" sign) is the name you want to give the preset (i.e, "Browsing", "Media Player", "1000x600").
; The second part (after the "=" sign) contains the screen settings for the preset (see SCREEN SETTINGS for details).
Native=1024,600,32,60
1024x768=1024,768,32,60

[KeyboardState]
; FontRGB is the color, in R(ed)G(reen)B(lue) hexadecimal format, of the Keystate information text.
; Examples:
; FontRGB=FF0000 => pure red
; FontRGB=00FF00 => pure green
; FontRGB=0000FF => pure blue
; FontRGB=FFFF00 => bright yellow
; FontRGB=000000 => black
; FontRGB=FFFFFF => white
; FontRGB=808080 => medium grey
; FontRGB=000080 => navy blue
; More information on RGB values and a color chart can be found at http://www.web-source.net/216_color_chart.htm
FontRGB=F0F0F0
; ShadowRGB is the color, in R(ed)G(reen)B(lue) hexadecimal format, of the Keystate information text shadow.
ShadowRGB=303030

[HotKey]
; Used in conjunction with the "Windows" key on your keyboard to change screen settings on the fly.
; Each hotkey value can either be a single digit (0~9) or letter (A~Z).
CursorHide=C
MonitorOff=X
Resolution=Z
(4) Now double click on the AsTray shortcut and start the program. Now, AsTray plus will be running in your task-bar. Right click on the AsTray icon in the taskbar and select "Quick Switch" and then "1024x768". If you get a error message after this than ignore the error message.

(5) Now start MHCEAW Gold normally and it should work with a scrolling 1024x768 resolution.

(6) To get your Netbook screen to its normal resolution, first shut-down AsTray plus and select the Native resolution through the software installed by your Netbooks manufacturer (for selecting multiple resolutions) or select the 1024x600 resolution by right-clicking the desktop and through "Display Properties"/"Settings".

(7) Enjoy playing MHCEAW on your Netbook ! It will on other Netbooks too as AsTray plus does work on most other Netbooks with a 1024x600 resolution.

DISCLAIMER : Though I have used this method for playing MHCEAW on my EeePC 1000H and it works without a glitch, I am not responsible for any damage caused by the above process. Please proceed at your own risk.
Last edited by julyderek on Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks - I will sticky this for others to see!
kitarefo
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by kitarefo »

Thank You Mr. Julyderek excelent tool, used it on my Acer netbook runs fine !! But I would rather run it on 1920x1080 res. on my 22" monitor but sure gonna use this tool for other games.
Good job, thanks !
delic
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by delic »

Do you think it can work on a eeepc touch, I have T91MT with a 1024x600 screen, and ceaw starts, but got no panel, only the map ?
kitarefo

Post by kitarefo »

Hi
I think it will, no harm in trying it, check for new beta version.
Cheers!
rozac

Post by rozac »

:D Thank you ! Now i can play with my ASUS X53S.
delic

Post by delic »

Thx a lot, it works on my multitouch eeepc T91MT !

It's really fun play without mouse !
Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: How to play MHCEAW on your 1024x600 resolution Netbook!

Post by Cybvep »

I get an error while trying to set the resolution to either 1024x600 or 1024x768. If I do it manually before starting the game, then it works. Help.
hnoor0055

Post by hnoor0055 »

It's really fun play without mouse !
NOOR
Edward75
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Edward75 »

This method will help me. if I have a resolution of 1600x900?

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”