First impressions

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
tomchick
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: First impressions

Post by tomchick »

You've got a lot of interesting ideas, Sabartha. However, I think most of the stuff you're suggesting would constitute some serious feature creep. A lot of this game's appeal is its simplicity and focus.

HOWEVER, I'm so glad to see you mention these:
Sabratha wrote:- Option to turn on hex grid overlay. This would help me with placing bases in correct ranges from strategic location, right now this is hard to cacluclate at times.

- As a followup to the point above - have an option to turn on fog of war overlay, sometimes I want to be certain if my view range reaches that copse of tees or is it one hex beyond.
I'm really surprised there's no way to enable a hex overlay. That seems like such an obvious feature in a game like this. I'm really surprised it didn't occur to the developers.

-Tom
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

It did :shock:

Along with many other features, in fact the playable tutorial trumped it right close to the deadline 8)
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Vietnam65 wrote:It did :shock:

Along with many other features, in fact the playable tutorial trumped it right close to the deadline 8)
I'm glad taht it got released in time, I know that this can be a big issue that doesn't seem obvious unless you are actually working on the game.

I do however hope that development iwll not cease and that we will get some of the features (at least the more obvious and simple ones - named villages, hex grid, visual markers of which unit moved) through patches.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Working on it as we speak....
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Vietnam65 wrote:Working on it as we speak....
Wow. Cool to hear this, hat's off and all 8)
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Can't give too much away, JD will shout at me :oops:
jack54
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jack54 »

Vietnam65 wrote:Working on it as we speak....
:D

This game doesn't 'need' very much.... but with baby steps the sky's the limit. I personally haven't enjoyed anything as new and refreshing since "Qvadriga'.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

And we use flying chariots ... :)

Thanks for the support.
jack54

Re: naming bases also ...

Post by jack54 »

Sorry to be a pain but when we get the option to name units would it be possible to allow us to name our 'bases' Also! Thanks
oddible
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by oddible »

Some really great suggestions here but one of the things which really makes this game succeed is its simple elegance. There is really a lot of immersion and depth as well as nuanced tactical and strategic decision making to be had here with the few units and simple game play. Adding a bunch of units would likely amount to clutter unless they could really be justified in terms of solid game play decisions. What has been listed so far in this thread regarding additional units doesn't really sound like it is necessary and adds unnecessary complexity for few game play gains.

At present, I have yet to play a game with ARVN at all. Green Beret are so costly and scouting is so essential that I find it hard to justify the training time.
oddible
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by oddible »

Also, please no agent orange, it is already FAR too easy to clear jungle for LZs and roads. I can literally build a road to Hanoi in this game, it should be harder or more costly to build roads and clear jungle.
Last edited by oddible on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: naming bases also ...

jack54 wrote:Sorry to be a pain but when we get the option to name units would it be possible to allow us to name our 'bases' Also! Thanks
Can do I suppose, but guys please don't ask to name the LZ's as well ..... :roll:
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Agreed, no agent orange ....

In earlier tests the jungle could be cleared by an Airstrike, that also was taken out.... 8)

Return to “Vietnam '65”