tutorial issues

Post your Technical Support questions here. Requires forum registration.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

ppks007
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

tutorial issues

Post by ppks007 »

Don't know if its me or something is wrong with the game.

I am on the 1st level and I am on the battfield screen where it asked you to choose your general and he is nowhere to be found. He is an icon at the upper left but he is not on the battle map. Am I missing something or do I have to do something else. It is it is the fifth step in the tutorial. Please Help. Thank you in advance
ppks007

Post by ppks007 »

So glad I posted, I have yet to hear back from tech support. Guess, I wasted 30 bucks on this game.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

IIRC correctly, the general is on the left hand side of the screen. He should be pulsing to get your attention.

If you cannot see him at all (which is very odd) then I would try doing a reinstall, in case something has gotten corrupted. It would have to be fairly specific for the rest of the game to work, though.

You can also exit the tutorial using the X at the top right of the tutorial text box and just continue on.

If you are still having issues, then if you could post a screenshot of the point where things aren't working, that would help us.

Cheers

Pip
ppks007

Post by ppks007 »

Tried everything you suggested and the general is still nowhere to be found so I just started the game and as soon as the cliff scene is started the game crashes. Any suggestions?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is very odd. A single unit is failing to appear/work. Can you try installing the game on another machine, to try and rule out there being something wrong with the disk.

Which version of the game do you have? That is, what is the publisher listed on the box.

Cheers

Pip
ppks007

Post by ppks007 »

Don't have another machine to attempt to load it on. I can uninstall then reinstall again I suppose. As far as publisher it says 2007cdv sofware entertainment USA and then 2007 Slitherine. If you need more info just let me know as I would really like to play this game.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It does sound as if some files are missing from the install - i.e. the generals models/textures. If you didn't get any warning messages during installation that is very odd. If you can try uninstalling and reinstalling that woudl be great. If that does not helpo let us know and we'll see what else we can try to fix it.
Agnewkid

Post by Agnewkid »

iainmcneil wrote:It does sound as if some files are missing from the install - i.e. the generals models/textures. If you didn't get any warning messages during installation that is very odd.

Hmmmmm might not be so Odd!

I also have the same problem with my install. I have tried to install several times and still have the same problem. I was finally able to find the general he was a little pixel between the last unit and the left edge of the battle field. I was able to move the unit (never saw his avatar only the square he was on) and set up the last unit. After that the game crashed.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

What are the specs of the machine you are running on? You might try deleting the CACHE directory which is found in the install directory for the game, it should then try and rebuild it.

Cheers

Pip
Agnewkid

Post by Agnewkid »

here is my machine info:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/27/2009, 19:20:44

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VGN-FZ348E
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1384MB used, 4959MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Are all your drivers up to date? This seems to be a new problem so could be related to some Windows or driver update somewhere outside our control. Did you get any warning messages during installation? Have you got plenty of hard disk space free?
Agnewkid

Post by Agnewkid »

No problems with drivers with any of my other games. I find it interesting that every problem is something new (no matter how many time mentioned previously). It must cut down on the amount of code you have to fix.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes that is the problem - the bug is in your new drivers. Vista automatically updates your drivers. There is a bug in one of the new drivers released by Nvidia we think, but we're not sure.

The game was fine for 3 years and just recently this problem occured, so it is down to the new drivers. The code hasn't changed and it used to work and no doesn't so the code is not broken. Many older games have these issues.

This is not a bug we can fix - only the driver can fix it.

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL Great Battles of Rome : Tech Support”