Pike & Shot Battle Flag Graphics Pack Version 2

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Pike & Shot Battle Flag Graphics Pack Version 2

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Guys
Here is Version 2 of my Pike & Shot Battle Flag Graphics Pack. The number of mod sets has been increased to 7 and 12 different armies are now covered with new additions including the Burgundian army of Charles The Bold and 4 nw armies for the German Peasant's War of the 1520's.

The mod installation system has also been overhauled and improved at Adeber's suggestion which means the overall file size is down as well. You can download the mod form my Dropbox site here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/543 ... 0V%202.zip

Planned next time for version 3 " sideicon" files, some Asian, African & Balkan Armies.

Enjoy

Ian
Hoplite1963

Re: Pike & Shot Battle Flag Graphics Pack Version 2

Post by Hoplite1963 »

And now for some screen shots, first the pre Charles V Spanish starting flags
Attachments
The new early Spanish deployment flags.jpg
The new early Spanish deployment flags.jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 13149 times
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

and their "Uniticon" flags.
Attachments
The new early Spanish  Uniticon flags.jpg
The new early Spanish Uniticon flags.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 13149 times
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

And finally for now Hungarians line up for the battle of Mohacs
Attachments
Hungarians line up for the battle of Mohacs.jpg
Hungarians line up for the battle of Mohacs.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 13149 times
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

Wonderful work, thank you very much!

Ever thought about doing the flag of the Catholic League or Christian von Braunschweig's Leibfahne? :wink:

IC XC
NI KA
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Adebar

I certainly do have plans to cover the 30 Years War in more depth. Also been working on customised Sideicon files today. I will add these in for each and every graphics set in the mod when version 3 comes out, also looking to do some dedicated unit textures as well probably starting with Pre Charles V Spanish.

I have been working for some years on my ongoing REN II project for the HPS REN game so have a lot of images and sources to draw on. As I have done with the soon to be released Battle of Marciano scenario I am also very happy to do customised graphics for scenario designers on request.

Regards
Ian
nikdav
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by nikdav »

It would be fantastic a database folder with the SIDEICON of all the commanders for the various wars !
The first two from Adebar Stadtlohn battle :
Attachments
Christian von Braunschweig 1599_1626.jpg
Christian von Braunschweig 1599_1626.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 13055 times
Johann Tserclaes Graf von Tilly 1559_1632.jpg
Johann Tserclaes Graf von Tilly 1559_1632.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 13055 times
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

I'm planning to do a whole series of leader portraits/sideicons and unit skins for several custom scenarios. I'm going to publish the stuff here in the forum.

It's a great game - so let's work together to make it even better! :wink:

Hoplite1963:

I know your and Philippe at Bay's mods for the HPS games for several years now. Fine work! Tiller's games fascinate and horrify me at the same time, and unfortunately I never could accustom myself to them. I'm quite happy that P&S is more approachable in several ways. Looking forward to future versions of this mod for sure.

IC XC
NI KA
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

What is the better method to mod a dds files, i try paint.net but with ugly result.
I find the portraits for Marciano but now how convert a jpeg to dds file :?:
Attachments
GianGiacomo Medici Marignano 1498_1555.jpg
GianGiacomo Medici Marignano 1498_1555.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 13038 times
Piero Strozzi 1510_1558.jpg
Piero Strozzi 1510_1558.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 13038 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Bear in mind that we cannot put mods or scenarios on the Sitherine FTP if they contain any non-Slitherine material which is copyright to anyone other than the scenario author. Images that claim to be public domain on Wikipedia Commons (which claim may sometimes be contestable) are probably OK if they have been significantly modified from the original image.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

nikdav wrote:What is the better method to mod a dds files, i try paint.net but with ugly result.
I find the portraits for Marciano but now how convert a jpeg to dds file :?:
You can convert JPGs, PNGs etc. simply by importing them into Paint.net and then exporting them as DDS files - it's very important to choose the setting "DXT3 (Explicite Alpha)".

I use Gimp for most of the work and Paint.net for the cut and paste job with the DDS files and import/export.

Regarding the copyright issue that Richard mentioned: Apart from choosing copyright-free images I alter the pictures significantly by (among other things) using a cartoon filter which makes them fit a bit to the vanilla artwork style.

IC XC
NI KA
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Thanks, Adebar and Richard !
Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Philippeatbay »

It is worth noting that the images of the generals in this thread are modifications of artwork that is several hundred years old. Anything significantly more than a century old is well within the definition of public domain (even by the internationally questionable U.S. statutes), so even if it were not modified (which it has to be since the original images aren't oval-shaped, not to mention the filters that have probably been used on them), using portions of old images well outside the copyright period will not get Slitherine into trouble.

What probably would get them into trouble is if you started mounting those images on mugs and tee-shirts which you then sold. Having said that, the only images that are iconic enough to warrant the Mona Lisa-on-a-coffee mug legal issue are the Van Dyke portrait of Charles I and the Velasquez portrait of Spinola from the Surrender of Breda. Even so, these are details of the originals rather than full representations of the originals themselves. There's a company in New York that keeps track of which images will cause a problem if they get the Mona Lisa mass-marketing treatment.

Short answer: ask the guy who made each scenario if it's ok with him to mod his scenario with the images, and don't start selling tee-shirts.

Please note that I am not an intellectual property lawyer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The problem is that museums and galleries may assert copyright over photographs of the painting, however old the original painting may be. For example, the British Museum asserts copyright over photographs of the Royal Standard of Ur despite the original artist having been dead for about 4,000 years.
Richard Bodley Scott

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

That's why you check with one of the companies I alluded to in New York before you do anything commercial.

In any case, if you're only taking a detail of the original image and then modifying it, it's going to be fairly hard to demonstrate that you're modifying one of the museum's own images. It could always have come from a tourist shot.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Guys
Thanks to Adbar's help now managed to make circular Sideicons that work in the game. Here is a very primitive prototype one of Gonzalo de Córdoba to command the Pre Charles V Spanish & Neapolitan forces at the battle of Seminara. The one that ships with version 3 of my "Battle Flag Graphics Pack" will look rather different.

Glad we have some modding action getting going here.

Regards
Ian
Attachments
Circular Sideicon.jpg
Circular Sideicon.jpg (145.72 KiB) Viewed 12976 times
edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

I am trying to understand the connection between the side numbers and the flags. For example using side 3 (Catholic) will give an Austrian flag on all units.
I took a large Prussian Flag, reduced it a 64 x 64 jpg, converted jpg to dds, changed name to ARMYFLAG2 ( I am using side 2 for Prussians) and put it into Textures in the customised scenario file. Running the scenario the static overhead flag that all units have did not change. It remained the standard side 2 flag. Help please.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote:I am trying to understand the connection between the side numbers and the flags. For example using side 3 (Catholic) will give an Austrian flag on all units.
I took a large Prussian Flag, reduced it a 64 x 64 jpg, converted jpg to dds, changed name to ARMYFLAG2 ( I am using side 2 for Prussians) and put it into Textures in the customised scenario file. Running the scenario the static overhead flag that all units have did not change. It remained the standard side 2 flag. Help please.
Hi Edward,

The battlefield flags are determined by the UnitIcons.dds files. The ArmyFlag.dds (and Flag.dds) determines the flags used on the campaign screen.

Cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks Paul. Is it ok to edit and save the UnitIcons.dds files with Paint.Net or would I need some other software ?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote:Thanks Paul. Is it ok to edit and save the UnitIcons.dds files with Paint.Net or would I need some other software ?
I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience of using Paint.Net myself. I am still learning new tricks with my old Paint Shop Pro, and I can't be bothered to learn a new program! I guess it will be Ok, there is nothing special about the UnitIcons.dds file, it seems to be the same format as all the other .dds files that are in the game.

Maybe the other modders have more of an idea?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Modders Corner”