Issues encountered (have played all 5 scenarios)

Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Issues encountered (have played all 5 scenarios)

Post by Kull »

This pertains specifically to the PC version (and Windows 7, if that matters):
******************************************************************************************

The game is fun....until you run into the serious issues. As others have noted, many of these are so obvious, one has to assume that NOBODY played all the scenarios (other than the first one) before releasing the game. Devs? Please fix these!!

1) "Global" bugs (some may be design features that can't be changed, but listed here anyway):
- You can't have multiple versions of Saved Games. Once you save, it overwrites the previous saves. Annoying but one could live with it except....
- Reloading a saved game restores all the minefields. At least they are visible, but it's really a pain to have to go and clear many of them out again.
- Your "troop funds" get a sizable jump when reloading a saved game. The game code seems to award the capture bonus funds for every city you own. So depending how many you captured prior to the save, it can be a huge number. Yes you don't HAVE to spend the extra $$, but who remembers what their funds were at the save? Really annoying.
- Reloading a saved game also resets the turn count. For example, turn 27 reloads as turn 1, but at the same stage of game play.
- The hex selection code for your units does not factor in KNOWN minefields. So be very careful when giving one of your units a long march near a minefield, because they may very well march right through it (blowing themselves up in the process). Annoying, but you can usually avoid this if you are careful.
- Sometimes when you supply units the function remains "stuck" on several units for several turns afterwards where the "cost" shows even when supply unit is not selected. There is no way to free it up, and you can't move it or fight with it. Sometimes it frees up at the start of a new turn, but not always. I've had several stay "stuck" for the entire scenario.
- Unit hits the beach (and can move inland), but the "landing craft" graphic does not go away. Looks ugly (if you have enough funds, send it on a suicide mission and replace it). The same thing happens every now and then to your Sherman tanks (the floating graphic does not change when it hits the beach).
- This next one is pretty close to game breaking. It is VERY EASY to hit the Menu tab (it's at the top of the screen and clicking a unit near it always triggers the Menu to drop), and sometimes hitting the "Resume" button or even the "Menu" tab itself (one or both is needed to make it go away) will ALSO trigger an end game result (usually when you have enough objectives to qualify for at least a "Marginal Victory"). There is no way to avoid this other than by NEVER hitting the Menu button, which is impossible. And once you trigger it, that's it, the scenario is over. HORRIBLE!!!!!!

2) Utah Beach: Can be played through to completion, although it's trickier than Omaha (not from degree of difficulty, but because of bugs):
- An air attack on the antitank unit in the hex to the bottom left of Ste Marie du Mort Town in the upper left of the map), it loses a few points and then doubles it's health points and a second (identical) unit appears in the same hex. Only one of them is real however, and it will take damage and can be destroyed. However a "ghost unit" remains on the map - looking real and blocking progress through it's hex - but it won't fight and can't be attacked. NOTE: In another game I captured the town with a flame thrower unit and used THAT to attack this unit. That did NOT result in the double unit/ghost unit problem, perhaps because it suffered severe damage and was driven into another hex.

3) Omaha Beach: I've played this through to completion a few times. No real problems other than some of the "globals" noted above.
- In one game, the Panzer Grenadier unit in Colleville Sur Mer could not be killed. It seemed to start at something like 20 points and although you can attack it down to about 10, the unit always recuperates the next turn. There is a workaround in which you can surround the town on six sides and make the unit surrender, but a "ghost unit" is still sitting there and you cannot send a unit directly into the town hex. Fortunately you can have troops march through the town and capture it that way. Might be related to using an air attack on it first (like the one described above).

4) Gold Beach: Have never been able to play this scenario all the way through (and neither has anyone else).
- Every other scenario has one "Main Objective" (capture all objectives within a certain time limit) and two "Optional" ones (usually pretty easy to achieve. But in this scenario all three are "Main". And since one of those requires "eliminating all opposing forces" AND since there are a few "unkillable" units, well, the scenario cannot be won. This is the ONE TIME when the "Marginal Victory Bug" (described earlier) is helpful, otherwise you would never be able to move on to the next scenario. Still....this is horrible.

5) Sword/Juno Beach: Theoretically it should be possible to complete this scenario, but the "Marginal Victory Bug" strikes every time I've tried.
- You cannot kill (or even attack) the artillery unit immediately to the right of the "Franceville" town objective (top of the map, near the beach). It makes conquering this town extremely painful since there is no way to stop it from firing at your troops when they attack the town. The only good news is that it does not fire on it's own, so you can ignore it after you finally conquer the town.
- Two units in Benouville (originally called this "Grenceville" by mistake): Have both Assault infantry and Nebelwerfer in Benouville

6) Cherbourg: Fantastic Scenario! It's worth dealing with the Gold & Sword/Juno issues to get here.
- The only bug is a Transport "ghost unit" in the mountains two hexes to the lower right of Octeville. It's completely harmless though as it has no zone of control and your troops will walk right through it (they can even occupy the same hex)
- I didn't get the complete victory because I forgot about the "APCR ability" (whatever that is) and it said I didn't liberate all the cities. Which is odd because I was pretty sure that I did. Thinking about this a bit more, when I captured the town in the upper right-most corner of the map, it did not produce the "capture glow" you normally get, so maybe there's something bugged with the code on that one. Unfortunately, there is no permanent visual indicator that shows the Allies have taken possession of a non-objective city.
Last edited by Kull on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klhbekool
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Issues encountered (have played all 5 scenarios)

Post by klhbekool »

Thanks Kull, I saved Gold Beach twice, so I will try to finish it with no saves or just one save. The game is fun. APCR means Armor Piercing Composite Rigid--it is a high velocity anti tank round that is lighter than the standard AP round it has a higher velocity and greater penetration at close range but it becomes less effective with range. In this the game the range to use APCR is one less than the standard range. Once again thanks for your help. I do hope the patch is out next month and a new Frontline game minus the bugs comes out--hoping for North Africa.
Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kull »

klhbekool wrote:Thanks Kull, I saved Gold Beach twice, so I will try to finish it with no saves or just one save. The game is fun. APCR means Armor Piercing Composite Rigid--it is a high velocity anti tank round that is lighter than the standard AP round it has a higher velocity and greater penetration at close range but it becomes less effective with range. In this the game the range to use APCR is one less than the standard range. Once again thanks for your help. I do hope the patch is out next month and a new Frontline game minus the bugs comes out--hoping for North Africa.
Thanks for the tip on APCR! As for saving, it has so many issues that I don't even bother. Just leave the game running minimized in the background until I have time to finish a scenario. Speaking of which I was FINALLY able to finish "Gold Beach", and the "Objectives" menu showed that all three were completed. Did not have a problem with un-killable units......I'm really starting to suspect that "Airstrikes" are the reason for many of the bugs. I never use them anymore.

Unfortunately, even though all objectives were achieved (all had the pink line strikethrough), the game did not give me the victory screen. I kept hitting end turn and eventually it was at turn 92 of 90, and it was obvious the game would just keep playing. Perhaps "saving" might have worked, but instead I chose to "Surrender" (which is ridiculous, obviously).

A couple other comments:
1) Just prior to unlocking the last part of the map, there is an antitank gun sitting next to a bridge. It can't be attacked, which I thought was a bug. Real annoying as you have to "run the gauntlet" to get past it (it WILL attack you), however when you capture the nearby "radio tower" and unlock the last portion of the map, the anti-tank gun can finally be attacked.

2) Also, for some reason the "partial victory bug" never happened in this game, perhaps because I was very careful to avoid the menu button until after I eliminated the last unit and captured the last city. Then once it became obvious the game wasn't going to award a victory the normal way, I kept clicking the menu hoping to trigger the bug, but no dice.
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello All,

Sorry that the bugs are still present. I know that the developers are aware of most of these issues and are working on a patch which will fix these. This should be out within the next month. I'll ensure that the developers have made a note of the issues you have listed here. Again, sorry that we have taken so long to get this out, but the developers are working on this.
Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kull »

JoeMiller wrote:Hello All,

Sorry that the bugs are still present. I know that the developers are aware of most of these issues and are working on a patch which will fix these. This should be out within the next month. I'll ensure that the developers have made a note of the issues you have listed here. Again, sorry that we have taken so long to get this out, but the developers are working on this.
Thanks Joe. It really is a very entertaining game, so it will be nice to see the issues resolved. I finally completed the Sword/Juno scenario over the weekend (so as of now, I was able to finish all 5) and spotted a few more issues. I'll try to post those later.
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello Kull,

Yes, the devs are looking at the forums, so if you do notice anything, especially anything new, then post it here and we'll add it to the reports.
Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kull »

JoeMiller wrote:Hello Kull,

Yes, the devs are looking at the forums, so if you do notice anything, especially anything new, then post it here and we'll add it to the reports.
Ask and ye shall receive:

1) Not a huge deal, but when you recruit a replacement engineer, it appears on the map and you can actually see the unit points count down from 10 to 8. Not a problem directly, but the max points for the unit are still 10 (all starting engineers are eight). In other words, when you rebuild it, it keeps going on up to 10 points (starting engineers can never be reinforced past eight).

2) Hopefully the problem with landing-craft-on-land is being fixed. One oddity is that even with the ugly pic, most units retain full functionality. But when it afflicts a Supply Unit? Sorry Charlie - no repair or supply capability.

3) Sword/Juno has a pair of double units. I previously reported the Assault Infantry (real)/Nebelwerfer (false) in Benouville but there is another further to the south, just to the Right of Cairon. This is a pillbox (false)/SfH18 Arty (real) combo. Particularly nasty because you cannot attack the artillery unit, although it hits you every turn. The only way to get rid of it is to completely surround the hex on all six sides to gain the surrender. After that, the pillbox remains but mostly just takes up space and doesn't otherwise interfere (seems to have a ZOC, though).
56ajax
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by 56ajax »

I have also encountered most of the problems listed under this topic.

Questions

1. do you always have to start off on Utah or can you somehow choose another beach?
2. I assume there is a finite number of units i can have in the game?
3. Air strikes, a miss happens so rarely I am not sure if it is functionality or a bug.
4. German units should not be able to move through their own minefields without some penalty.

Cheers

John
dbaird521
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by dbaird521 »

Slithering,

I have been trying to play Frontline: The Longest Day but have been having serious issues with Sword/Juno Beach Scenario. I noticed that I am having the exact same issues that were reported by Kull back on 17 April 2015! Actually I have experience all the problems that Kull describes in his post throughout the game. Back on 27 April 2016, Joe Miller, of Slitherine replied that "the developers are aware of most of these issues and are working on a patch which will fix these. This should be out within the next month. I'll ensure that the developers have made a note of the issues you have listed here. Again, sorry that we have taken so long to get this out, but the developers are working on this."

Ummm...that was well over a year ago and the same issues are still present! Did the Slitherine developers actually get the message? Was anything actually done to correct the issues? Doesn't look like it...and it's August 2016! PLEASE get this fixed.

Issues I am currently having:

1. You cannot kill (or even attack) the artillery unit immediately to the right of the "Franceville" town objective (top of the map, near the beach). It makes conquering this town extremely painful since there is no way to stop it from firing at your troops when they attack the town. The only good news is that it does not fire on it's own, so you can ignore it after you finally conquer the town.

2. Two units in Benouville (originally called this "Grenceville" by mistake): Have both Assault infantry and Nebelwerfer in Benouville.

3. Reloading a saved game restores all the minefields. At least they are visible, but it's really a pain to have to go and clear many of them out again.

4. Sometimes when you supply units the function remains "stuck" on several units for several turns afterwards where the "cost" shows even when supply unit is not selected. There is no way to free it up, and you can't move it or fight with it. Sometimes it frees up at the start of a new turn, but not always. I've had several stay "stuck" for the entire scenario.

5. Unit hits the beach (and can move inland), but the "landing craft" graphic does not go away. Looks ugly (if you have enough funds, send it on a suicide mission and replace it). The same thing happens every now and then to your Sherman tanks (the floating graphic does not change when it hits the beach).

Return to “Tech Support”