Period Music

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Period Music

Post by Philippeatbay »

This mod replaces the ingame music with (mostly) 17th century music.

There are two versions of the mod, Steam and non-Steam, and they aren't interchangeable (so don't try).

Unzip the mod to a safe place and read the attached installation instructions.

Pike and Shot Campaigns:

Regular (non-Steam):

https://app.box.com/s/wj6bv9fyyd61z0grlfiam3ovjynnaj2b

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5ai3bv354zcf ... 3.zip?dl=0

Steam:

https://app.box.com/s/t7er8kmlnjnujfkq1eu7wpogyligl2t5

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4zp78szgzvgp ... 9.zip?dl=0

Pike and Shot:

(This is only for those who have the older version of the game).

Regular (non-Steam):

https://app.box.com/s/014d44cyytb5iq88azlf93umrtg3834d

Steam:

https://app.box.com/s/tw34wlh430og09f5yulx1b71cggmsjrb

(The mod for the older version of the game is also an older version of the mod).

The Period Music mod should be compatible with other sound mods, but to hear it you'll need to install it after the other mod.

I sometimes run out of bandwidth towards the end of the month in my Box account, so if that happens, use the second link (the link to Dropbox) and try again.

The Campaigns Period Music mod now contains two different mods which will overwrite each other if you're not careful.

When you unzip the mod you will see two folders: one called Steam and one called Late 17th century music mod. Install the regular one first. If at some point you want to play a late 17th century scenario (like the battle of Fleurus or the battle of the Boyne), look inside the 17th century music mod folder and you'll find another Steam folder. That one will overwrite the early 17th century music from the regular mod, so you need to keep copies of both to be able to switch back and forth. You don't want to play a late 16th century scenario with late 17th century music playing in the background any more than you would want to play a late 17th century scenario with early 17th century music in the background.

So I've expanded the mod and uploaded the new version to my box account. I will eventually update my dropbox as well, but a quick word of explanation is in order.

As it stands now, if you play a user-made scenario, you'll get the standard background music from the game, regardless of what period is involved.

There were no canned scenarios with Le Roi Soleil expansion, but since it has come out there have been many interesting user-made scenarios set in that period.

What I've done is to make a second version of the Period Music Mod that overwrites the standard music in the game. That mod is in its own separate folder to keep chaos from breaking out.

The upside is that you can now fight the battle of Fleurus with late 17th century music playing in the background. The downside is that you will have to re-install the basic mod if you want to have music from any other period playing in the background.

The two mods are currently packaged together so you can switch back and forth between the mods (regular and late 17th century). If you install the regular mod first (which you should), you will still get Renaissance music playing during canned Italian War scenarios.

My current approach is not cast in stone, and I intend to modify it depending on how confused people get.

Keep watching this space, and give a shout if you can't figure out how to switch back and forth between the mods.
Last edited by Philippeatbay on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Period Music

Post by Adebar »

Thank you, Philippe!

Great to see (better: to hear) that the victory and defeat music can be activated. Didn't knew that this is possible. Must try it out ASAP. :)

IC XC
NI KA
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've just run a test on the sound mod and the Steam version isn't playing the victory/defeat music.

I'm looking into the problem, but for now I would suggest using the non-Steam version where everything works as it should.

Just a guess, but the problem may be that there is something stuck up in the Steam cloud that makes the game revert to the old pre-mod Music text file (that contains the command lines).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Philippe_at_bay wrote:I've just run a test on the sound mod and the Steam version isn't playing the victory/defeat music.
Are you aware that the STEAM version installs into an entirely different folder, so won't read the modded System.txt file in your main installation?
Richard Bodley Scott

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Perhaps not.

Not quite sure what you're saying. The Steam Pike and Shot (with an ampersand) path is slightly different from the Slitherine Pike and Shot (without an ampersand) path.

The other difference that I've noticed is that the Steam version doesn't use the two saws files. [Not sure what a saws file is or what it does].

What's odd is that most of the music from the mod plays as it should, just not the victory/defeat music.

This mod does NOT use any kind of modding folder, if that's what you're talking about.

I believe I have two completely separate parallel installations (though Matrix games seem to have some peculiar quirks).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Philippe_at_bay wrote:Perhaps not.

Not quite sure what you're saying. The Steam Pike and Shot (with an ampersand) path is slightly different from the Slitherine Pike and Shot (without an ampersand) path.
The Slitherine path (for the system.txt file) is (on my machine at least):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Pike and Shot\Config\system.txt

The STEAM path is (on my machine):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pike & Shot\Config\system.txt

If you put the win/lose line in that I cannot explain why it does not work.

Ignore the saws files, they are to do with internal version control and are not used by the game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Many thanks for your help. The problem is now corrected.

A textfile that was present on my computer got left out of the uploaded mod. I didn't notice because everything was in order on my non-steam installation so everything seemed to be working properly. An object lesson in how bugs find their way into games. Just because it works on your machine doesn't mean it will work on anyone else's.

The regular and Steam versions of the mod have now been updated to version 1.1 and can be downloaded by clicking on the links in the first post.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've added links to the Steam and non-Steam versions of the Period Music mod adjusted to work in Pike and Shot Campaigns. For the links, look at the first post in this thread.

The paths are slightly different from the Pike and Shot mod, and I wouldn't want to find out what happens if you were to try to use the wrong configuration file in Pike and Shot Campaigns because it effects a lot more fundamental things than whether or not the victory music plays. Hence the need for a new version.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

How can I activate win lose music?
Also, can we have multiple songs (random playlist)?
And can music be specific for a mod / scenario instead of changing it for the whole game?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:How can I activate win lose music?
See: https://sites.google.com/site/battleaca ... llfeatures

Win/Lose Music

Was not being used. New SYSTEM.TXT file tag USEWINLOSEMUSIC now controls. Set to != 0 to cause the game to play the music when on the results screen post battle.

Also, can we have multiple songs (random playlist)?
Yes. See: https://sites.google.com/site/battleaca ... llfeatures

Music

It is now possible to have music chosen randomly from a set of music files, rather than looping a single one. To do this you need only name the music file(s) sequentially from 0 upwards, e.g.

Song0.mp3
Song1.mp3
Song9.mp3

Only values [0,9] are allowed, for a max of 10 different songs per track. Once set up like this, rather than a single song looping the game will select a random song, play it, then select another random song.

And can music be specific for a mod / scenario instead of changing it for the whole game?
It appears so.

See: http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine

The Custom Campaign Folder Layout at the end includes music.txt.
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Cool!
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

rbodleyscott wrote:

Win/Lose Music

Was not being used. New SYSTEM.TXT file tag USEWINLOSEMUSIC now controls. Set to != 0 to cause the game to play the music when on the results screen post battle.

The line is not in system.txt.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

Win/Lose Music

The line is not in system.txt.
That is why it doesn't play. Add the line and it should.
Richard Bodley Scott

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Due to an oversight, the installation instructions were left out of the last round of updates. That has now been corrected.

Links to download the Slitherine and Steam versions of the mod (for Pike and Shot as well as Pike and Shot Campaigns) can be found in the first post of this thread.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

My box accounts are about to run out of bandwidth if they haven't already.

Box is supposed to refresh the bandwidth at the start of each month, but because I have a free account it's not high on their list of priorities.

If you try to download the music mod and nothing happens, it's not because the link doesn't work, it's because I'm out of bandwidth.

I'll continue to rattle Box's cage, but if you wait until about the middle of the month (or even a bit before), downloads should be working properly.

I've made a fair number of mods and they all use my Box account. My total overhaul Napoleonic mods aren't small, hence the shortage of bandwidth.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've uploaded the mod to Dropbox and added a second set of links to the first post in this thread.

So now if I run out of bandwidth in my Box account, you can still download the mod from Dropbox.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've just expanded the mod so that it plays early Renaissance music in scenarios from the Italian Wars section.

And at some point in the near future I'll add music tailored to the late 16th century at the very least (the period the game covers in the Tercio to Salvo scenarios).

I haven't figured out how to extend this to user-made scenarios, and based on Richard and Pip's comments it probably isn't possible short of changing all of the music in the game.

That's not optimal, but it's not off the table.

I've updated the links in the first post of this thread to point at the new files.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

The Campaigns Period Music mod now contains two different mods which will overwrite each other if you're not careful.

When you unzip the mod you will see two folders: one called Steam and one called Late 17th century music mod. Install the regular one first. If at some point you want to play a late 17th century scenario (like the battle of Fleurus or the battle of the Boyne), look inside the 17th century music mod folder and you'll find another Steam folder. That one will overwrite the early 17th century music from the regular mod, so you need to keep copies of both to be able to switch back and forth. You don't want to play a late 16th century scenario with late 17th century music playing in the background any more than you would want to play a late 17th century scenario with early 17th century music in the background.

So I've expanded the mod and uploaded the new version to my box account. I will eventually update my dropbox as well, but a quick word of explanation is in order.

As it stands now, if you play a user-made scenario, you'll get the standard background music from the game, regardless of what period is involved.

There were no canned scenarios with Le Roi Soleil expansion, but since it has come out there have been many interesting user-made scenarios set in that period.

What I've done is to make a second version of Period Music Mod that overwrites the standard music in the game. That mod is in its own separate folder to keep chaos from breaking out.

The upside is that you can now fight the battle of Fleurus with late 17th century music playing in the background. The downside is that you will have to re-install the basic mod if you want to have music from any other period playing in the background.

The two mods are currently packaged together so you can switch back and forth between the mods (regular and late 17th century). If you install the regular mod first (which you should), you will still get Renaissance music playing during canned Italian War scenarios.

My current approach is not cast in stone, and I intend to modify it depending on how confused people get.

Keep watching this space, and give a shout if you can't figure out how to switch back and forth between the mods.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Sorry Phillipe, I have only just noticed your updated Music Mod, it sounds very good. I heartily recommend it to anyone using my Nine Years War scenarios.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Paul59 wrote: my Nine Years War scenarios.
Which are a remarkable addition to the game btw. Map design and OoB/unit texture work is also excellent IMO. Looking forward to your future projects!

IC XC
NI KA

Return to “Modders Corner”