Infantry combat with own casualties

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
grenadier98
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Infantry combat with own casualties

Post by grenadier98 »

Hi there, I'm new to the game and I just realised that I don't get any credit in an infantry fight when I suffer casualties, even if the enemy unit is destroyed. Before the fight there where 2 VC units listed in the activity report, after the fight only 1 - so the unit I attacked must be destroyed. But the status report (body count list) only show my unit as a casualty, but my unit is just wounded and not destroyed. I also got now political points and a negative opinion modifier for the closest village. I guess I should get a negative effect because my unit was damaged/wounded but on the other hand I destroyed an enemy unit and I miss all the positve effects bout it. Is this really working as intended?
ogre
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Infantry combat with own casualties

Post by ogre »

VC disperse after they attack (win or lose). The VC won (your unit took damage) and the VC dispersed.
NVA, on the other hand, stick around after a win.
grenadier98
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by grenadier98 »

Thanks for the answer, that explains a lot. I've played two veteran games now and I think I got an idea of what to do. I was surprised to see the Cobra not being shot at by enemy RPGs - I love this helicopter. Going up the ranks and having more airstrikes available and having some luck with the maplayout makes a game much easier.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Glad to see you are enjoying the game. VC have no cohesion so disban after every contact win or lose, the NVA when successful retreat to the west then continue on the original mussion.

See you in Kandahar :shock:

Return to “Vietnam '65”