Are people interested in updating the Tau mod?

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

hammerade
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Are people interested in updating the Tau mod?

Post by hammerade »

The Tau mod, while impressive, seems to have been abandoned long ago. I thought I could take the project up again and bring it more in line with lore and stats on the tabletop. I’ve listed changes I’d like to make below. Please tell me your experiences with the Tau mod, how balanced you thought it was, and if you would like to see the mod updated!

General:
-Add ‘jump’ move type for drones, Vespids, and all suits except riptides and broadsides. ‘jump’ move type can also be added to Stormboyz and Assault Marines. Jump units can move through buildings like infantry (though they are slowed slightly) but can move over water as if they could hover.
-Flamers and snipers have terror, pulse carbines don’t.

Infantry:
-All Tau infantry have worse melee accuracy, 30% instead of 50%.
-Pathfinders and cadre fire blades have spotting 5 since it’s impossible to represent markerlights any other way. Most other units will have mediocre spotting 2 so Pathfinders become very important.
-Fire warrior squads are smaller and cheaper. Devilfish are also cheaper and have smaller units.
-Kroot Carnivores have Terror in melee, to represent the disturbing sight of their cannibalism.

Battlesuits:
-Battlesuits can’t be put in transports.
-Stealthsuits and Broadsides move slightly slower.
-Crisis suits always have twinned weapons (there’s little reason to take two different weapons anyway). Flamers, Plasma rifles, missiles, burst cannons, and fusion blasters.
-Stealthsuits can take support systems.
-Suits have different Support System options:
Counterfire Defense System: Adds Support as it does now
Shield Generator: adds Defense as it does now
Gun Drones: adds +1 HP and the Drone Carbines
Shoulder Missiles: adds an extra missile attack
None: For when you are cheap
(maybe) Marker Drones: Changes spotting to 5
(maybe) Velocity Tracker: Makes all weapons anti-air

Drones:
-Drones are Fearless and generally better but have 0 spotting, meaning they can’t operate independently.
-Add Shield Drones-Very tough and cheap, but no attacks at all. They are there just to get in the way, much like Grots or Conscripts.

Flyers:
-Aircraft are faster and have better spotting. They have anti-air weapons to help them in dogfights. Ideally these changes should be applied to all aircraft, not just Tau aircraft.
-Add Barracuda (4strength, very fast, ion cannon, ion blasters, missile pod), Tiger Shark (2 strength, heavy burst cannons, sky spear missiles, ion blasters), Tiger Shark Titan Hunter (2 strength, heavy railguns, ion blasters, missiles)
Parallax
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017

Re: Are people interested in updating the Tau mod?

Post by Parallax »

Yes, would be very interesting. Something new is always something good :)
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Another race would be great for this game.
Richard
hammerade

Post by hammerade »

Do people use the big community update? Should I balance it for the community update or not?
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

1.11? I'm playing both, and i will play tau on any of them, but i think you should make it on vanilla, cause it's always bad idea to create mod for another "mod" if you want bigger player base :( Is it hard to "upgrade" mod from 1.10 to 1.11?
hammerade

Post by hammerade »

Other silly ideas for adjustments:
-make a hoof sound for Tau infantry and Rough Riders
-Tau unit strengths tend to be a multiple of 8 (or 4) rather than 10 (or 5) since Tau use a base 8 rather than base 10 number system
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

Any balancing would be welcome, please do.
it is a good day to die
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

Parallax wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am 1.11? I'm playing both, and i will play tau on any of them, but i think you should make it on vanilla, cause it's always bad idea to create mod for another "mod" if you want bigger player base :( Is it hard to "upgrade" mod from 1.10 to 1.11?
I have created new traits for units and weapons and to use the Community Version effectively, you should modify units and weapons according to new traits.
So, it isn't hard, but time consuming.
it is a good day to die

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”