RELEASED! Yari & Teppo (the Pike & Shot Japanese mod)

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: RELEASED! Yari & Teppo (the Pike & Shot Japanese mod)

Post by jomni »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Paul59 wrote:Hi Jomni,

This looks very exciting! I am intrigued about the screenshots, the terrain has a very colourless look, is this a winter terrain set?
No, it is based on Japanese battle painting styles.
To elaborate more, Japanese and even Chinese paintings leave a lot of the paper bare. They only paint the key features and objects. So the basic terrain tile is bare paper which represents any type of open ground. It can be appropriately used for snow or even desert landscapes in addition to grass.
Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

For those players who prefer a more conventional approach to depicting terrain some or all of the time will there be the ability to swap to a more conventional terrain set built into the game?
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Hoplite1963 wrote:For those players who prefer a more conventional approach to depicting terrain some or all of the time will there be the ability to swap to a more conventional terrain set built into the game?
Most are just repainted P&S tiles. There are some new tiles. It would be very easy to mod.
stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers »

Would it not be possible to include a button giving players the choice of “Japanese Style background” or the more conventional colours ? Actually I also thought looking at the screnshots these depicted winter scenes and for me they look quite drab, maybe it would "grow on you" But my first impression the background looked quite dismal, with little appeal, but that's just me. If the tiles are so easy to do could you not think about seasonal effects not only colours but more muddy terrain which would restrict movement ?
Anyway best of luck with the game.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Had the same reaction when the artist came up with the tiles. But I have since gotten used to it.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I am not sure about the look of this terrain, maybe it might grow on me, but at the moment it looks a bit odd to me. I have looked up a few Japanese battle paintings and I know what you mean, but several do have a hint of grass or grassy hills in the distance.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Maybe build something like "jsgme" (a file swap mod program) into the game and have it activated via a extra click bar in the "Advanced Options" menu below "Compass: On" or whatever the last bar is going to be in this game at the moment. Perhaps a toggle between "Artistic Terrain Tiles" & "Conventional Terrain Tiles" would fit the bill?

Really looking forward to this one in any event. :D
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

From what I can see in those few screenshots (would love to see more!) I really like the look of terrain, it's something new, different as we are used to.

I would also like to see the black & white terrain for P&S, as it was originally intended according to Richard, as an alternative texture set for Campaigns. :wink:

IC XC
NI KA

Return to “Modders Corner”