Recommended reading.... Street Without Joy

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Recommended reading.... Street Without Joy

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Hello. I just bought this game because I love the Vietnam war. I also love the French Indochina War which softened up the NVA a bit before the Americans came for their turn.

Everyone who likes war in Vietnam should read this book called 'Street Without Joy' which is one of the nice Stackpole war books.

https://www.amazon.ca/Street-Without-Jo ... 0811732363
Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Recommended reading.... Street Without Joy

Post by ErissN6 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:A lot of the French were veterans from the French resistance in WW2 in France and North Africa. And they had light tanks too, arty support and a few bombers which helped a lot to cull the enemy hordes.
Thanks.
Those resistants took the german role against other resistants, they had learnt nothing from their WW2 suffering.
There was the myth of french light infantry, like the better of the world. Okay they were superior, but it was much propaganda: France had still not recovered from WW2, was not very rich, so they prefer to have lightly equiped troops... The myth was to entertain the morale of troops against their light equipment, and it worked well for decades... The better weapon of a fighter is his will. (I mean, all armies do that propaganda, but here it was made by many civilian litteratures, news and films at a greater level and it lasts the Cold War)
(Lol, reminds me Starship Troopers, propaganda to send human meat)

Return to “Vietnam '65”