No loyalty to iPad users by Slitherine

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: No loyalty to iPad users by Slitherine

Post by smjohnso77 »

Slitherine sends us emails daily about our next turns on our challenge games and on the status of those games. They could have easily sent us a warning that updating on Apple iPads would cause us to lose our games. I play on a used iPad that has never been updated, but my two new iPads that I specially bought to play Pike & Shot on are practically worthless to me now after the update. I wish you would stop passing the buck and just get some IT temps to update your games to accommodate the many customers that lost their favorite games because you refuse to update.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I completely understand your frustration. We are as upset about this as you are. We really would like to support our games on iOS but Apple have prevented it by blocking 32 bits, which could easily run on the hardware.

We tried notifying people of the upcoming changes on iOS through the forums and product pages. For months, every time you ran the game you would get a pop up warning you that the game would stop working soon as it was a 32 bit app (this was done by Apple as they prevented us from submitting an update to warn you and it did not tell you that if you chose not to update you could continue running the game, but we have no control over it).

We didn't consider using email notifications as we could not differentiate iOS and PC users, but we did think that people would know about it based on all the warnings and the publicity in the press and coverage on our site.

Updating these games to 64 bit is almost as much work as writing the game from scratch due to the way it is so mod friendly. It is not like porting a Unity game, so despite what you might have read this is not a job for an IT temp. It would take director level involvement for many months on each title adding up to many years of development time which would bankrupt us if we tried to do it. We'd love to be able to bring the games to 64 bit but sadly its not possible.
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

I'm way past pushing for any work on these older 32 bit games but with the loss of BA on iPAD and the halt of development of the BA series in general, I think most folks here would agree that there is now a gap in the Slitherine line-up for a fun, atmospheric tactical WW II game.

Steel Panther is sure to be a detailed simulation with mega weapon databases etc but will not fill the "fun" gap left by the BA series.

Would Slitherine have any ideas of filling that gap in the future?

And if so, would it consider putting that on IOS as a fresh 64 bit deployment?

If such intentions were made known perhaps folks would not feel as "abandoned" as they seem to be on this thread.

I know I would look forward to it.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

For the record, I love Slitherine's games. I'm addicted to Pike & Shot and would love an update as all those who lost games. Thank you for your great stuff. I just really wish you would make your stuff available on iTunes. It would pay off. Just disappointed by your policy on this. I hope you will change your mind. Please!
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

Slithering daily emails us about the next turn or updates on our challenges. They could have easily emailed us about not updating. Apple never emails us. They just update, but does not thoroughly explain what are the concecoinces of updating. Slithering is more active in contacting us. Slithering wants to pass the buck in these posts, but an email could have warned hundreds or thousands of U.S. About what updating to 11.2 and above would cause us to lose our games. It would have been good customer service. It seems the posta and answers are to pass the buck rather than to update or offer us a way to get our games back with an update.
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

Apple never sends emails to its users. Slithering sends daily emails on challenges. PThey could have warned us. So many lost their games and the money they spent on them. It is not fair. My friend Waterheady loved your games so much. We ran 15 to 20 challenges at a time against each other. Noe he cannot play at all. He just bought the game two or three months ago. It's not fair. Stop passing the buck and blaming someone else. Please update! It is only right and shoes loyalty to your customers with Apple.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

IainMcNeil wrote:I completely understand your frustration. We are as upset about this as you are. We really would like to support our games on iOS but Apple have prevented it by blocking 32 bits, which could easily run on the hardware.

We tried notifying people of the upcoming changes on iOS through the forums and product pages. For months, every time you ran the game you would get a pop up warning you that the game would stop working soon as it was a 32 bit app (this was done by Apple as they prevented us from submitting an update to warn you and it did not tell you that if you chose not to update you could continue running the game, but we have no control over it).

We didn't consider using email notifications as we could not differentiate iOS and PC users, but we did think that people would know about it based on all the warnings and the publicity in the press and coverage on our site.

Updating these games to 64 bit is almost as much work as writing the game from scratch due to the way it is so mod friendly. It is not like porting a Unity game, so despite what you might have read this is not a job for an IT temp. It would take director level involvement for many months on each title adding up to many years of development time which would bankrupt us if we tried to do it. We'd love to be able to bring the games to 64 bit but sadly its not possible.
I'm sorry the thread is now closed.

Return to “Tech Support”