iPad only one game at a time?

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

iPad only one game at a time?

Post by skoptic »

Am I missing something, or are you only able to play one game at a time in ipad with no save game management? Starting a new game deletes any existing game and there is only continue. I presume this is unique to iPad as someone mentioned save game naming as a request on PC (although that could have been the Hell forum and I'm confused ;)).

If so, my first request is for a save/recall game function :)
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: iPad only one game at a time?

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Request noted :)
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Thanks, it would be nice to try different tactical approaches / different difficulty levels without always having to play 45 turns or delete :)
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

True but also need to balance the whole ' undo' key debate, whereby every contact etc is replayed for a more favorable result, that's not in the spirit of this game :?
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Ok - but reducing some fairly standard single player functionality because some people might save every turn and replay, seems to be developing for the lowest common denominator? I appreciate the purist view, but damn we're all adults! If someone wants to cheat anyways, I'm not sure where that gets them apart from a slightly hollower personal victory, I don't see any detriment to other players or community?

Anyway, thanks for considering, I'll be playing either way :)
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Got it , thanks
RossG1028
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by RossG1028 »

I agree with you about preserving the integrity and the "spirit of the game", so to speak. I like the fact that there isn't a LOAD feature: only the save and continue, quit or uniform buttons! This makes the game much more intense and suspenseful, imho! It's like having a mandatory "hardcore" mode baked ino the app, and, as a result, makes victory that much sweeter. If you must, patch the iOS version with different skill levels that could add a LOAD button, etc.. But, then change the victory screen to reflect the skill level chosen to allow for the proper kudos when one wins on the current, default "hardcore" mode!

Great app, love it!! Nice work!!
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

:D
dafrandle

Post by dafrandle »

Vietnam65 wrote:True but also need to balance the whole ' undo' key debate, whereby every contact etc is replayed for a more favorable result, that's not in the spirit of this game :?
i'm going to jump into this conversation without fully reading it, be warned.

Two suggestions

if the undo key is for the ipad only to deal with putting something in the wrong place, rather then have the finger press do the action, it should select the tile that was pressed for the action, and then ask yes/no and if need be this could be disabled in the options

if the undo is for everything there is a very simple way to prevent such abuse (im stealing from unity of command) if a unit gets into combat you can undo, if not you can, and if that to free form, maybe you charge that unit one of its supply points to do a undo
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Long debate ....

Too many rules around a simple issue, any undo in this game is ,according to me (so forgive me), is not alligned with the core of this game, which involves detection and hidden AI ops.

Rather we fix the UI to minimise the incidence of incorrect orders... :shock:
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Vietnam65 wrote: undo feature is not alligned with the core of this game, which involves detection and hidden AI ops.
Rather we fix the UI to minimise the incidence of incorrect orders.
You're very right. So this game must have an excellent UI, not a just correct one.

Return to “Vietnam '65”