FYI Potential Issue for Users of Norton Security Products

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

FYI Potential Issue for Users of Norton Security Products

Post by Triarii »

For your information -

I am a Norton Internet Security User - in a routine scan this morning the Pike & Shot Campaigns autorun.exe was quarantined and then automatically removed.
This was done on the basis of an automated statistical analysis by the Norton software and a reported WS.Reputation.1 threat.
This threat simply reflects the fact that there are very few users in the Norton Community and not that this is a virus per se - it is a result of Norton's, otherwise useful, risk averse approach..

If you are a Norton User - (apparently there are at least another 53 in the Norton Community) - be aware that this might happen and you will need to use the restore facility; Which you should find in Norton Security History, against the specific threat removal notification and under 'More Options'.

You can also flag the file to protect it from future scans and/or submit feedback to Norton.

I have restored the file successfully on my system and sent feedback to Norton.
Consequently this post does not need a support response from Slitherene and is intended to inform only.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FYI Potential Issue for Users of Norton Security Product

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Thanks for the info. We do have a process to ensure that the games are on the whitelists of the AV companies, but unfortunately it is not an instant process for them to push out changes and updates.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Can you please tell us with which specific file did you get the WS.Reputation.1 threat?
Triarii

Post by Triarii »

Sorry VPaulus been away for a week - it was the autorun.exe
Cheers
Mike

Return to “Tech Support”