Scenario design

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Scenario design

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I thought I might try my hand at making a scenario. I have made scenarios for AGEOD's Wars in America and John Tiller's Campaign Series but I am a complete novice here. After a quick look for possible scenarios to make I came up with the list below. I don't think any of these have been made already? If anyone is planning to make any of these please let me know and I will avoid them. Are the Austrian War of Succession scenarios a little late? Would new models be needed? I see there is a Fontenoy scenario but not much else from that period - and no scenarios from the Seven Years War which surprises me as there is a lot of detailed information easily available. Any plans by anyone to cover the Seven Years War?

1644: Battle of Freiburg
1645: Battle of Jankau
1645: Battle of Herbsthausen (Mergentheim)
1645: Battle of Allerheim (2nd Nördlingen)
1659: Battle of Konotop
1674: Battle of Sinsheim
1675: Battle of Fehrbellin
1675: Battle of Konzer Brücke (Consaarbrück)
1704: Battle of Schellenberg
1707: Battle of Almansa
1708: Battle of Lesnaya
1709: Battle of La Gudina
1710: Battle of Almenar
1710: Battle of Saragossa
1710: Battle of Villaviciosa
1715 Battle of Sheriffmuir
1741: Battle of Mollwitz
1742: Battle of Chotusitz
1743: Battle of Dettingen
1745: Battle of Hohenfriedberg
1745: Battle of Soor
1745: Battle of Kesselsdorf
1746: Battle of Rocoux
1747: The Battle of Lauffeld

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by HobbesACW on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Scenario design

Post by Paul59 »

Hi Chris,

I am currently working my way through the whole of the GNW, Holowczyn was my last released GNW scenario. I have just finished Lesnaya, and am currently play testing it.

I'm not sure what I will do after completing the GNW, the WSS and SYW are possibilities. The Seven Years War has always been a favourite of mine. But I really don't know, I guess I will see how I feel when the time comes, and what interests me. I am very excited for the new game, the ancient period is also something that has always interested me, and I might well want to concentrate on that for a while when it comes out.

However, I really don't see a problem in duplicating scenarios. There are currently two versions of Vienna 1683, and several of the stock scenarios have been redone by users; Pavia, Fornovo, Seminara, Lutzen etc.

regards

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi Paul, I know - I have been eagerly awaiting each new scenario! I'll pick something smallish and obscure for my first I think just to see how I get on. I don't want anything too complex yet. I would love to see some Seven Years War scenarios in the future.

Cheers,
Chris
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi folks, I thought I might try my hand at making a scenario. I have made scenarios for AGEOD's Wars in America and John Tiller's Campaign Series but I am a complete novice here. After a quick look for possible scenarios to make I came up with the list below. I don't think any of these have been made already? If anyone is planning to make any of these please let me know and I will avoid them. Are the Austrian War of Succession scenarios a little late? Would new models be needed? I see there is a Fontenoy scenario but not much else from that period - and no scenarios from the Seven Years War which surprises me as there is a lot of detailed information easily available. Any plans by anyone to cover the Seven Years War?

1644: Battle of Freiburg
1645: Battle of Jankau
1645: Battle of Herbsthausen (Mergentheim)
1645: Battle of Allerheim (2nd Nördlingen)
1659: Battle of Konotop
1674: Battle of Sinsheim
1675: Battle of Fehrbellin
1675: Battle of Konzer Brücke (Consaarbrück)
1704: Battle of Schellenberg
1708: Battle of Lesnaya
1741: Battle of Mollwitz
1742: Battle of Chotusitz
1743: Battle of Dettingen
1745: Battle of Hohenfriedberg
1745: Battle of Soor
1745: Battle of Kesselsdorf
1746: Battle of Rocoux
1747: The Battle of Lauffeld

Thanks,
Chris
Hello my friend some of this scenarios i already made for my favorite game Peoples General. Maybe a look on my scenarios could help you for designing. You can find the scenarios inside the 30 years war and 7 years war mod. Just an idea. Download is here. www.peoplesgeneral.de
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Many thanks Micha!

Chris
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

No problem my friend. I"m always glad if i can
help.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Quite a nice site for scenario info:

http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/gnw.htm
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I think I'll try the Battle of Jankau for my first scenario.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

That's the map pretty much finished. Time to add the troops and give the scenario a few tests. I'm very impressed with the editor.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (173.03 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
Cheers,
Chris
edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Hi Chris, I have just submitted the Battle of Chotusitz 1742 to Richard using Odenathus`squads and flags and testing the Battle of Soor 1745. Also developing the Battle of Kesselsdorf 1745 but having difficulty with conversion to snow tiles which interfere with one another or undo previous work in adjacent areas of the map.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

P.S. I don't think this will be an easy game for the AI as the terrain is so difficult. Also it being my first scenario I have a lot to learn about that so any tips are very welcome.
The Swedish army start off around Chapel Hill and the Imperial forces strung out behind the main wood in front of them. It's really a meeting engagement. The sides are fairly well balanced though so it should make for a fairly decent multiplayer scenario. The Swedish are almost all mercenaries and apparently the salvo was pretty much out of favour at this point (1645). If I make a single player scenario I'm still not sure what side should be AI controlled. I think I will have my work cut out with the AI in this one.

Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by HobbesACW on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi Edward, glad to hear you are covering the Austrian War of Succession. I won't attempt any of those unless we chat first. There should really be a thread for scenarios in design or areas that people want to specialize in to prevent any duplication of effort (I suppose it's unlikely). But a thread to show what people are working on would be interesting at least. I've also had a few problems with the winter tiles when it comes to stream mouths. They seem to get lost if you place other terrain near them.
Also last night I lost my internet connection and couldn't load the game. Several errors appeared - had to give up. Is the Steam version supposed to work offline does anyone know?

Cheers,
Chris
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Chris, Which special tile set did you use for the map? Did you use them from the outset or did you go over the original tile set. I notice that the rivers/streams are normal, nor frozen.
Edward
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi Edward, I used them from the outset. I used the water tile for all water effects. I think there was only light snow and the lakes and streams were not heavily iced as far as I can find. (If anyone knows differently please let me know). I certainly didn't want to show ice firm enough for men and cavalry to walk on.

Cheers,
Chris
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Chris, Repeat. Which special tile set did you use for the map?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote:Chris, Repeat. Which special tile set did you use for the map?
I assume that Chris used Adebar's Four Seasons Terrain, see the thread in the Modders Corner;

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=72539

Specifically the Winter (Snow) terrain. I've used it for two of my scenarios; Narva and Fraustadt (heavily modified).

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

HobbesACW wrote:I've also had a few problems with the winter tiles when it comes to stream mouths. They seem to get lost if you place other terrain near them.
It might be that you have "Auto-Edging" turned on in the editor, try turning it off.

It is often useful to have it turned on, such as when you are laying down long lengths of road/track/streams. But when the terrain gets a bit complex it can do some silly things, that's when you have to turn it off and manually select the correct overlay that you need.

regards

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Yes that fixes the problem! Many thanks Paul. I shall now try to convert Battle of Leathen.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Yes Four Seasons. Thanks Paul that must be it!
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Is it possible to put up a message during the scenario for either side on any turn without using the reinforcement method?

Return to “Scenario Design”