ZoC

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

divi8
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

ZoC

Post by divi8 »

So I bought the ipad version of Hell and read the rules.

There are some things I don't understand abiut the Zone of Control and reading the manual didn't help.

ZoC is indicated by red diagonal lines around the enemy, you can' t enter these squares. But you can enter the ZoC indicated by the green diagonal lines. I don't understand why and how the green diagonal line square is determined?

Sometimes a enemy can't be approached, sometimes a enemy be approached in one square by one of my units. And Once a unit is adjacent to that enemy, another of my units who could not move adjacent to the enemy, now has suddenly a few green diagonal squares in the ZoC of that enemy.

I have no clue how the mechanism of the ZoC works. Can someone explain me please?

Thanks in advance!

(i do hope you inderstand my English and what I try to explain!)
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: ZoC

Post by IronFist00 »

Hi and welcome to the game. In the simplest terms every unit exerts a ZoC in all 8 squares around it. In order for an enemy unit to enter one of those squares it needs at least one attack left. If it doesn't have any attacks it won't be able.

I play the PC version and it shows three different colored squares. Green for normal movement, yellow for when it will stop because of a ZoC, and red for can't be entered.

Two things to note: range units engaged in melee can't use their range attack. Any unit in melee that wants to reposition has to pass a maneuver check.

There is more to it but that’s the general stuff. Does it help?
divi8

Post by divi8 »

Very helpful.

Thanks very much.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

I'm glad I could help. One further point I meant to list but forgot: friendly units block movement. Sometimes movement paths open up for units depending on which order you move them in. Part of the tactics in HELL (and BA2) are the order you move units and attack with them. This can be as important as having +Support or +Flank with your melee attacks.

For example you have a ranged unit next to a melee unit. If you try and move the ranged unit it risks failing its maneuver check and even if it succeeds it will lose an attack. It would be better to attack and try to kill the adjacent unit and then allow the ranged unit to get its full set of attacks and movement.
divi8

Post by divi8 »

Thanks, but nevertheless I find the manual unsatisfactory.
Zone of contole for instance is not fully explained.
Sometimes a unit can't enter a certain tile of a ZoC without knowing why.

Last time, a enemy unit's Zoc south (let s call the tiles from left to right A, B and C) : i could enter the A and C tile but not the B with two units coming from the west. (There were free non zoc tiles beneath the A, B and C tiles). I still don't understand why I couldn't enter the B tile of the zoc...

Return to “Hell”