Montrose's Battles

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Montrose's Battles

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Anyone looking at modding Montrose's battles?
Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Montrose's Battles

Post by Philippeatbay »

Jamie Graham is one of my favorite captains from history -- looking forward to see how you make his battles play out with the Pike and Shot engine.
macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

I, for one, would also like to see Killiekrankie...
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

IMHO P&S is best at reproducing largeish scale battles - just a figure plucked out of the air, but say 10,000 combatants a side. Not a criticism, that's what it's designed for. The smaller the units get the less differential in their firepower, quite often down to no effect at all, and the more fragile they become in melee, so the random factor is all important. Great general that he was, Montrose's battles tend to fall into this category, If his key shock unit is a 125-strong 'regiment' of Alistair's Irish, even as Elite, musket armed, Salvo, Impact Foot, they're not going to - pardon the pun - have much impact. Ditto the handful of horse he usually fielded: 35 Gordon's Horse are hardly worth showing as a unit. For my Little Big Horn scenario, perhaps 3,000 natives vs Custer's 650 troopers and scouts, I had to give up and say that 10 men in the game = 1 in reality, or it just didn't work. I fear that would be the only way to cover many of Montrose's victories.

Return to “Modders Corner”