BA2 Crashing Windows 10

Tech support for Battle Academy 2

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

BA2 Crashing Windows 10

Post by psklenar »

BA2 Build 1.0.4 with Battle of Kursk (purchased and installed via Steam)
Windows 10 Home, Build 10586

Random hard crashes during game play. Screen goes dark, sound fades out, PC reboots.

I can't see a common denominator ... It's happened when I was moving the mouse, when I touched the keyboard (I like to zoom out with the Down Arrow key and turnt eh view with the left & rigth arrow keys) and when I've just been staring at the screen trying to decide on a strategy.

The attached archives includes the requested DxDiag report and a, not requested but worthwhile I think, System Information report and the last three crash MiniDump files.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide that might help trouble shoot this issue. Thank you,
pat----
Attachments
psklenar_BA2_crashes_SystemInfo.zip
(132.52 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
psklenar_BA2_crashes_MiniDumps.zip
(219.67 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
psklenar_BA2_crashes_DxDiag.zip
(13.86 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: BA2 Crashing Windows 10

Post by zakblood »

atm the problems in yout report are windows ones and not game related

Code: Select all

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1/en-US/5.1.2600.0.00000000.9.9?SGD=70682990-c615-46c6-b954-5d4c84eaf97a&Bucket=0x116_TdrBCR%3aD_Tdr%3a9_DxgKdxFailed_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
This problem is being researched (by Microsoft)

as your already using steam, and steam pre loads all files need to run game no matter if you have them or not on each game installation, from the DxDiag report only, which is the only one i can read, others will look at the other ones, there is nothing game related in there regarding crashes, all hardware and software error codes from windows itself, seems your windows version has more than just this game errors,

the very first one,

0x116_TdrBCR:D_Tdr:9_DxgKdxFailed_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

is a memory code error from the system memory to the video memory card (only answer i can find for this is try a different driver, latest or a older one and retry game)

then as something else to try, Changed the PhysX processor setting in NVIDIA Control Panel (3D Settings > Set PhysX Configuration > Select a PhysX processor) from 'Auto-select (recommended)' to 'GeForce GTX 570'

this above is known Nvidia game issue, something that nobody here can do anything about,

sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling may help, as it will alter the boot order the game loads in, not always but again worth a try,,,

run SFC and CheckDisk

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
links for win 7 but same info for win 10 btw, this checks for faulty files and repairs as you have a few LiveKernelEvent errors also logged.

good luck, not saying any will help tbh, it's trial and error with windows errors i'm sorry to say, another staff member may see the other log files and also suggest something totally different that may work better as well
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

Thank you, I'm about to head to work, but will try these suggestions when I get home this evening.
pat----
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

I've made a change (setting PhysX processor to explicit GPU vs leaving it at Auto) and will test.

One other note I thought I should mention ... I've been playing BA1 with the Mega Pack on this same PC with the same drivers for 6+ months without a single crash. BA2 is the only app that crashes the system.

pat----
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It's likely that BA2 just happens to be touching a different piece of memory in the video card etc. It looks like you have a WHQL driver installed and basically that certifies that it should be impossible for an application to kill the driver (and thus the system).

A couple of things you could try are disabling the sound (add NOSOUND 1 to your user.txt file in My Documents/My Games/BA2), or running the game in windowed mode (via the advanced options) to see if either effect the issue.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

I replaced the video card, being careful to remove all signs of the prior drivers (including running cleanup tools under Safe Mode) before installing the new card and new drivers. And ... BA2 crashed again this morning. :(

A difference is that the music kept playing for a minute or two after the screen went black. Then the music stopped and all drive activity stopped, but the PC didn't reboot as it had with the prior video card. So there's no new MiniDump files. I have attached new DxDiag and SystemInfo files.

pat----
Attachments
psklenar_BA2_crashes_SystemInfo_2.zip
(154.26 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
psklenar_BA2_crashes_DxDiag_2.zip
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

have you tried what pipfromslitherine suggested ?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

To be honest crashing min-app, with different HW configs, (and assuming you have tried disabling the sound) appears most like a bad RAM stick, or potentially overheating of the system/video card.

Cheers

Pip
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

Considering that this is the only program I've run in the over two years since I assembled this PC to cause a crash like this, I really have trouble accepting it's a hardware issue. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that it's really difficult to believe this one game, which isn't even very resource intensive, could be finding a weak joint that nothing else has been able to -- flight sim's, FPS's, RTS's, photo editing, video editing, DBMS testing (SQL Server 2014 w/IS, AS and RS installed), etc.

> (add NOSOUND 1 to your user.txt file in My Documents/My Games/BA2)

had no effect, sound continued to play, so I didn't really test this. Should I instead set change SOUND 1 to SOUND 0 in OPTIONS.TXT?

I tried changing to WINDOWED mode ... upon restart it shows as WINDOWED in ADVANCED SETTINGS, but it's still FULLSCREEN. I tried changing the resolution and it does use less of the screen, but it's not a movable window??? Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I'll do more testing this evening.

Thank you,
pat----
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

I have successfully played my first an entire battle without a crash. Sound is on. In Advanced Settings, it says it's in WINDOWED mode, but it's actually in full screen (3440x1440) with no window controls??? Regardless ... it didn't crash once. More testing to come.

pat----
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

3440x1440 may cause issues as i'd guess it's never been tested to run at that res, and will push your card as well on high end game, not this one mind you

Display Memory: 18341 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
Shared Memory: 16351 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)

do the maths, you having got enough Dedicated Memory at 1989 MB to run at that res or higher on any high end game, low to middle end yes it will be fine but tbh that res should be a 4gb dedi card, with shared memory used for one it's not fast enough to display images once you get past a certain res, and never was meant to be used to replace dedi card ram like this for gaming, just general slower app and program use

34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440)

google would a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 do 3440x1440?

results = yes it works, but from low to medium settings on and low fps, the size needs more ram to work better or more successfully at higher res

with the blue screens a totally different issiue altogether
Fault bucket 0x116_TdrBCR:D_Tdr:9_DxgKdxFailed_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Event Name: BlueScreen

Response: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/resr ... 4c84eaf97a
imo this isn't a game crashing windows 10 issue, it's a card and driver and settings issue, with the game being a sideline, good luck with the testing and hope it works well, but imo you have limited your system with the card in use, the card is a good card and works well at lower res, but was never meant to display more than movies and general programs on this high, so some error's may or may not happen, but aren't game dependant, but hardware and software i'm sorry to say.

the results from the second card tested work, for one because it's a better card with more dedi ram on it

Display Memory: 38783 MB
Dedicated Memory: 6047 MB
Shared Memory: 32735 MB
Current Mode: 3440 x 1440 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Acer X34(DP)
Monitor Model: Acer X34

if first card had been used as a lower res, that also would have worked :wink:
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

> if first card had been used as a lower res, that also would have worked :wink:

Okay ... so why does the current card (GTX 980 Ti) crash when I run BA2 in 3440x1440 FULLSCREEN mode, but not when i run it in 3440x1440 WINDOWED mode? :) And the GTX 770 was crashing at 2560x1440 FULLSCREEN too.

Perhaps the issue is BA2 has a problem with FULLSCREEN that's somehow bypassed by running in a full screen equivalent WINDOWED mode?

Odd,
pat----
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

just goggled some replies

https://steamcommunity.com/app/212480/discussions/0/617329797182602460/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/830962/geforce-drivers/updated-to-352-63-which-removed-my-ability-to-set-windowed-resolution-in-d3/
and could post more than a few pages tbh,

first your lucky it even works at that res, and with a simple search online on that res and card there literaly 100/1000 of users posting this game or that doesn't work or work but gives errors at that res, while some says it's a card driver error, see geforce link others says it's a combo of both, while ram is always an issue with the higher up res,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5K_resolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_resolution
these spec's need 8 to 16gb of ram to run mind you or a totally new design of drivers to support them, but as long as they work, the game should also, but get to a certain size and stuff like menu's etc will be or could be next to un readable atm

10240 × 4320 2.33:1 (21:9)

with the default being 7680 × 4320 1.78:1 (16:9)

go much past 1920x1080 and in war games for the next few years, any issue could be card or driver related first, with game code being a secondary issue, anyone who wishes for higher res and larger screens needs to be aware of this, as main stream gaming only in the past year or so has started to test and support these sort of display sizes, with the rest not having the resources and equipment enough to test, in a few more years maybe they will be more supported as of yet, i myself haven't upgraded for that very reason, just because something out, doesn't mean everyone will support it, windows 10 yes, as the user base is high, high end and spec cards and monitors are in the realms of if it works fine, if it doesn't it's hardware and most developers won't have the resources or time / money imo to support it / them, but that's only my opinion mind you, but it's from posts i've seen now on many support forums from many main stream developers with large support and staff, if they can't or aren't doing it as yet, not of the littler ones will for maybe a while yet i''m sorry to say.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Perhaps the issue is BA2 has a problem with FULLSCREEN that's somehow bypassed by running in a full screen equivalent WINDOWED mode?
first there's a few modes,

full screen

boarderless

or windowed mode

the difference is how the display is well displayed, choosing one and altering the res and running benchmarks for the same pc spec, the difference on the same card an drivers can be little in real terms, but enough to make on the high res the difference between a game running and the code giving a error as the Vram on the card gets full and the temps on the card get's higher as the onboard cpu gets used and pushed more, which if fan control is on, the noise gets louder as your card works harder, while it's not normal for a war game to do this, add in the higher res, pushing the card Vram to it's limit's, which forces the onboard cpu to work harder to display, as it's users slower system ram to page some stuff out, so higher temps, slow FPS results and a louder card, just for a higher screen res :wink:

example of a 5k setup

5120 × 2880 16:9 14.75 megapixels
5120 × 3840 4:3 19.66 megapixels

so depending on the res, which one is going to make the card run hotter and slower? the one that has to display the larger amount of information on screen at once, as most find menu's also harder to read on this size setups, the again alter the default DPI, which can double or triple the amount of card effort, resulting in, game / app/ program crash, as the card just can't cope.

this is the main reason why we see, dual card, triple card and quad cards now being used

and now 8 cards if you have $30k to spend

https://youtu.be/LXOaCkbt4lI
to cut this down shorter, all you need to know is, the high res you go, the more memory it uses to display, which in turn alters or can how the card preforms so temps can rise resulting in higher noise for yes lower spec pc games and past a certain part lower FPS, to increase FPS, add in more memory eg faster Vram not slower system ram, faster card or more of them.

as i'm bringing you into my world with geek talk, i'll leave it at that and say good luck and happy gaming :wink:
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Also try disabling the Nvidia Control Panel >> Management 3D Settings >> DSR - Factors (tick off all the options)

I have already seen games crashing thanks to this option.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you run in a windowed mode with the same resolution as your screen then you do indeed get pretty much the same experience as with fullscreen, but the driver paths for fullscreen and windowed are very different. If it works as windowed in full resolution then that is great.

Cheers

Pip
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

pipfromslitherine wrote:When you run in a windowed mode with the same resolution as your screen then you do indeed get pretty much the same experience as with fullscreen, but the driver paths for fullscreen and windowed are very different. ..."
I had no idea about that and it certainly helps explain why the game hasn't crashed once since I made that change!

Thank you all for your patience and assistance. I'm thoroughly loving BA2!

pat----
psklenar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by psklenar »

Well, it's been two weeks since switching to "full screen windowed mode" and not a single crash. Thank you all for your assistance!
pat----
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

glad to see it's still working and sorted, enjoy the game commander

Return to “Tech Support”