12 SCREENS

Post your Technical Support questions here. Requires forum registration.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

JReiner
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

12 SCREENS

Post by JReiner »

Why is it that after the intro videos run fine, I get 12 screens (4 across by 3 down) with:
1) The code V 0.0120 : 1513" in the upper left corner of each screen on a marbelized background briefly, then
2) A wrench icon in the upper left corner then the word "Latins" to the right with a picture of a brown-hairedperson in a tunic holding a spear underneath it?
The music always plays, but otherwise the game is unplayable from that point.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Can you please provide the details of your system, OS, etc. I am moving this thread into the tech support area.

Cheers

Pip
judgem

Post by judgem »

I am suffering this same problem on this game and on Legion Arena (which is basically the same program).
I am operating Vista Home Premium with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processors, 2048 MB Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM and 512MB GEFORCE 7900GS graphics card.
I haven't cahnged my setup since last successfully running both games.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would guess you have changed/updated your drivers though? I am going to try and investigate this issue a little more, but for now you can try rolling back to an earlier driver version to allow the game to run correctly.

Cheers

Pip
judgem

Post by judgem »

Have rolled back GEFORCE driver from version 7.15.11.8122 (14/1/2009) to 7.15.11.7813 (17/9/2008) - am pretty certain that I have successfully played the game after 17/9/2008.
Even with the rolled back version I still experience the same problem.
I can still play Legion, Chariots of War and Gates of Troy with the new version - why do you think it is a driver problem?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds as if the game is running fine, but that it is not correctly drawing the final image to the screen (GBoR uses an approach which is somewhat odd to allow it to deal with forced antialiasing). The problem is almost certainly a driver error given your symptoms that it used to work, and now it does not.

Are you sure the driver rollback worked? If so, then you might need to try an even earlier driver to see if that helps. I guess it might also be a Vista update which could cause the issue (all the instances I have seen so far seem to be on Vista machines with older nVidia chipsets (6xxx and 7xxx) but it seems far less likely.

Can you double check that there are no settings set in the nVidia Control Panel which are not set to Application Controlled (or something similar).

Cheers

Pip
judgem

Post by judgem »

Have back tracked to driver version 7.15.11.6369 (11/9/2007) before both games would show correctly. Obviously it is best to have the latest version operating on a system - is there any chance of forwarding a patch to allow this?

I still don't really understand why Legion, Chariots of War and Gates of Troy work with the latest version but GBoR and Legion Arena do not. Can you explain?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We do everythign we can to help but this is a driver issue and we can't go back to games that are 4 years old and change our code to try and work around a driver bug in a driver that may change next week :)

If you really want to fix it you need to contact your card manufacturer and get them to fix their driver bug :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

To answer your question as to why Legion et al work, it is because they are games which use DirectX 7, rather than the DirectX 9 interface that GBoR/Arena do.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL Great Battles of Rome : Tech Support”