BATTLE: DNIEPR 1943- BOUKRINE. GERMAN SP CAMPAIN BY DKDOM

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.
Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

dkdom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

BATTLE: DNIEPR 1943- BOUKRINE. GERMAN SP CAMPAIN BY DKDOM

Post by dkdom »

L-O Everyone....

It's my first work on BA2 after 4 campains on BA.
This one is called a battle. It's a six map campain on lincked maps.
Here is a view of the battlefield.

The project for me is to do three or four more battles from Boukrine in september 43 to the Terkassy-Korsun's Cauldron in february 44 and to alternate German and soviet Side.
So there will be other maps in the future. The next one will be a Russian one around Kiev.

Thanks again to Jean Francois and Morge4 who have already tested my maps...
As usual, some screenshots of my tests plays....

And ten the linck...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/162 ... UKRINE.LST

For the one who don't know my work on Battle Academy, here are the lincks of my previous campains on the Western front...
-French 1940 Solo Campain: http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=53167
-First Days in Normandy. http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=55344
-German 1940 Solo Campain. http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=64644
-Armour Germans.http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=65959

So have fun.... And a good fight.... :D

sturmer25
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: BATTLE: DNIEPR 1943- BOUKRINE. GERMAN SP CAMPAIN BY DKDO

Post by sturmer25 »

So far this plays AMAZINGLY well. Great job including the interesting terrain and layout. As a 30+ year wargamer and an SP BA1 & 2 gamer that rarely or maybe never has commented on here, this pack made me figure out my password.I want to say the first scenario in this pack is better than most official and other scenarios I have played. I havent tried the rest yet. I was playing for 2-3 hours a night and for SP the weakness is the AI. This is intense, but I should have expected it after the Libya scenario from him where German and ITalian armor are torches blazing in the desert. (see German Armour)

For any Single Players I highly recommend. I have plaid DKDOMs other packs in BA and some of them are bitter and challenging slogs, some overwhelmingly huge... all great but here.. wow so far.

Great job DKDOM. :-) Looking forward to continuing.
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

As sturmer stated, the first scenario in this campaign is no joke. It has the desperation feel of the Eastern Front where you can't make any glaring tactical mistakes or be overrun by sheer numbers. In the end it was my tracked vehicles that saved the day, using them as flash brigades.

Edit- I just played the second scenario, Paras, it is just as challenging. I don't know if you increased mortar effectiveness or not but they were devastating on my infantry and even armour too suppressing it. This is all very well done.
Last edited by MacD2013 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkdom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dkdom »

Honestly, thanks for that return.... Hi, MacD, I did the same thing with the trucks in Boukrine..... It saved my day too.....
And Lybia, was intense too stumer, as you said about the torches in the desert....
Cool to read that....
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

dkdom wrote:Honestly, thanks for that return.... Hi, MacD, I did the same thing with the trucks in Boukrine..... It saved my day too.....
And Lybia, was intense too stumer, as you said about the torches in the desert....
Cool to read that....
DK, I'm hoping you have some other campaigns on your brain too. I loved your BA1 stuff. Maybe the Courland Pocket? I'm selfishly waiting for a full Case Blue campaign from someone...anyone lol. Enric has some fantastic Stalingrad stand alone multiplayers but I'm waiting for a single player campaign.
apple1

Post by apple1 »

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posters regarding the top-notch quality of this campaign. Very tough scenarios overall, but in the best sense of the word. Nice variety of toolkits throughout, with little or no wastage -- you must use every resource you are given for very specific tasks, eg use your scouts to scout, your snipers to snipe, etc. And good lessons on the timing of when to switch a defensive posture to an offensive one. Very well planned out scenarios. The last scenario did seem easier than the rest, could be toughened a bit to match the level of the others. Or perhaps it was just that I was getting better at BA2 after getting through the others? That's a nice thought.

Thank you very much indeed for these! Great work ... Look forward to the next one!!!!
dkdom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dkdom »

Thanks for your reply Apple1.It helps... I like very much the way you describe all your game sensations....
Tanks burning in Libya, trucks who saved the day and the inexorable attrition of the infantry.... Kinds of memories and sensations I had on these maps too and that you only have in tactical wargames....

To Apple1: The last map was of the boukrine battle was completely apart of the others.... A kind of gift after the five others..... I think that the "ease feeling" is real.... You have everything you need, Bumbar, Tigers, mortars.... And mens.... Contrary to the first ones.... And perhaps too, you were better at the end..... :D
To MacD2013: Courland, was never in my mind.... I don't have any documentation about there too.. Case Blue would be better in my mind.... :D

There will be more.... I still have got maps in stock.... About twenty allies normandy maps, mostly anglo britain, about five or six US which are not completely tested, and three german maps finished... An Allied Armour with five already done and tested maps (Could be cool to have a BA2 armour too...). The second Dniepr 43 ( this time on the Lyutzeh bridgehead with russians troops ) has two maps. And I began few month ago a french 2DB campain around Colmar ( Jebsheim- Grussenheim ) in January 1945. But for this one, I have a big graphic work to do because i'm re-painting winter skins for every unit ( allies side is already done, still have to paint the germans....)

Thanks again for that precious returns... In the beginning, I was the first player of my maps.... Going for myself, the maps I would like to play on this game..... And perhaps too, having a different idea of using this game.... I'm a long time player of tactical wargames board or computer... Squad leader, Steel panther, Close Combat and then this one.... I spent hundred hours on Rts too ( from AoE to Blitzkrieg ), I think that the "taste of" huge maps comes from that too.... :D
Paradox is that after thousands of view and certainly of testing on this forum, just a twenty of you spent a minut to share impressions and have give an opinion on these maps... Not a regret about the thousands, but very precious for the twenty..... Perhaps, I had a différent idea of this game, and I see that people like it, and I am still a bit surprised of that, in fact....
So it's good for me....
So there will be more....

Sharing is an important thing, some things are made to be spread....

Borg
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Borg »

Dear DKDOM, I'm one of those guys who generally browse the forum to get the best mods and scenario downloads and don't comment much, however I wanted to SPECIFICALLY stop by and tell you thanks for such lovely campaigns. I LOVE SP missions against AI. It gets narrative.
To me - my best and most pleasing are the BA1 type of settings (as in western forces against axis) and am aware that you also made some smacking hot ones there too. Especially the beaches type missions.

Alongside BA2. Will you release US/UK vs axis on a BA2 framework ?

I'm also somewhat surprised why there aren't many more like you doing SP campaigns - I guess you are one of the rare ones :)
We're not lost, Private, we're in Normandy.
jeggs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jeggs »

Hi dkdom,

Thanks a lot for SP scenarios, really enjoyed playing them. Some feedback: Imho, the size of the reinforcements in the defensive scenarios is too large, the scenarios are really tense, but after the second or even third wave of reinforcements arrive, it is mostly mopping up.
dkdom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dkdom »

Finding a good balance is always the hardest part of that job.... Mostly because, usaually, I'm the first and only tester of my maps and real feed backs are rare... I don't want tese maps to be too hard, but not too easy too...
For the others who play my maps, don't hesitate to say me if jeggs's return is right...

Thanks...
rwm59
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rwm59 »

dkdom wrote:Finding a good balance is always the hardest part of that job.... Mostly because, usaually, I'm the first and only tester of my maps and real feed backs are rare... I don't want tese maps to be too hard, but not too easy too...
For the others who play my maps, don't hesitate to say me if jeggs's return is right...

Thanks...
Hi,
balanced or not REALLY THANKS!
Finally, someone who build a campaign for SP and German player....
BTW this campaign ir really really fine and the map are so good!
Congrats & compliments!
Ric
( tired and bored to play a Soviet Ref Guard in SP)
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks a lot for the new campaign. :D :D
Richard

Return to “Battle Academy 2: Scenario Design”