My Thoughts on a Fantastic Game.

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
Parsons1994
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

My Thoughts on a Fantastic Game.

Post by Parsons1994 »

I have played Vietnam 65 for a few days and I think it's a totally fantastic game. Really enjoying the learning curve.

However I have a few thoughts for this game.

I love the idea of gaining awards and medals on my uniform although I would love a story behind this. Maybe make the training mission set in America and follow the story of a young LT and his subsequent story of development.

I have been enjoying this game although I find supplying units when I have a lot on ground tedious although fun. It would be great to use to use more advanced helicopters such as the chinook to carry more supply's than just the one supply. For example a Chinhook can carry more than a Huey.

I love the detail this game contain. I would love to deploy a few more units for example a medic that you can use to heal injured units (like engineers can repair a base). Maybe we could deploy medic units or create a forward medical base which can heal a unit instead of moving all the way back to base)

This may sound a little morbid but when my unit becomes injured there have been casualties inflicted and counts as a dead unit. I wondered if we could greate a system for getting the dead back to base which would increase U.S. support funds for recovering the dead and lose support for not recovering the dead (an odd idea).

I hate that units become destroyed when they run out of supplies. For example maybe aircraft would be destroyed but infantry units there would be survivors maybe this could create a gameplay option to recover survivors (if an aircraft is destroyed or damaged in combat you have to recover the survivors).

A final thought maybe we could include neutral units which are civilians which could provide objectives of supplying aid or supplies to. It would add another layer to the game being able to see civilians and increase the purpose of the hearts and mind mission and just create another layer of immersion.

I'm liking the difference that this game makes. Thanks for developing !!!
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: My Thoughts on a Fantastic Game.

Post by Igorputski »

is that all? Are you sure you didn't miss anything now?
Parsons1994

Post by Parsons1994 »

I should of added I think this is a fantastic game there is so much detail. I can understand the wishlist but when you have such a fantastic game as this.

Totally enjoying it sorry for the long post. Thank you !
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes there's a lot of depth, and you can see or enjoy it until after a few hours played, then after a few days you still find more
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Great feedback, original spec had two cargo bays in the chinook, will retook at it.

The medic is a good suggestion and was debated by the team, maybe with bigger maps that would be more relevant.

Have been working on the model to get a deeper conversation with the local population and resultant Intel , things like propaganda and interrogation, like the idea of actually having civilian units though...

Thanks again
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Vietnam65 wrote:The medic is a good suggestion and was debated by the team, maybe with bigger maps that would be more relevant.
Maybe a MASH with gameplay almost like Artillery: We have to buy it, it can't move and only be moved (by Chinook only?) to the FireBase, it has 4(?) 'ammo' to heal troops that we must bring from HQ, but still to use them we must pay the 200 PP...

HQ does not change, it has still the main built-in hospital with 'infinite' healing costing PP.
What could a MASH let in HQ could bring to the HQ healings? maybe we don't have to wait for the end of turn to heal: we can immediatly heal a just arrived unit, but it costs one of the 4 'heal ammo' of MASH, which are replenished in the end of turn when MASH is in the HQ..
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Right now no plans to include medic/MASH as it would unbalance the game if the player could just heal units at the front.

Not saying it will never happen, but maybe with bigger maps ..... :shock:

Return to “Vietnam '65”