Scenario design

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Scenario design

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Is it possible to put up a message during the scenario for either side on any turn without using the reinforcement method?
Yes.

Code: Select all

FUNCTION StartTurn(side)
{
	if (GetTurn() == 0)
		{
			ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_INTRO");
			AddVizDelay(30);
		}

if (GetTurn() == 2)
		{
			ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_TURN2");
			AddVizDelay(30);
		}

if (GetTurn() == 4)
		{
			ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_TURN4");
			AddVizDelay(30);
		}
If you want the message to only show for the show side you can surround it by a

if (GetShowSide() == GetCurrentSide())

condition

If so the AddVizDelay(30) needs to be outside that condition, otherwise there might be synch issues in MP.

e.g.

if (GetTurn() == 2)
      {
         if (GetShowSide() == GetCurrentSide())
             {
                ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_TURN2");
             }
          AddVizDelay(30);
      }
Note that string tags for use in BattlePop0 have to have the "_BP0TEXT" suffix in order to work.

So you put

ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_TURN4");

in the code, but the string tag must be defined in the text1.txt file as

IDS_SCN_BICOCCA_TURN4_BP0TEXT, "The Venetians on our right are at last ready to advance.",
Richard Bodley Scott

Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Odenathus »

It is, but involves quite clever scripting, which only RBS and a few others can do!
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I've finally finished my Jankow scenario. I lost interest for quite a while as I couldn't get the AI to behave as I wanted but I pushed the battle to a later stage and it now gives quite a decent game (the AI is beating me at the moment). I'm just trying to add the game graphics but struggling with SIDEICON file. To me in Paint.net the background for these two chaps look transparent but when I add them to the scenario they have a black background. Can anyone help?

Hmm. Just tried to upload the images and it says "The extension dds is not allowed".

Thanks,
Chris
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi folks, I've finally finished my Jankow scenario. I lost interest for quite a while as I couldn't get the AI to behave as I wanted but I pushed the battle to a later stage and it now gives quite a decent game (the AI is beating me at the moment). I'm just trying to add the game graphics but struggling with SIDEICON file. To me in Paint.net the background for these two chaps look transparent but when I add them to the scenario they have a black background. Can anyone help?
You need to save them as DXT3 (Explicit Alpha)
Richard Bodley Scott

HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

That was an easy fix! Thanks so much.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (165.49 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, another couple of questions. Does anyone know why the scenario text appears so high up and the first line is partially obscured? Also I have a SIDEICON0 and a SIDEICON1 yet only the player's modded leader is displayed - the AI leader is still shown as the default.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (59.58 KiB) Viewed 6707 times
Thanks,
Chris
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi folks, another couple of questions. Does anyone know why the scenario text appears so high up and the first line is partially obscured? Also I have a SIDEICON0 and a SIDEICON1 yet only the player's modded leader is displayed - the AI leader is still shown as the default.
Capture1.JPG
Thanks,
Chris
Is this the campaign test or the scenario text?

For the campaign text you need to copy Campaign_Overlay.txt from one of the historical campaigns

e.g. /Campaigns/1ThirtyYearsWar/Data/UI/Campaign_Overlay.txt

to

Documents/My Games/PSCAMP/Campaigns/YourCampaign/Data/UI/Campaign_Overlay.txt

For the scenario text, see

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=62582
Richard Bodley Scott

HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks!
edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Richard, I put the question earlier about putting out a message on any turn for either side, then used your answer. The objective here is to get Team 5 to reinforce Team 0 if the Players unit are close and then inform the player as to what has happened.
Here is the code.

team = 0;    // Inf Ramillies        
                     If (AI_GetClosestDistanceToClosestEnemyUnit(side, team, 0) <= 4)
                        {
                            ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_RAMILLIESV2_2");
                            AddVizDelay(30);
                           MoveTeamCoord(1, 5, 40, 55, 8);     // If Enemy close Team 5 reinforces Ramillies
                           MoveTeamCoord(1, team, -1, -1, 8);  // Team 0 responds
                       }
I also put the string IDS_SCN_RAMILLESV2_2_BP0TEXT, "The French are reinforcing Ramillies.", in the text1.txt file

Two problems. Firstly I suspect a general message just like a reinforcement message doesn`t work for the AI
Secondly team 5 seems to jump the gun even though they are not close and there are no other commands to move them.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Subject to a bit more testing I will shortly be releasing my second version of Ramillies 1706. This has come about after seeing two new sources (for me anyway).
Firstly, Jeff Berry's excellent Obscure Battles site which is one of the best I have encountered for creative wargamers. For each battle on the site he provides a comprehensive wealth of information on OOBs, unit types, locations, flags and colours along with a highly detailed map.
Secondly the book 'Ramillies' by Niel Litten which gives a clear account of the battleground and the developments during the battle. Both sources clearly demonstrate that my first version was pretty poor on several counts as well as being easy to win.
The map, the OOBs and unit dispositions are hopefully much more accurate whilst the French defence/counter attack is now much more conditional on Allied movement. Because of the 64 unit limit the scenario will be set up at a Brigade level with approximately 2-3 battalions or 5-6 squadrons as the base units. Having now mastered Paint.net I have also customised all the unit and VP flags.
Here are few pictures at set up.
The 1st shows the French defence of Ramillies, the 2nd shows the Danish part of the LW Allied Cavalry and the 3rd some of the Allied Infantry facing Ramillies
Bavarian, Irish & French Inf in Ramillies.jpg
Bavarian, Irish & French Inf in Ramillies.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Danish Cav & Holstein -Gottrop Dragoon.jpg
Danish Cav & Holstein -Gottrop Dragoon.jpg (73.23 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
English & Hanoverian Inf.jpg
English & Hanoverian Inf.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
I hope that this time it will be a much greater challenge. edward77
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cool
Richard Bodley Scott

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Nice work,thank you.
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

Very nice! Those beautiful new flags add much to the immersion. Looking forward to the new version!

IC XC
NI KA
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks guys. Any answers for my " battlepop0 question."
Richard, I no longer receive the automatic e-mail response about replies on the forum.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Richard, I put the question earlier about putting out a message on any turn for either side, then used your answer. The objective here is to get Team 5 to reinforce Team 0 if the Players unit are close and then inform the player as to what has happened.
Here is the code.

team = 0;    // Inf Ramillies        
                     If (AI_GetClosestDistanceToClosestEnemyUnit(side, team, 0) <= 4)
                        {
                            ShowUIScreen("BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCN_RAMILLIESV2_2");
                            AddVizDelay(30);
                           MoveTeamCoord(1, 5, 40, 55, 8);     // If Enemy close Team 5 reinforces Ramillies
                           MoveTeamCoord(1, team, -1, -1, 8);  // Team 0 responds
                       }
I also put the string IDS_SCN_RAMILLESV2_2_BP0TEXT, "The French are reinforcing Ramillies.", in the text1.txt file

Two problems. Firstly I suspect a general message just like a reinforcement message doesn`t work for the AI
Secondly team 5 seems to jump the gun even though they are not close and there are no other commands to move them.
It is probably best to email me the whole scenario to look at (and not just the scenario script). I can't really tell what is going on from a snippet of code.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Scenario Design”