Game crashes - can't play

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Game crashes - can't play

Post by pantherboy »

When I click the shortcut the menu appears. I then click "Play game" and the screen begins flashing. It goes from a black screen to showing my desktop back to black endlessly. With great difficulty I can close the game in the task bar after jumping through hoops and then receive the following message:

***Unhandled exception! ExpCode: 0xC0000005 ExpFlags:0 ExpAddress: 0x004E8BD2 Please report!

If I then try and start the game again it becomes impossible to stop the screen flashing and requires me to shutdown the computer. Restarting the computer and playing the game results in the above occurring and receipt of error message but trying to open it a second time requires shutting down the PC again.

This has been happening on and off since I started playing a month ago. It seems to rectify itself a day or two later. I've noted it happens after a forced update of windows 10 but this time there has been no update.

At a total loss!

Cheers,

Steve
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Game crashes - can't play

Post by zakblood »

more info needed,
How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.
add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)

did the game work before the update?

did the pc have a different version of windows installed when you first installed the game?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Try deleting the options.txt file from My Documents/My Games/PIKEANDSHOT and re-running the game to see if it helps.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

It magically started working again without any adjustments though I did shutdown the PC and came back to it at the end of the day (when the problem occurred I did shut it down and started it up again after a shower but it still had the same issue). The next time it happens I will try the presented options.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

The problem has started again. Since the last time I haven't downloaded anything nor had any updates. Ostensibly the PC is unchanged. At a loss. I have attached requested specs.

Cheers,

Steve
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
Requested dxdiag
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

zakblood_slith wrote:
did the game work before the update?

did the pc have a different version of windows installed when you first installed the game?
Yes to both questions but after I started having the issue I reinstalled everything and also downloaded it on steam with the same results.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to change the virus stuff but I am struggling. I'm not PC savvy plus it is run by a third party McAfee which doesn't allow me to change or even enter certain sections.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Try deleting the options.txt file from My Documents/My Games/PIKEANDSHOT and re-running the game to see if it helps.

Cheers

Pip
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

VPaulus wrote:
pipfromslitherine wrote:Try deleting the options.txt file from My Documents/My Games/PIKEANDSHOT and re-running the game to see if it helps.

Cheers

Pip
Sorry I forgot to mention I tried that but to no avail.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

pantherboy wrote: Sorry I forgot to mention I tried that but to no avail.
What's the installation path? C:\Program Files (x86)\.....?
If it's, please uninstall and reinstall the game in a different path; try install it in for example C:\Games\.....
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

It is working again even though I didn't make any changes. Go figure!
jjaquemond
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jjaquemond »

This same thing has started happening to me! game was running fine, and then suddenly it's crashing at launch. Exact same thing as the OP above

It goes from a black screen, to showing my desktop, back to black endlessly flashing

Was a fix ever discovered?

I've tried all the below suggestions - I'm concerned it might be a Steam issue, thought I've tried offline and online - but result in the same seizure-inducing flash? Any thoughts?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please check if any of your Internet security programs is interfering.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

jjaquemond wrote:This same thing has started happening to me! game was running fine, and then suddenly it's crashing at launch. Exact same thing as the OP above

It goes from a black screen, to showing my desktop, back to black endlessly flashing

Was a fix ever discovered?

I've tried all the below suggestions - I'm concerned it might be a Steam issue, thought I've tried offline and online - but result in the same seizure-inducing flash? Any thoughts?
This is almost always an issue with resolution. Check the options file to see whether the rezX and Y values match your physical screen resolution.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
jjaquemond
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jjaquemond »

Much appreciate the quick response Pip - I was muddling my way through and stumbled upon the (semi) solution as well. Windowing the game stopped the problem...which led me to think it had something to do w the resolution

Many thanks

JJ

Return to “Tech Support”