some ideas I had while playing to add to the game

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
dafrandle
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

some ideas I had while playing to add to the game

Post by dafrandle »

Let me start by saying, I really like this game, and my ideas are just that, ideas.
i'm not demanding them or anything

I will start with the simple ones.

Endurance mode
3x the amount of turns
2X the map size, in all facets (except maybe the river)

Carpet Bombing
a B-52 will destroy all enemy units, jungles, and villages in a 3 hex diameter (1 hex and its adjacent hexes)
it takes 15 turns to reload
if a village is destroyed you lose 20 H&M
never misses (because it just saturating an area not targeting something)

new units

oh-6 cayuse
the thing that inspired this idea was that fact that these often accompanied cobras in hunter killer missions, obviously we cant do that in this game otherwise it would be ridiculously overpowered
so i think to make it work you would have it
have a travel range somewhere in between the huey and the chinook
it has a view range of 3 in plains and 1 in jungles
it has 3 supply

after 1 hit it becomes a downed pilot who only can move one tile and has no view range if you lose the pilot it costs you a very large amount of political support, if you get it to a base (not an outpost) he gets a new heli (aka is repaired)

Gun truck or Navy Seals
(i would include an image of a gun truck but the spam filter won't let me)

My idea for this unit would be to have very high damaging unit that needs to be supported to be useful, like a glass cannon.
thus it has a very high base attack but can only take one hit and then dies
only has 3 supply. after all it takes a lot of bullets to cut down a tree

M35 trucks
this is my most expansive unit idea

the m35 is a cheap vehicle that can move as far as a Huey on roads, half that on plains, 1 on everything else
they have 2 supply, of which helos can not resupply
there is three flavors
Ambulance
can be put into a fob or an outpost to make that tile a working hospital

Supply
will allow outpost to get supplied every turn, or it can supply all hexes adjacent to it.

Repair
repairs all vehicles adjacent to it, or allows an fob or outpost to work a repair yard

you might be think "that sounds a little overpowered"

well you don't want to ever lose an m35, because when you do it is CAPTURED
and use as a mobile VC spawn point, that deploys one VC every turn
furthermore it is captured whenever the tile it is on is attacked, regardless of what the actual target was, this means if you have 3 m35s in fob and its attacked by a vc, even in the vc dies YOU LOSE ALL THE TRUCKS.

Playing as the NVA/VC

its been said before but here is my ideas for it

the H&M tab shows the US's H&M score lick before, but this time you want to lower it, lowing it gives you more renforcement points which you can use to deploy VCs

VCs can be deployed in a 5 hex diameter around every point on the ho chi minh trail
note: if we assume that my m35 idea is in this, its ability to deploy VC is INDEPENDENT from the reinforcement points but can only be deploy on the hexes adjacent to the m35

nva tanks and units are deployed on the hexs bordering cambodia, and are only deployed through special actions on right (replaces emergency supply run, bombing run, etc)
the numbers that showed to cool down now change to the number available which depends on the US's actions
the fire base is also here, of which you can only have two.

all the other properties would just follow the base games rules (VC always extract after they attempt their task, etc)

thats all I got for now

opinions are welcome

(reason for edit: spell fixes)
Last edited by dafrandle on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: some ideas I had while playing to add to the game

Post by zakblood »

well a good and well thought out wish list there, i'm sure the developers will reply, keep the comments coming and i'm glad you liked the game
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: some ideas I had while playing to add to the game

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Thanks some good ideas...

The extra turns and map sizes are already in the list and fairly high up :)

Strategic Bo,bing would be cool but I think the scale of the game is a little small for them.

OH -6 , along with PBR's are a popular request, would be cool to have 'Pink' teams..

Trucks were going to be in, in fact your mention of repairs/ambulance are already in the spec for the next iteration.

Thanks again

Return to “Vietnam '65”