Very Difficult

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Munkie
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Very Difficult

Post by Munkie »

I really like the game however I am having a Hell'uva a time with the first scenario in the campaign. I am sending units forward in groups with crossbow support plunking at enemies, but then I am overrun regardless of support positions.

I do take in to account using terrain however there isn't a height advantage in this first scenario. I have the game set to normal, so I would like some tips. I am not a newbie to TBS games, so this is a bit disheartening to begin the game with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Very Difficult

Post by zakblood »

have you done the tutorials?
radneto
Hunted Cow
Hunted Cow

Post by radneto »

I think the game can be quite challenging for new players, stick with it, it's really fun once you get the tactics worked out. Charge with your spearmen, try and move your men at arms into supporting positions and shoot with the crossbows.
John Stewart
Hunted Cow Studios LTD.
Magnum50
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Magnum50 »

I came here for the same reason... I got slaughtered in the first mission, and don't understand why...I am usually very tactically efficient in these games, playing and loving the hell out of both BA1 and 2... I know to use my strong close combat units to protect the range units and mages, and I know how to use combine arms, and proper flanking movements... like I said, with some tanks and infantry I do quite well especially against AI... but HELL is brutal.

I couldn't move units into position to protect high value units, and when I did the beasts of hell just shot right over them, ignoring my protectors. Movement was slow and limited, trying to use the river to protect the flanks, just never worked... Now don't get me wrong, loving the game and idea of the game, (even thou while playing I just kept wanting to go play BA2, lol) I did the tutorials and understand the concept... but this damn game is overly hard. IMO

But will re-do the tutorials, and try again...

My very first game, on iPad:
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

I agree, I'm not a complete newbie and it seems to be very difficult not to get completely overrun, even on the 1st campaign level.

The game idea is great - I'm really happy it's out for iPad. I've done the tutorials which are a god basic intro, but do little to advise of advanced use of different classes. I use (fairly obviously) the spearman for charge, men at arms for support and crossbow for shooting - thats not the best tactical advice I've seen to be honest ;)

I can have 5 units wiped in a single turn, which decimates my force and renders the round pointless...could be great, but this is reducing some enjoyment. I had seen this 'critism' levelled at the pc version.. but didn't realise the extent. I don't want an easy game, but balanced!
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

I beat this mission by moving through the forest instead of to the left and into the heart of the town. Put a small force in the village for flank protection. The forest gives a cover 1 rating while the buildings are cover 2, which is the best you can get in HELL, similar to BA2's 53% rating. This should increase your units' survivability when attacked.

The Spearmen have an ability called "Lance" that allows them to attack two targets in a line (whether along an X,Y, or Z axis). If possible don't just charge with your Spearmen but set up these Lance attacks. What I try to do is wound the back demon with a Crossbow, then Lance attack to (hopefully) wound the front demon while killing the back one. Then use the Spearman's second attack to kill the front demon. The Spearmen are definitely your best troops in this mission and using them fully is a big key to winning.

Charging with Man-at-Arms is fine since it significantly increases their chance of hitting and also lends a support/flanking bonus to subsequent attacks. They are really hamstrung by having only one attack so the Charge is huge for them. For Spearmen the positioning can be more important.

You'll take losses but if you use cover well (especially cover 2), maximize your Spearmen, and are more efficient inflicting loses than taking them, you should come out on top. Don't overextend because the ample Demon reinforcements can overwhelm you and you receive only 4 more units yourself.

I hope this helps.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

way to post spoilers Iron Fist. If we wanted to know how you did it we'd ask. Next time put (spoilers in your topic line) so we can overlook your bragging. thanks
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Thanks for the helpful info Iron Fist - that really helps. :)

I think if your post starts with "I beat this misson by....." thats a fairly good disclaimer myself. Although I think there's more to this than a specific post.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Agreed - saying there will be demon reinforcements or you get some yourself is like saying there will be German panzers in WW2. Methinks Igorputski overreacted especially in a thread where posters were asking for detailed help in beating a mission they were having a lot of trouble with, and it was the second to last sentence. He probably shouldn't have kept reading.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Nope what I said stands. If you're going to give win situations you should have the courtesy for others that may read this thread to post a "spoiler alert" As all the title said was "Very Difficult" that could mean any number of things down the line. Just think of others before you braggart out some remark next time with a "spoiler alert".
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Lovely, managed victory and learnt some new things so that was very helpful.
bobk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by bobk »

Since when is discussing your strategy for a mission, and mentioning how to use your own troops abilities a "spoiler". A spoiler is telling you a certain thing will happen at a certain time or place. Also, how is this any more of a spoiler than posting a video of what happens during the mission?
Thank you IronFist for helping players with a difficult mission and increasing their enjoyment, instead of frustration of the game. And also pointing out useful ways to use your own troops attacks.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

You're welcome bobk.
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

put up a Multi player and you'll likely learn some things...MP is much more challenging...
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Now maybe you can see why NOT to put SPOILERS into threads like this. The game is not selling well and there are but a handful of fans even on Steam for it. Because ironfist blurted out spoilers and that stupid video.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Dude (igorputski), normally I have better things to do, but you are so hilarious I had to reply. First, did you bother to read the steam reviews? Not one mention of spoilers or videos, but plenty of posts about unbalanced battles in favor of the AI. Second, not one review over 16hrs played, but plenty of 1 and 2 hrs, then I assume people quitting in frustration.
Why don't you make yourself useful and promote the game, or provide info and tips on tactics for beating the AI.
I picked thiis game up as part of a bundle, and admit I haven't played it as yet, but nothing coming out of your pie hole is inspiring me to boot it up.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i've finished it and played it a few times, done a mod or 2 for it but never released it, used the editor and think it's really good, but yes most just give it the time and that's a shame, plus steam is full of kids tbh so don't go there very much if i'm honest either, but game hasn't had the love it deserved as it is a very good game imo.

:wink:
bobk

Post by bobk »

I've enjoyed the videos I've seen, but I have been pretty much a standard wargame type till now. My concern was the complaints about the difficulty, even on the 1st mission.
I suppose you could go into the editor and make a few changes...
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes, and can alter each mission if you like, i did, it's easy and quick and then you can have any amount of units or money etc, and alter it to your play style or ability

viewtopic.php?f=307&t=54051

editor ^^
bobk

Post by bobk »

Thanks Zak, I will look into that when I'm ready to battle the demons. Right now I'm having too much fun with Battle Academy.

Return to “Hell”