Editing 3D models

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Editing 3D models

Post by Paul59 »

I am trying to add bows to the Dragoon 3D model (Dragoons_0.s3f), by adding in the relevant bows text from the Archers_0.s3f file.

It all works very nicely, and I have added the bow skin and mask to the Dragoons.dds file.

My only problem is that there are two extra bows each side of the unit, which looks a little odd. Obviously this is caused because the Archer model is slightly wider than the Dragoons. Does anyone know how to trim the number of bows down by amending the text in the .s3f model? I don't really want to use a 3d program to fix this, but I guess that might be the only way.

regards

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Editing 3D models

Post by rbodleyscott »

I suspect that it is the only way.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ubberdorc
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ubberdorc »

I know I am bringing an old thread from the dead...

"I am trying to add bows to the Dragoon 3D model (Dragoons_0.s3f), by adding in the relevant bows text from the Archers_0.s3f file"

Am I reading that if I had access to the s3f files I can add the 3d model "attachment" to the 3d model by adding additional "text" like we do for sounds?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Ubberdorc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 pm I know I am bringing an old thread from the dead...

"I am trying to add bows to the Dragoon 3D model (Dragoons_0.s3f), by adding in the relevant bows text from the Archers_0.s3f file"

Am I reading that if I had access to the s3f files I can add the 3d model "attachment" to the 3d model by adding additional "text" like we do for sounds?
Yes, but the possibilities are extremely limited, and the text chunks are HUGE, and so very difficult to work with.

I successfully managed to do things like add battalion guns from one model to another, but a lot of things I could not achieve. Like the bows I tried to add to the dragoons in the first post, there were too many bows for the frontage of the unit, there were extra bows floating in the air either side. I also tried to add the shields from the Colunela model to the Rodeleros, but the shields were floating way in front of the unit, it looked terrible.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Ubberdorc
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ubberdorc »

Good information, thank you for the reply.
I am new to the game but I love modding games.

I noticed some mods just needed an alpha layer to fix bows so I was just exploring the way the game works.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Ubberdorc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 pm Good information, thank you for the reply.
I am new to the game but I love modding games.

I noticed some mods just needed an alpha layer to fix bows so I was just exploring the way the game works.
I don't think using an alpha layer would have solved the Dragoon archer problem, I have known about alpha layers for many years and I am sure I would have used it back then if it would have helped.

It might be worth exploring this method some more, using Notepad++ it might be a lot easier to work with the .s3f files. I did not know of Notepad++ three years ago when I was trying to mod these P&S models.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Ubberdorc
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ubberdorc »

I agree the alpha is not the issue with the dragoons - that was probably the width of the unit vs the width of the weapon "attachment" model.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Ubberdorc wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 am I agree the alpha is not the issue with the dragoons - that was probably the width of the unit vs the width of the weapon "attachment" model.
Yes, that was definitely the issue. You will only have success if the position of the part in the original model matches the position that you want it to have in the new model, if that makes any sense!

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Modders Corner”