Blenheim 1704?

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Blenheim 1704?

Post by Odenathus »

Hi, thinking of taking a crack at this battle, need to be pretty large and brigade/half-brigade size, terrain, OOBs and uniforms very freely available: just wanted to check and make sure that no one else is already working on (or thinking of working on) it? We've got a couple of duplicates already and I wouldn't want to tread on anyone's toes.

Do let me know if you're designing a scenario for this battle, I'm sure that I can find something else.

Cheers
Attachments
Designer.jpg
Designer.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
Warlord156
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Blenheim 1704?

Post by Warlord156 »

I would love to do it. But unfortunately I don't posses the skills (modding) to do it justice. Wish you well with it though, and look forward to the finished product. Good luck.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

I don't posses the skills (modding) to do it justice

That's never stopped old Odenathus before, as some have pointed out...
Attachments
NetanimcrapaudFS.jpg
NetanimcrapaudFS.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I will probably get around to doing it at some point, but that is a very long way off. If I do it I would break it down into episodes and do it at a battalion level, like I did with the Battle of Landen (Neerwinden). I plan to do the Great Northern War battles next, so go ahead and good luck!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

I think that it's great you're doing this. If you want some reference, go to "obscure battles" website. there is a wealth of information on the battle.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Cheers, yes, seen that one, it will be one of my main sources, gives a decent overview, detailed map, OOB...but it's such a well-known battle there's almost too much readily available.
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

As you are knitting your design together you will discover a need for poetic license. In other words, make it your own - OWN IT! (I love that expression). Your design will be marvelous, I'm sure. I can't wait to see it. If you need some suggestions let me know.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Thanks, you've clearly more confidence that I have. As I mentioned, and you've confirmed, there's almost tooooooooo much information on this one, different OOBs and a wide variety of uniforms, some interpretation and consolidation will be required, but I've never shied away from making things up, ahem...using my own judgement.
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

I can't wait to see what you come with. You may wish to establish an approximate for the number of men in a unit; this means that you'll have to combine several units in to one regiment or brigade. The size of the unit depends on the length from side-to-side of the square and the total length of the battlefield. It is a bit of a task,but in the end it will be a rewarding one.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

As the field extended for four miles and contained well over 100,000 combatants I'm going for 25 x 50 and either brigades or half-brigades, depending upon their size, and the 64 unit limit. At Phillipe's suggestion I'm massively reducing the saturation in paint.net to lessen the 'toy soldier' effect from my Poltava scenario. There's plenty of free information on just about every aspect of the battle, terrain, OOBs, uniforms, flags, etc, but the one area that's got me stymied is French cavalry flags: there's detailed information on the infantry, but very little on the cavalry. I don't want to be too anal about it, as the idea is to create a decent wargame scenario, and there're perfectly good designs that I can copy from the other games, but does anyone know of a source (free!) for French cavalry flags of the War of the Spanish Succession? I've Googled the obvious places. Cheers
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Hi Odenathus,

I am afraid I don't know of any free source of WSS French cavalry flags. You could look at the Seven Years War Project site. I think the flags did not change much between the WSS and SYW.

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... rench_Army

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Thanks Paul, you're probably right, I'll take a look.
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

I downloaded Battle of Blenheim, but after I select it by clicking on the check mark it goes so far and the check mark is grayed out and it stops and doesn't open.
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

Never mind. I reinstalled it and it works now. it looks gorgeous. Good job!
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

Great scenario. thanks so much. Hope to see many more 18th century musket and bayonet scenarios!
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Trouble is, many of the battles are very similar: two great long lines of (admittedly pretty) musket + bayonet armed infantry blasting away at each other, pretty much impervious to cavalry unless they're already fragmented.
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

it should be really interesting to have a little mod based on Blenheim scenario for skirmishes in this period
ReinerAllen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ReinerAllen »

I would like to see more battles of the period, including battles of the War of Austrian Succession.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Skirmish mods for the War of the Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War would be great!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Doyley50 wrote:Skirmish mods for the War of the Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War would be great!
Excellent idea. Paul?
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Scenario Design”