VC running across the map to get away

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
gunny_slith
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

VC running across the map to get away

Post by gunny_slith »

I am having fun with this little game. But I noticed why I can never corner an enemy that has broken contact. There is no point even trying to vector in on them. One game I had the map very stacked with my units at regular intervals doing their thing. My Arvn platoon made contact, took casualties, and the VC platoon broke off and ran past all my units on the map and it exited. The reason why I saw this is it had to pass by all my units as it basically ran half of the map distance from south to north in one turn. So this must be a play balance abstraction I suppose since the US gets helicopters and tanks.
dafrandle
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: VC running across the map to get away

Post by dafrandle »

all vc units disappear from the map after they take an action, this includes being attacked
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

This is an important point, when VC are involved in a contact they will allways dis an, they lose cohesion as they are not regular forces, the running away is just an animation, which I think I am going to take out as players seem to get frustrated at they think the VC actually move like that in the game, which is not the case.

The NVA on the other hand , when successful in combat retreat to the west, regroup and then continue on the original mission.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Vietnam65 wrote:This is an important point, when VC are involved in a contact they will allways dis an, they lose cohesion as they are not regular forces, the running away is just an animation, which I think I am going to take out as players seem to get frustrated at they think the VC actually move like that in the game, which is not the case.

The NVA on the other hand , when successful in combat retreat to the west, regroup and then continue on the original mission.
This is very important information that is not available to the player. I think this should be stessed in the tutorial. I seen NVA withdraw and get killed by a second attack of mine in the same turn, so I assumed VC do the same, that they just retreat further away.

I think it would be nice if you swapped the animation to the individual VS soldier figures from the unit each running away in a different direction and disappeaing on the edge of the hex. This should be a clear enough visual indicator for the player that the VS unit dispersed.
Chippit
Vietnam ’65 Lead Programmer
Vietnam ’65 Lead Programmer

Post by Chippit »

Sabratha wrote:I think it would be nice if you swapped the animation to the individual VS soldier figures from the unit each running away in a different direction and disappeaing on the edge of the hex. This should be a clear enough visual indicator for the player that the VS unit dispersed.
This has long-since been our plan ;)
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Vietnam65 wrote:This is an important point, when VC are involved in a contact they will allways dis an, they lose cohesion as they are not regular forces, the running away is just an animation, which I think I am going to take out as players seem to get frustrated at they think the VC actually move like that in the game, which is not the case.

Ah, good to know! I wondered why I could never find them! :)
tomchick

Post by tomchick »

Sabratha wrote:This is very important information that is not available to the player.
It's available to players who read the included documentation. Which I heartily suggest if you want to play this game. Just running through the tutorial is only going to give you the basics.

-Tom
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

This is true , much of the depth of the game is lost if you dont't at least read the Advanced Trainging, never mind the manual :shock:

Return to “Vietnam '65”