Onother one bites the dust - AAR

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Onother one bites the dust - AAR

Post by Sabratha »

Here is how it looks like on turn 45:
Map info:
Circled in orange - areas that were jungle at the start of the game, that were cleared and made into roads
Circled in red - areas that were jungle at the start of the game, that were just cleared.
FOB - forward outposts.

Final score:
H&M 78%
US losses 21
VC losses - 33
NVA losses - 23
0 opfor units active at end of game.

Started by buying 1 engineer and one chinook. Picked the place for my firebase in the middle (as seen on the map attached).
Made my regular run - drop infantry and visit villages. At first I did not clear or made roads to the firebase, just moved my engineer there as fast as possible. The other was movd twoards villages that had no clear zones around them to make LZs.

I then bougth a cobra, killed some opfor, but they killed one of my enginers. Cleared the jungle between my firebase and the westernmost outpost . Turns out the NVA invasion route was more to the north of said outpost then I assumed, but NVA still got lured to attack an outpost manned by ambush ready infantry. Later on said outpost was enforced with a tank, an artillery unit and had a geen beret patrol 2 hexes from it.

Commenced with standard locate VC and kill strategy, this later enabled me to buy a 3rd engineer (to replace the one killed, so ended up with 2 active) and a 2nd cobra and 2nd artillery piece. Made a second outer outpost in the northeast. By this time H&M was around 70%. Smooth sailing since.
Last edited by Sabratha on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: Onother one bites the dust - AAR

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Really is gratifying when , as a developer, you get this kind of post :)
oddible
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by oddible »

Vietnam65 wrote:Really is gratifying when , as a developer, you get this kind of post :)
OK you've inspired me... here it comes!
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Oh btw, forgot to mention it - this was on veteran level.

Return to “Vietnam '65”