The UI

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

The UI

Post by Nijis »

First off, a brilliant game. I really like the emphasis on logistics, on managing an area, and really wish more games to this approach.

My one complaint is the UI. It's far too easy to do the wrong thing. I have repeatedly had an infantry unit sweep mines, for example, when I wanted it to move two hexes to the northeast. I have sent helicopters off to the southeast corner of the map when I wanted to end the game. And I have yet to work out how to de-select reliably.

There's no obvious answer to this - my one suggestion would be to switch to the left-select, right-deselect convention, with special actions tied to hotkeys only. Or at least have this as an option.

I'd be interested to hear if others are having these problems.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: The UI

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Currently LMB is select and RMB deselect ?
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

There should be options to have the orders floating to the right (mainly, sometimes to the left) of the screen
(I mean, they become detached instead of desapearing):
. for the strategic orders (napalm, air supply, ..)
. for the orders of the current unit
It's not fun to lose sight of the ennemy and go to the right (or left sometimes when ordering a west unit on a east ennemy) of the screen each time.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

What about putting the action button bottom left next to the unit info, stays on screen as you pan?
We are trying a few things :)
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

What about putting the action button bottom left next to the unit info, stays on screen as you pan?
I'm guessing that would work pretty well.

Re deselect with right-click, I find that it doesn't work about a third of the time. It's easy enough to click again, but you do have to be extra careful to make sure that the unit has been deselected. Also, the small inconsistency meant that I didn't realize it was the way to deselect. But overall, not a big problem.
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

Another problem is the jungle border:
often (mostly with infantry) I want to go in clear area near jungle, and no that was jungle, my movement is stopped and I can't be taken by helos:
please make jungle hexes more visible in borders (or add a tooltip telling what is the hexe).
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Looking at the UI, and yes sometimes the jungle border looks more like clear....
strollen2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by strollen2 »

My biggest complaint about the UI is exactly this. It is much to easy to try and move north and accidently hit sweep for my mines or ambush. I more than one occasion I've reload cause the extra 2 squares were the difference between being able to resupply my units or not. I think moving the orders somewhere else or simply putting in an undo button would be fine.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Moving the action buttons to the bottom of the screen to fix this problem as well as making panning easier.. :)
HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by HobbesACW »

The scrolling seems a bit of a pain to me. Up and down is fine when you move the cursor to the edge of the screen but nothing happens when you move it to the left or right edge - you have to put the cursor on a small sweet spot.

Cheers,
Chris
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

On the list , thanks :)
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Another minor gripe. I assume most people play PC games with their left hand hovering over the left side of the keyboard and their right hand on the mouse. So why are the unit cycle hot keys Page Up and Page Down? Even 'N' for next and 'B' for back is better. Once you have to move your arm rather than just your wrist the UI starts to feel clunky. The further left these hot keys are the better.

Cheers,
Chris
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Good point, thanks :)
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

I usually play pc games on the right num pad. So, if you could send all the keys to the right, and keep page-up and page-down keys... :roll:
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

I guess the way forward is customization.... :shock:
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

Vietnam65 wrote:I guess the way forward is customization.... :shock:
I was almost joking as the game can be played without the keyboard, so let you work on the more important matters first (like me Hobbes says it is minor).
dafrandle
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by dafrandle »

Vietnam65 wrote:I guess the way forward is customization.... :shock:
its always customization, the best way to give everyone something they want is to let them set it up the way they like
Mylo42
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Mylo42 »

I do hope that there is consideration for the UI to take full advantage of iOS. BotB and DoM are brilliant in this regard. I can only hope VN65 follows suit.
Last edited by Mylo42 on Fri May 08, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Yes, slightly different UI used for iPad than the PC, give more feedback..... :shock:

Return to “Vietnam '65”